Wood Lake Accident

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Wood Lake Accident

Post by gordon_as »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#84853

Real nice of Castanet to put a picture of the Vehicle on the front page. (not) I guess fogging out the licence # makes them think that friends and family members won't recognize who's vehicle it is.

Anyways , I hope it was a stolen jeep.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Wood Lake Accident

Post by prairieflower »

I agree with you gordon_as.....pretty typical though of the media these days.

Was listening to the Police scanner at work when this all happened and to the 3 people that jumped in the lake when it happened...you all deserve medals for risking your life to help this poor victim. To the police who also arrived on scene & jumped in....kudos.

How sad for this to happen, especially this time of year!

My condolences to the family involved.
givenrfarm
Board Meister

Post by givenrfarm »

i hope the family knows that appsolutely everything was done to try to bring their loved one home. i'm sorry. we tried desperately. my heart goes out to them.
Chrome, cowboy boots, and a license does not, a professional driver make!
Horse, cowboy hat, and pick-up truck, does not, a cowboy make!
Twenty grand, twenty miles, and two tattoos, does not, a biker make!
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Why is this surprising? It's what the media does.

My condolences to the family, especially at this time of year, and huge thank yous to those that tried to save this person and also risking your lives.

I'm guessing road conditions were a factor? Not snowing much here (Summerland) right now, is it out in Lake Country today?
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

givenrfarm wrote:i hope the family knows that appsolutely everything was done to try to bring their loved one home. i'm sorry. we tried desperately. my heart goes out to them.

You were one of the people that tried to rescue the person? Wow :hailjo: I'm sorry you had to go through something like that, but you're still a hero for doing that.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Bretbaby wrote:Why is this surprising? It's what the media does.

My condolences to the family, especially at this time of year, and huge thank yous to those that tried to save this person and also risking your lives.

I'm guessing road conditions were a factor? Not snowing much here (Summerland) right now, is it out in Lake Country today?

I must have just driven past that spot 10-15 minutes before it happened. My friend texted me shortly afterwards because he knew I was coming in from Vernon. The roads aren't perfectly clear right now. There was a small amount of snow falling, but nothing sticking to the ground.

Huge respect to those who tried to help out. Can't even begin to imagine what it would have been like to be in that position.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

My hat is off to those who tried, and held with great sadness over my heart to those left behind.

...This is such a shame.
Please, slow down people.
It's so not worth it to let your attention sway or your guard down.

Stay safe all.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Listening to the audio clip, it sounds like there were about a dozen super-wonderful humans (not counting cops, etc) who were out there fighting to save this woman's life. My most sincere condolences to her family and friends and also to those people who fought for her.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

So sad another mother/sister/friend not coming home for dinner tonight. Please people slow down and take your time as you just never know when you ate your last meal. love everyday like it IS your LAST. It may be your turn to turn in your ticket next, so never take anything for granted , always be kind to your fellow person and take care out there.
lisasuds

Post by lisasuds »

My husband was one of those that tried desperately to save the poor woman. He is also the one Castanet interviewed. I am very very proud of him and the others that risked their lives to save another. My condolences to the woman and her family. They really tried as hard as they could to prevent what was the final outcome.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

A hug for Jme and a hug for your husband and more for all the others who went into that icy water to help. If I ever am faced with an emergency, I want people like you around.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
sevengrampy

Post by sevengrampy »

regarding comments made about slowing down, the media indicated that speed was not a factor, but the vehicle caught some slush and lost control; I couldn't help but wonder why, at lake level, there was so much slush on the road
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

My condolences to the family. Kudos to those who did everything they could to help.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

sevengrampy wrote:regarding comments made about slowing down, the media indicated that speed was not a factor, but the vehicle caught some slush and lost control; I couldn't help but wonder why, at lake level, there was so much slush on the road

You don't have to be speeding to be going too fast for conditions.
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

sevengrampy wrote:regarding comments made about slowing down, the media indicated that speed was not a factor, but the vehicle caught some slush and lost control; I couldn't help but wonder why, at lake level, there was so much slush on the road

Where are you hearing slush? Which report?

CHBC's report quotes Cpl. Dale who says the road conditions were black ice, a bit of snow and extremely slippery.

I am curious, and I'm not being judgmental or too curious or anything here and maybe it's not the place to ask and I should put this into a new thread in another part of the forum, but what does it mean that people/civilians and/or RCMP attempted to get the person out? Or is a variety of things? IE. Couldn't get to the vehicle? Water was too cold? Unable to get the person unstrapped?

If you think it's not appropriate, then please don't blast me or answer the question. I'm being honest, I don't know what it means.

Return to “Central Okanagan”