Wood Lake Accident

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Wood Lake Accident

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Graham Adder wrote:It's a spring loaded center punch.

When you apply poking pressure, the spring loads tension and releases once you push the handle hard enough. It doesn't take a strongman to push it far enough to make it click...the click in turn sets the point into a sudden impact which will break the side glass of any automobile (save the gangstah editions) window.

Excellent idea, I'd never thought of that, and it just so happens I carry one of those punches in the truck, just not up front in the cab. Will have to get another for the front, for emergency use, it makes far better sense than a hammer, which would be next to impossible to swing inside a wrecked cab, let alone under water.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
process99
Board Meister

Post by process99 »

Rwede wrote:Thanks Givenr for your efforts, you are to be applauded!

Makes me think that for less than $10 one (or two!) of these seatbelt-cutter-window-smasher tools in the door pocket of the truck makes a lot of sense. Princess Auto has them.

That tool will allow self rescue and save many lives . I have several. Mount it in the door pocket with velcro. practice finding it eyes closed. practice seat belt removal eyes closed buckle and simulate cut with tool. Practice tool to window eyes closed and practice door handle opening eyes closed..Then redo all the practice with ONLY ONE breath of air. Thats when it really counts.
If you do enough practice you will automaticly know what to do via muscle memory when you find yourself ;upside down sinking in water ect..

If you need an idea, more real world, take the tool to a scrap yard get permission to test a few windows so you understand how the window punch works and try a few belts as well.
It should take you no more than 2 seconds to remove a window and open a door blindfolded and 3 5 seconds to cut a belt and free yourself.
This means that if you have that tool and are awake after an impact you can be free of the vehicle in less than ten seconds whether you upside down on a road or sinking in a frozen lake.
There is no excuse not to have one. Get one practice and it may just save you life and or someone elses life.
ETA: Make sure you can complete these exercises on ONE breath as that may be all you get between saving yourself or someone else. Cold water aside anyone can do it with practice and a little fear. You just need the tool.
If your too cheap to buy one at least get a sparkplug take a hammer and smash part of the ceramic end off and add it to your keyring as this will remove a window just as quickly.
P99
Cindy242

Post by Cindy242 »

dimlight wrote:As one of the family members of the lady in the Woods Lake accident...I want to thank the people that tried so hard to help her...there were so many willing to help, in awful conditions. We are devastated by our loss, and are so sorry you had to go through that. She was the type of person to do what you did...she would also have jumped in...go above and beyond to help. Thank you so much. It may not be the ending you/we were hoping for that day, but please know it does bring comfort to know she was surrounded by heroes!! Thank you <3

To the family members......There is something I want you to know. I am so sorry I could not do more to save her, I managed to get the passenger window open but I just couldn't hold my breath long enough to get in the car :( my condolences are with you and your family. I know I can say that my co-worker and I had no hesitation in stopping to help, I would do it all over again. There were many people there that did everything we could. Know that she was not alone and that even though we didn't know her I fought as hard as if it was my own family there.
givenrfarm
Board Meister

Post by givenrfarm »

There isnt a day goes by I dont think of the accident, of those that were there and those that lost their loved one. It is one year ago today that heaven gained an angel. RIP Elly.
Chrome, cowboy boots, and a license does not, a professional driver make!
Horse, cowboy hat, and pick-up truck, does not, a cowboy make!
Twenty grand, twenty miles, and two tattoos, does not, a biker make!

Return to “Central Okanagan”