No more Momma Shepenga's?

Phoenix Within
Guru

No more Momma Shepenga's?

Post by Phoenix Within »

So driving by there the other day, I see their sign is down and the windows covered up in brown paper. There is some small signs saying a new restaurant is going in there. Don't know if it's by the same owners or not or what exactly it's going to be.

Anyone heard anything to why they closed or what's going in there?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Tootsie
Board Meister

Re: No more Momma Shepenga's?

Post by Tootsie »

Big sign posted above the entrance saying "Route's Grill".
racewife
Board Meister

Post by racewife »

The owner passed away. I heard the other day that it sold.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Tootsie wrote:Big sign posted above the entrance saying "Route's Grill".

Yea thanks, I managed to figure that much out on my won when I drove right past the building and saw the small signs. That sign is new though.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

OK, heard a bit more buzz about it today. Apparently bought by a former head chef of Cabana's in Kelowna (???). From all accounts it sounds like plans are that it's going to be really good. Not sure what type of menu though.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Yes, so sorry her young husband died, Thoughts with the young family. Great cooks and good snitzel sad to see them leave.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Never even been to Cabana's so that doesn't tell me much. Regardless, if it's something a little different that what's available, I certainly wish them well. Any idea of an opening date?
laurensawyer
Board Meister

Post by laurensawyer »

Tootsie wrote:OK, heard a bit more buzz about it today. Apparently bought by a former head chef of Cabana's in Kelowna (???). From all accounts it sounds like plans are that it's going to be really good. Not sure what type of menu though.

Aren't everyones plans that they are going to be "really good"? Nobody walks into the business saying "i am going to have a really good restauant" or "my restaurant is going to be ok"
SmileyEyes

Post by SmileyEyes »

Hubby and I just said we should go this weekend (Momma's) The food was terrific and the presentation wonderful! So, very sorry to hear it closed down and even sorrier to hear why. My thoughts are with Momma and their son.
KtownCouple
Fledgling

Post by KtownCouple »

I'd only been there once, but it was pretty good
Edison : I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Routes Grill is now open.

The menu consists of: soups, sandwiches, burgers, steaks, fish & chips, pizza, pasta dishes, salads. Apparently they will be adding their menu to their website soon.

I didn't really see much difference menu-wise from the previous owners' one. - except it was a smaller selection. Apparently everything is homemade from scratch. I had the fish & chips with coleslaw. Fish (cod) was good, fries were just OK, coleslaw was not to my personal preference (grated red cabbage & carrot with not much flavour).

I didn't have time to talk to the owner much but I'm hoping they'll change things up a bit and offer daily features for something different than the regular menu items.

I wish them the best of luck - tough location (weird access from Hwy.97).
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Talked to a fellow dog walker who went to the Grill, he had the chichen and said it was great and finished off his wife's Snitzel and also said it was moist and great. The owner also told him he was open to more suggestions. Sounds like we have another great eating hole and gathering place. All my best to the new owners, and will be there soon.
jzip

Post by jzip »

Last edited by jzip on Sep 18th, 2014, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Stopped by there the other day and it was very nice. They need to improve the atmosphere, in terms of decorating etc, but they are being careful about what they do and how much they spend, from what the lady owner said.
It has a good chance of being a success if they keep the quality up and change it up a bit. Prices were also reasonable.

Very sad about the previous owner.
You and 71 others Like this post
harvgar
Board Meister

Post by harvgar »

Just got in from supper at Routes Grill, it was Great!!!! We had the schnitzel with garlic mashies and a mixed salad with grilled albacore tuna!!!! Everything was delicious!!! Fresh and very flavourful! The service was very personable and attentive. Not over priced. Looking at what other people had ordered it looks like there are lots of good things to go back and try. We will be back!!! Good luck to the new owners. :sunshine:

Return to “Central Okanagan”