Your taxpayer dollars at work.

Kalvin K
Fledgling

Your taxpayer dollars at work.

Post by Kalvin K »

Donald G. has been posting in a few different threads about this. So I figured we could make a separate thread about it instead of derailing the other threads.

Over the past 5-8 years the District of Lake Country (DOLC) and the Okanagan Basin Water Board (OBWB) have been trying everything in their power to force the province to revoke leases on nearby mountain lake lots. Both entities are strongly influenced by Mayor James Baker. Whether this is coincidence or not, I can't say.

My Grandparents own one of these leased lots so I've been following the proceedings over the years with interest. To be frank - I am disgusted.

They have been doing this under the guise of "Protecting the water supply for the communities". The interesting part is that they continue to push this agenda despite environmental impact studies, hydraulic engineering studies, and plain common sense saying otherwise.
Some of what has transpired:
- They have petitioned the government saying that leaseholders are polluting the water. Common sense tells you that these leaseholders care about the water quality more than anyone else. They drink the water untreated, they have property on the water, and most of them have permanent dwellings in the communities serviced by these water supplies.
- Environmental studies and water testing have shown that by far the biggest polluter of these waters are the cattle ranging in the areas and recommended that the #1 focus being to keep the cattle away from the lakes and streams. The #2 concern is the un-managed campsites and party pits in the area (littered with trash, no method of sewage disposal, etc). The #3 concern is oil and fuels in the water from anglers (boat motors). If the DOLC and OBWB were actually concerned with water quality they should be focusing on the top 3 pollution concerns/causes.
- They successfully petitioned the government to cancel the sale of these leased lots. To do this they gathered public support by flat out lying to the public. Some examples: The proposed terms of sale included a engineered/certified/inspected sewage disposal system meeting Interior Health requirements (very strict) to be in place prior to sale. Yet the public was told that there would be no proper sewage disposal in place and lead everyone to believe that their drinking water would be contaminated with sewage. Another example: They painted a picture of these lots containing mansions and turning into subdivisions on the lake. But the proposed terms of sale limited structures to a maximum footprint of 700sqft. No electrical power is available at these lots, and many (including my Grandparents lot) are not serviced by a road - you must hike to or take a boat across the lake to access the lots. The idea of mansions and subdivisions is just ludicrous and they know it.
- They have unsuccessfully launched numerous lawsuits and petitions against the province to further their agenda. All of which have so far been dismissed as baseless.
- They have petitioned that these lots need to go because they need to raise the reservoir levels - yet most of these lakes have a "fully captured" status. Meaning that they are already trapping the majority of the water feeding the lakes. Raising the reservoir won't do any good if you can't fill it.

All of that is in the past. What's currently going on is that the DOLC has launched a lawsuit against the provincial government. This lawsuit was initiated because the provincial government has issued water licenses to some of the leaseholders. The lawsuit hinges on the fact that the reservoir lakes hold a status that basically says "all available water has been allocated" Up until now, the leaseholders did not have water licenses. The leases have been around for over 50 years and everyone knew the lease owners were taking water from the lake. Licensing wasn't enforced. But, during a recent round of silliness the DOLC accused the leaseholders of illegally taking water. My Grandparents didn't want to do anything illegal - they applied for and were granted a water license. They don't have a hose in the lake or anything... they were told that just taking a bucket down to the lake is illegal without a license (good grief).

So, there is a lawsuit in the midst. A very frivilous and expensive lawsuit. The DOLC argument hinges on the "fully licensed" status of the watershed. The province hinges on common sense and precedence. This isn't the 1st time a lawsuit like this has come up - usually tho it's of a larger scale (there are only an average of 9 lease lots per lake). The 2' tall stacks of legal material, court documents, hydraulic engineering study data (I cringe to think what that cost) that Donald describes is completely accurate.

As it sits now:
- The province of BC has provided the results of the hydraulic engineering study to the court. In a nutshell the study says the impact is so negligible that it's hard to actually measure. In the end, the engineer used the following scenario: "If the full license of 160 gallons/day were used every day from May-October (would never happen) and none of the water was returned to the reservoir via groundwater (most of it would), the amount of water removed from the reservoir would be the equivalent of 0.01% of the water evaporation that would occur naturally during this same timeframe".
- The province has also supplied the examples of precedent from previous lawsuits. The precedent is very clear - the lots have been there for over 50 years, water licenses are a formality at this point.

Unfortunately, the DOLC has refused to drop the lawsuit so it will proceed at great expense to taxpayers. My Grandparents had the opportunity to speak with the lawyer representing the province. The DOLC will not be successful in the lawsuit ("Snowball's chance in hell" according to the lawyer) yet it is proceeding anyway.

All of this makes me very frustrated. As a taxpayer I see a huge waste of money for what appears to be a personal agenda. If they actually care about the water they would be far better off spending the money elsewhere. This money could have paid for a LOT of illegal dumping enforcement, it could have paid for a LOT of fencing to keep cattle out of the water, etc. It also angers me from a personal perspective. My grandfather bought that lease 50 years ago and built a very quaint cabin up there with his own 2 hands. It's been a family bonding and gathering place since my parents were children and I hope my own children get to use it some day. My family has done far more pollution prevention (controlling partiers, cleanup of garbage, fuel spill reporting and containment, etc) than we've ever caused yet we are being made out as bad guys and evil polluters to gain public support. We welcome inspections - environmental controls, etc.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Your taxpayer dollars at work.

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

DOLC are pinheads as evidenced by some of their other questionable actions/priorities in the area.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Kalvin K wrote:
Over the past 5-8 years the District of Lake Country (DOLC) and the Okanagan Basin Water Board (OBWB) have been trying everything in their power to force the province to revoke leases on nearby mountain lake lots.

It is a bizarre case to say the least . Forgive me if I've missed it , which lakes are they talking about ?

LC is run by a bunch of simpletons .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

xjeepguy wrote:
It is a bizarre case to say the least . Forgive me if I've missed it , which lakes are they talking about ?

LC is run by a bunch of simpletons .

I forget them all, but I believe there are 9 or 11 lakes involved in the Okanagan area. DOLC is most interested in the lakes that they gather water from. My understanding is that the other communities didn't bother with the lawsuits.

Some of the lakes involved are Beaver, Oyama, Crooked, Dee, Streek, and Mcculloch.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

The Chain lakes from Dee to Beaver include Island, Rat, Deer and Crooked which flow into Beaver. Dee has a resort with cabins as does Beaver. The Cabins on Crooked are private property as are some on Beaver. Streek and Oyama also have private cabins and is a different water shed. McCulloch is I believe in the Kelowna area water shed feeding South East Kelowna. From everything I have read or seen, full pool has not happened for a few years so why Mr. Baker is doing this I just don't know. Perhaps when the system is low he can still power the Electrical plant we now have and sell to Hydro?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I wonder if the Water Boards (Mayors?) activities regarding the ongoing 'lease lot' suit that, in my opinion, is an insult to the free enterprise system, is one of the reasons that a number of planned or proposed housing and tourist facilities in Lake Country are not progressing as expected due to buyer resistance? I , for one, would not want to buy in an area where taxpayer money is being used to try to negate the free enterprise property rules that have applied to lease lots, without problem, for the last fifty years ... on grounds that, in my opinion, have already been proven to be far from completely and honestly stated.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I still have not been able to determine why the hearing regarding the issue has been delayed over and over. Nor can I determine what reason was given for the latest delay and who requested the delay. Why the evident desire for secrecy?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

In my opinion the information in this thread is too significant to the free enterprise system to let slide at this point in the YET UNEXPLAINED, expensive process that has been going on for years. It should be followed and the politicians and appointed district employees responsible held to account for what has been going on.
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

Quality construction , run by the DLC .
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by ixler8 on Aug 21st, 2013, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
taxpayer

Post by taxpayer »

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

ixler8 wrote:Quality construction , run by the DLC .

Unreal. When's the next municipal election? 2014? Time to sweep out the old fungus at DLC, and bring some accountability in for taxpayers' sake.

Hopefully, there won't be a plethora of candidates that split the vote and allow the same old boys' club to continue on as we saw in 2011.

I really pity the taxpayers of DLC.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
suee

Post by suee »

ixler8 wrote:
Quality construction , run by the DLC

After years of reading the forums, I have finally decided to speak my mind. Drive through the Mobile Home Park behind Tim Hortons and see the mess the District has approved. I feel sorry for everyone living there. I also wonder why the Park approved such an ugly addition.
SmileyEyes

Post by SmileyEyes »

Moved to a different heading
Last edited by SmileyEyes on Jul 9th, 2013, 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

ya, ixlar8 i saw that too... go by there every day, and it keeps getting uglier.... are they planning on using the deck to house hi security inmates? you couldnt drive a truck through that "railing" wonder what the bill is for that mess?
vistaww

Post by vistaww »

From some previous experience in water 'posturing" I can tell you that one of the biggest polluters is birds.

Return to “Central Okanagan”