New Wood Lake fishing regs

Phoenix Within
Guru

New Wood Lake fishing regs

Post by Phoenix Within »

New fishing regulations in Wood Lake
by Ragnar Haagen - Story: 86429
Jan 25, 2013 / 2:40 pm

The numbers of kokanee salmon found in Wood Lake have been dwindling, which has led to the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations to implement restrictions for the upcoming 2013 fishing season.

These new regulations will be enforced when the kokanee fishing season opens on April 15 and will be in effect until the season closes May 31. Other new restrictions include a daily quota of two kokanee per person and absolutely no fishing for kokanee permitted during the rest of the year.

Wood Lake is one of Canada's premier lakes for kokanee salmon, with over 10,000 angler days of fishing time each summer. But poor 'in-lake' conditions in 2011 led to only 6,300 kokanee returning to spawn, less than half the average of previous years.

In 2012, just over 2000 fish returned – the worst result on record dating back to 1994. Now, acoustic trawl surveys supported by the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund indicate that 2013 and 2014 returns will be very low as well, prompting this year's action to limit the fishery. Conditions improved last year and if they remain favourable, a full season harvest is expected by 2015

A good start, but personally, I don't think it goes far enough. I'd like to see the fishery shut down for a year or two and let the numbers really recover before we lose it permanently. I've heard the Oceola Fish and Game Club was going to be doing some work and clearing in some of the main spawning streams. I think that anyone who's taken a fish out of Wood Lake should volunteer and help those guys out!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: New Wood Lake fishing regs

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The fishery opening is designed to collect data on catch rates so that they can better understand the population levels and guage whether they are recovering or still going down.

Ditto on the help call for volunteers. Oceola has done so much work for the fishery, and it would be great to see more people pitch in with creek work. Check out www.oceola.ca for contact info (fisheries chairman is always looking for helpers) if you can spare a few hours to help the good folks who have built this fishery up for the past 30 years. Every little bit helps, and you can learn lots about the fish and habitat too! :)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

New fishing regulations in Wood Lake
by Ragnar Haagen - Story: 86429
Jan 25, 2013 / 2:40 pm

The numbers of kokanee salmon found in Wood Lake have been dwindling, which has led to the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations to implement restrictions for the upcoming 2013 fishing season.

These new regulations will be enforced when the kokanee fishing season opens on April 15 and will be in effect until the season closes May 31. Other new restrictions include a daily quota of two kokanee per person and absolutely no fishing for kokanee permitted during the rest of the year.

Wood Lake is one of Canada's premier lakes for kokanee salmon, with over 10,000 angler days of fishing time each summer. But poor 'in-lake' conditions in 2011 led to only 6,300 kokanee returning to spawn, less than half the average of previous years.

In 2012, just over 2000 fish returned – the worst result on record dating back to 1994. Now, acoustic trawl surveys supported by the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund indicate that 2013 and 2014 returns will be very low as well, prompting this year's action to limit the fishery. Conditions improved last year and if they remain favourable, a full season harvest is expected by 2015

Phoenix Within wrote:A good start, but personally, I don't think it goes far enough. I'd like to see the fishery shut down for a year or two and let the numbers really recover before we lose it permanently. I've heard the Oceola Fish and Game Club was going to be doing some work and clearing in some of the main spawning streams. I think that anyone who's taken a fish out of Wood Lake should volunteer and help those guys out!

And get those monster boats off of there , period ! 10 HP max .

Need to call up the Idle No More's and get some support :D
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

Monster Boats , we need to stop cars from using the lake.
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.

Return to “Central Okanagan”