Your taxpayer dollars at work.

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Your taxpayer dollars at work.

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

WhenWhatWho wrote:You clowns act like you have a clue what it takes to run a local government. Too funny.

Ya, let's not increase taxes until the infrastructure crumbles around us. I'm sure our children will be so much better off that they'll be able to afford it a lot more than us. rolls eyes

Oh cut the drama already, there's no shortage of examples proving DLC having their priorities screwed up.

The point some are getting across, which is clearly lost on you, is that instead of frittering away money on lawyers, in a ridiculous legal battle, perhaps put that same money toward improving Bottom Wood Lake Road.

One can forgive the odd misstep, but these characters set the incompetence bar to a whole new level.

The demands put upon the guy who wants to open a quick lube shop, are but one tiny example. I'm surprised they didn't ask him to pay for the BWL Road improvements. LOL

As far as I'm concerned if there's any clowns to be seen in Lake Country, just check out the offices adjacent to the Library.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Oh cut the drama already, there's no shortage of examples proving DLC having their priorities screwed up.In other words, it doesn't meet with your priorities.

The point some are getting across, which is clearly lost on you, is that instead of frittering away money on lawyers, in a ridiculous legal battle, perhaps put that same money toward improving Bottom Wood Lake Road. Every local government has on going legal battles. Especially dealing with property owners/neighborhoods who think they know better. LOL

One can forgive the odd misstep, but these characters set the incompetence bar to a whole new level. What an old and tired argument. You running in the next election?

The demands put upon the guy who wants to open a quick lube shop, are but one tiny example. I'm surprised they didn't ask him to pay for the BWL Road improvements. LOL Every municipality has a DCC program and demand frontage improvements as part of any development or subdivision.

As far as I'm concerned if there's any clowns to be seen in Lake Country, just check out the offices adjacent to the Library. A downfall of democracy. You running in the next election?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To WhenWhatWho ...

Before you get carried away defending the two and a half to three hundred thousand dollars blown on the mayors repeated attempt to deprive long term residents of water should you not at least have the decency to conclusively identify the amount of money spent on the several year long, ill fated abuse of power by those responsible?

If you do not know how much was spent how can you maintain that the spending was justified?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:The demands put upon the guy who wants to open a quick lube shop, are but one tiny example. I'm surprised they didn't ask him to pay for the BWL Road improvements. LOL

WhenWhatWho wrote: Every municipality has a DCC program and demand frontage improvements as part of any development or subdivision.

I don't actually have a huge issue with making demands, in the case of new development, or subdivisions, as that has been a common practice for eons. This hardly comes under that category though.

This is a person simply trying to open a business, using an existing structure that was an automotive shop, just a few months ago. I certainly wouldn't characterize it as a subdivision or development when really it's simply repurposing something already there.

That being the case, it comes off a lot more as DLC exploiting an individual, particularly given that, economic activity and jobs, is something Winfield is in dire need of.

Can everyone in Winfield who owns commercial property, look forward to a wish/extortion list from DLC every time they change tenants, or was this just a one time scenario?

Until such time as these governing clowns get their act together, main street will likely remain a ghost town.

Oh and speaking of Main St., I'm fairly sure that DLC paid for the sidewalks there, so if they are so hot and bothered to have sidewalks, they should put them in at the old Hilltop site.

The response I see, sounds a lot like a DLC office clown trying to justify his existence.
jswiftkelowna

Post by jswiftkelowna »

If you actually do some research you would know that the Great Canadian Oil Change business was going to be located in an entirely new structure. In fact, I think the news article on the subject covered that. Due to the "new" cost, he may have to just renovate the building that was there before, so no frontage upgrades would be required.

New development is subject to frontage upgrades, development cost charges, permitting fees, etc. This is something that is typical across BC and North America overall. The article in the news stated that the business owner was coming for a variance. A variance to well-established bylaws, that have been in place since Lake Country incorporated. The reason that communities do this is so that residential taxpayers don't have to foot the bill for sidewalks when new development inevitably causes conflicts between user groups like cars and pedestrians if no precautions are taken.

To invest the time, money, and effort to get to this stage of development and not know that you are required to improve the frontage around your lot is either pure ignorance, incompetence, or a lie.

As far as the town's Main Street, I'm pretty sure taxpayers did pay for that, and latercomer agreements are in place so that, if development takes place, the developer pays the town back. Then the town's taxpayers aren't out the money for the sidewalks. This is also well-established and practiced in many other communities.

When your town complains about Main Street, I think they also have to keep in mind that places like Sopa Square, The Conservatory, and a number of other developments in a stronger market (Kelowna) are also struggling. Remember 2008? Your town's council didn't cause that. I would love to blame Kelowna's for it, but I can't. It would be nice to have someone to blame, but there isn't a single group we can use as the scapegoat here.

The entire region is suffering, and Winfield just happens to be smaller than their surrounding partners.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To WhenWhoWhat ...

What does your last post have to do with supporting your previous contention that the two hundred fifty to three hundred thousand dollars spent by the Lake Country Mayor and his "band of frivolous spenders" in trying to force the lot holders off of their property by cutting off all water supplies?

WADR you are continually giving information as to how financially responsible they are but you gracefully decline to give such figures when requested to provide them. Your comments would lead me to believe you are a staunch supporter of our financially frivolous Mayor of Lake Country.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

jswiftkelowna wrote:If you actually do some research you would know that the Great Canadian Oil Change business was going to be located in an entirely new structure. In fact, I think the news article on the subject covered that. Due to the "new" cost, he may have to just renovate the building that was there before, so no frontage upgrades would be required.

New development is subject to frontage upgrades, development cost charges, permitting fees, etc. This is something that is typical across BC and North America overall.

If I'm incorrect in my understanding, then my apologies on that part. I don't even recall where I saw the news about that, only that it read to me, as though the empty Hilltop garage was to be the business, and that's not new development, even if it had to undergo a few changes.

If it were knocked down, and things started over from scratch, then I'd be more inclined to accept it, because as you say, that is common practice.

None of that changes the fact, that DLC focuses time, effort, and money, on things that are not high priorities.
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

jswiftkelowna wrote:As far as the town's Main Street, I'm pretty sure taxpayers did pay for that, and latercomer agreements are in place so that, "if" development takes place, the developer pays the town back. Then the town's taxpayers aren't out the money for the sidewalks. This is also well-established and practiced in many other communities.

"if"... so we the taxpayers foot the bill until such time...how many years has it been since the development on Main Street was completed? Our esteemed mayor should take a lesson from Hazel McCallion, mayor of Mississagua,Ontario, her principles are grounded in the belief that a city should be run like a business; thus, she encourages the business model of governance. Her family's business background, her education, and her prior career in a corporation prepared her to approach government with this model. Mississauga is one of the few cities in Canada that is debt free; it has not borrowed money since 1978. She encourages growth in the business sector by offering tax breaks to businesses and industry and look how that has turned out. At 92 she has been Mississagua's mayor for 35 years, holding office since 1978. Maybe the entire problem is having a man do a job better fit for a woman...LOL...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ I agree that's a big "if", given that it would appear that DLC goes out of it's way, to put as many hurdles in the path of potential developers, as it can.

It might be time to rethink that strategy, and consider dangling a few carrots instead.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Lonewolf ...

That is what happens when you put a group of people whose intentions far exceed their "knowledge and experience in business" into city hall. IMO they "talk a good show" until you realize that the movie they are showing is based on fiction.

You will note that "Why" is missing from the grandiose statements made by 'WhoWhatWhere' in support of the current Municipal contingent. Interestingly the 'why' is what is causing many of the problems Lake Country have experienced under the present egocentric group of elected officials.
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

I am curious about this project in the budget, the Beasley Park ‘n Ride: $840,000; seems pretty pricey does anyone know what is involved
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:The response I see, sounds a lot like a DLC office clown trying to justify his existence.

Wrong, as usual, again. I almost guarantee that I have a helluva lot more exposure to local government processes than most here though.

The only thing funnier than an arm chair politician is one that post their opinion like they know how to do it better.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To WhenWhatWho ...

Still missing "Why" the Mayor and a select few politicians from DLC chose to spend $250,000.00 to $300,000.00 and repeatedly used information that gave far less than the whole truth, to try to force the leeseholders off of their city lot sized 40 to 50 year old leases by depriving them of water.

And still no effort on the part of the ELECTED people to confirm or refute the amount of taxpayer money spent on the ill advised ill fated multi year court battles undertaken by the (IMO completely irresponsible) politicians involved?
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Anyone know how many taxpayer dollars Baker spent taking the community-oriented flying club to the Supreme Court?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

Park'in Ride at Beasley , it's been 2 months with all that large equipment down there and they're still not even close to being complete , how long does it take to build a parking lot ?
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.

Return to “Central Okanagan”