Starting a doggy daycare

nle
Fledgling

Starting a doggy daycare

Post by nle »

Im DEFINETLY wanting to start a doggy spa/daycare in lake country I have a huge fenced back yard , so much love for animals and I know that if you find what you love to do you will be successful... just dont want to give up my business if there isnt that much interest or intent here ...any feedback would be greatly appreciated...thankyou :sunshine:
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: starting a doggy daycare

Post by gardengirl »

I would suggest you do a lot of research. Check out existing facilities.
Ask lots of questions.
Put together a business plan.
Try to estimate all the costs, materials, ongoing expenses. Work out what your break even will be to see what it will take to make a profit.
Check the bylaws, it may not even be allowed in your area.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Check you local bylaws and zoning to see if you it's even possible to open one at your residence.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
nle
Fledgling

Post by nle »

ok lol umm sorry if you misunderstood me , I know all that "stuff" so thanks for that
what im asking is if there is any need for a daycare here in lake country and YES im allowed to have one where i live ...thanks again for input I already have a home based business for the last 10 yrs here so im not confused on how to start up etc :)
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

There are very few zonings that would allow this.....the fact that you said you have a "huge" yard would indicate that you most likely cannot have it there.
You and 71 others Like this post
nle
Fledgling

Post by nle »

LANDM wrote:There are very few zonings that would allow this.....the fact that you said you have a "huge" yard would indicate that you most likely cannot have it there.

once again YES i have checked and YES I can that is NOT the point of my questioning though i thankyou for that anyway it was the first thing i checked in to im not asking advice on what to do to start Im asking if there is enough interest to start .. :sunshine:
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

What qualifications do you need?
nle
Fledgling

Post by nle »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:What qualifications do you need?

Im sorry what are you referring to qualifications?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Probably do "you" have any qualifications to run a doggy daycare other than you "like" dogs?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Maybe start with just a few smaller breeds of dogs and work your reputation up.

Have "luxury blankets", quirky water bowls, nicely landscaped pee stations, maybe a fake firehydrant that will appeal to the OWNERS sensibilities/sense of humour.

Branch out to larger breeds later.

Hang your shingle as soon as possible. Who knows how many people would love your services but do not see castanet.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
nle
Fledgling

Post by nle »

Bsuds wrote:Probably do "you" have any qualifications to run a doggy daycare other than you "like" dogs?

actually yes i do but again thats not what i was asking on here lol Im needing to know if there is a NEED for one out here thats it thats all ok ty so much for asking though :)
nle
Fledgling

Post by nle »

Queen K wrote:Maybe start with just a few smaller breeds of dogs and work your reputation up.

Have "luxury blankets", quirky water bowls, nicely landscaped pee stations, maybe a fake firehydrant that will appeal to the OWNERS sensibilities/sense of humour.

Branch out to larger breeds later.

Hang your shingle as soon as possible. Who knows how many people would love your services but do not see castanet.

thanks for the info great ideas Ive already implemented a business plan...have had it for a while now just a little hesitant if i can pay the billls doing it out here is all :)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Maybe not every dog will come from strictly Lake Country. Say, an owner drives to LC to work, from XYZ, but would love a place to take their dog.

Or people would love to visit with friends, bring their dog, but need a place to leave their dog while they all go boating.

Or?

Would you quit your day job now to do this?
What kind of capital do you have to live on?
What kind of expenses are you carrying now, which can be cut out of your budget?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

I was curious if one needed any professional qualifications to run a doggy daycare, that's all.
A friend of ours ran one. He's since sold it. He was not good with dogs, and I don't think he had any professional training but he did have employees.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

nle wrote:actually yes i do but again thats not what i was asking on here lol Im needing to know if there is a NEED for one out here thats it thats all ok ty so much for asking though :)

If you want to know if there is a NEED for a doggy daycare in your area, do some market research and find out. Easy enough to put together a short questionnaire and leave it with pet stores, vet offices, groomers, etc., with permission of course, for their customers/clients to fill out. Pick them up weekly or bi-weekly and compile the info.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Central Okanagan”