Dear DOLC Fire Department

Kalvin K
Fledgling

Dear DOLC Fire Department

Post by Kalvin K »

My 2yo son is obsessed with your fire trucks.

Every weekday at approximately 7:20am my son and I drive by the fire hall on OK Center Road at Camp Road on our way to his daycare. About 3 months ago when we drove past the fire hall one of your engines was outside. He noticed it and has been watching for fire trucks every day since. As soon as we get into the car he starts talking about fire trucks. Usually asking me “Fire truck outside?” By the time we get a block or 2 away from the fire hall he is bursting with anticipation of seeing a fire truck.

Unfortunately, the trucks are rarely out at this time of the morning and it breaks my heart to start his day with disappointment almost every day. It’s to the point where I am considering using a different route to daycare.

Ridiculous parental request: Can you please park a piece of your equipment outside at approx 7:20am on some weekdays? Once a week would probably suffice. He is satisfied if all he sees is one of your red pickups with a light bar (“Little Fire Trucks” he calls them), but is literally beside himself with excitement and awe if he is able to see a full sized piece of equipment. Likewise, he’s pretty disappointed when he doesn’t see anything and sadly tells me “Fire trucks asleep in their bays”.

So, on to the whole point of this thread: Does anyone know if the DOLC Fire Department does tours for young children? Or maybe they have an open house coming up? I’d really like for my little guy to get a good look at the equipment. Being able to climb on it and maybe sit inside would be amazing but I think just a close-up look would be enough. I’m willing to compensate a firefighter for an hour of his time, or make a donation, or put in some volunteer time - whatever is required. My ultimate goal would be to get him a short ride in a fire truck but I know that this isn’t really feasible.

Thanks!
RVThereYet
Übergod

Re: Dear DOLC Fire Department

Post by RVThereYet »

The Fire Dep. will be doing their food bank drive soon and usually do so in their fire truck, maybe an "extra big" donation, with right questions asked at the time, might buy your son the opportunity for a quick ride or at least a closer look? Not sure, just a suggestion. I probably think though liability is an issue when it comes to getting rides.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Yes, they do their foodbank drive about this time of year don't they?

I'll definately keep an eye out for them but don't really want to distract them from their food drive as I think donations for the food bank are more important. Also, they typically do it in the evenings when it's dark so he probably won't get a good look. But you can bet I'll be rushing him outside if they do swing by.

Yeah, getting him a ride is pretty much a pipe dream. Liabiliy would certainly be a concern. They probably have policy that specifically says they can't give rides.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Hey Kalvin ... how about you just call the fire department and talk to them? Most of them are pretty proud of their equipment and you might just earn yourself some extra good-daddy points :D

Or stop in (take the kid with ya because its hard to turn down those big "eyes-filled-with-wonder"). LOL
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

grammafreddy wrote: because its hard to turn down those big "eyes-filled-with-wonder"
Attachments
when-a-two-year-old-hands-you-a-toy-phone.jpg
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Soooo true. LOL - good one, kgc
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Meeko666
Fledgling

Post by Meeko666 »

I know they have their practices Monday evenings, why not swing by there on a Monday with the little one?
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

sounds like a future recruit in the making! as a retired lc f.f. i can tell you that the crew would be more than happy to show off there equipment for a future jr ff!
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Thanks all!

I think we have a plan for later in the week. I'll post a picture or 2 if everything works out.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Today Blake got to see the Fire Trucks.

Talk about firetruck overload! So much excitement and so much to see. Unfortunately, I think we've just added more fuel to his obsession but it's a good obsession for a 2yo boy to have.

The guys were awesome! Blake got to climb in and on the trucks, got to push some buttons, and generally they just let Blake boss them around as he ran from truck to truck wanting to go inside the trucks or climb on them. He even got to climb up on top of their new ladder truck to look at the ladder and controlls. Such great guys, I can't say enough! :hailjo: :hailjo:
Attachments
Blake in Fire Engine.jpg
Last edited by Kalvin K on Nov 20th, 2012, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Blake and the ladder truck controls. He loves buttons and lights and levers so this was like heaven to him. I think he could of stayed there all day.
Attachments
Blake on Ladder Truck.jpg
Last edited by Kalvin K on Nov 20th, 2012, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

1 last pic. Up on top of the ladder truck looking at the ladder and controls.
Attachments
Blake on Ladder Truck2.jpg
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww .... that's so wonderful. He'll remember this day forever. Kudos to the firehall folks for being so great.

Return to “Central Okanagan”