I love the new highway!

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: I love the new highway!

Post by Rwede »

^^^ Why doesn't the Glenrosa hill (same incline) where the speed goes from 50 to 80 have that same problem?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

^^ Because mentioning any of that ruins the strength of the complaining.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ 10/10

Nailed that one spot on.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

anakerose wrote:I thought the exact same thing about a view point at the top. That would make a great stopping point.

There's one spot where we suspect one was planned, on the northbound side. There's a patch of earth right by the road that looks leveled and large enough to accommodate semi trucks.Not sure why one wasn't built. We can foresee accidents happening by people too busy checking out the view.

God forbid if there is a accident. With the continual barrier, there's no way to get around one!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I've driven this stretch now few times I believe it's big improvement over former stretch between Oyama & Winfield.
Whenever you have the possibility for human and/or mechanical error, accidents will happen unfortunately.

If in the future rest stops/view area could be safely be added that would be great addition.
Last edited by GordonH on Sep 21st, 2013, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

Only time will tell...
JJetson
Fledgling

Post by JJetson »

We all have the choice to take the lower road in winter. That is where the big trucks and many cars will go. When snow and poor visibility occurred traffic on the low road was slow anyway so speed limit won't be such a deterrent. We shall see shortly.
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

My sentiments exactly!!!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Should that happen then it's simple enough to cure by forbidding heavy trucks along that route.

Part of the reason for moving the highway to where it is was to protect the lake from commercial truck disasters.

Personally unless they have a stop on that road, I highly doubt big rigs will use the Parkway instead of the highway, because if they can make the hill into Vernon they can certainly climb that one as well.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

JJetson wrote:We all have the choice to take the lower road in winter. That is where the big trucks and many cars will go. When snow and poor visibility occurred traffic on the low road was slow anyway so speed limit won't be such a deterrent. We shall see shortly.

NOTYOU wrote:My sentiments exactly!!!

If that is the case (highly doubtful) those of us who have & use proper winter tires on our vehicle, will have less traffic to deal with on that stretch of highway.

I have absolutely no problems traveling Connector/Coquihalla in winter condition, this new stretch of highway is only few hundred feet above the old highway if that (verticality).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JJetson
Fledgling

Post by JJetson »

I have my snow tires on - Do you ! I am ready for the weather. It is not if I will drive the new highway or not - I love it !!!! Just had a thought that those who are bemoaning the hills can take the Parkway.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

JJetson wrote:I have my snow tires on - Do you !

Next week, since I will be taking trip to the coast few day after and you never know what to expect on Connector/Coquihalla at this time of year. Better safe than sorry.
JJetson
Fledgling

Post by JJetson »

Gordon H - EXACTLY :)
Tori_K
Fledgling

Post by Tori_K »

In any case winter tires are required as of next week for anybody driving the Coquihalla until the end of April.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

JJetson wrote:We all have the choice to take the lower road in winter. That is where the big trucks and many cars will go. When snow and poor visibility occurred traffic on the low road was slow anyway so speed limit won't be such a deterrent. We shall see shortly.

Do you people never drive any farther north than Oyama? Why would trucks and cars take the old highway when the new highway is no different than what they just drove coming from Vernon or what they will be driving to Vernon?

Dump hill is 7% and curvey going southbound with 2 lanes and no room to pull over, northbound its 6% and I haven't seen many trucks have to chain up there nor have they taken the old highway instead.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Central Okanagan”