50km/h on the Pelmewash Parkway

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: 50km/h on the Pelmewash Parkway

Post by Dizzy1 »

Traffic lights take energy to operate, even though the LED lights take less, they also need to be maintaned, all at a cost. A 4 way stop doesn't.

As for the roundabout, its not really a suggestion, but more of a prediction. To be honest though, I think it would be a prime location for a nice roundabout, if they redo Palmolive Parkway right it could be a very nice road to drive on. They've got a chance to make a parkway a real parkway.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Oh give me a break, how many years/decades will it be before the cost of removing the lights, and or installing a roundabout, is justified by the savings in electricity?

Must be what a whole five bucks a month to operate the LED lights?

Stop signs cost money to replace too when big trucks run over them.

As far as maintenance goes, everything requires that, so I'm not buying that either as a legitimate argument.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

A 4 way stop at a 5 or 6 lane intersection would be a crazy scene at certain busy times during tourist season, IMO.

Very few people (it seems) can navigate 4, one lane roads coming together...throw in right turn lanes on the sides of a 4 lane highway, and you've got the makings of mass hysteria on Pimplepus Washway.

DLC, if given a chance, will totally screw up ANYTHING they get their grubby mitts on. Who voted for that bunch of knotheads?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Anybody talked to DOLC? why? its now a DOLC road so that decision was made locally. I agree the 50k on the Pwashway is crazy. Should have been 60 minimum. And the 4 way stop....nuts! Who makes those decisions?
Of course someone will answer "if you don't like it take the new hiway"
dognog2000

Post by dognog2000 »

Yeah - many other rural like roads or at 70 kmh. 50 kmh is hardly a well thought out limit. There have been a rash of car impoundings because of this. 70 kmh would still allow for enforcement while not "trapping" a lot of drivers into the "excessive speed" category. Who exactly made this decision? Highways Ministry or Lake Country?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A co-worker was recently doing 100 km/h on Commonage Rd. near Vernon. She got pulled over by a cop since the speed limit is only 50 or 60, but the cop let her off with a verbal warning because "the speed limit should be 90 km/h on that section of road."
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Lonewolf, you can relax now ... the traffic lights are still there albeit flashing red LOL ;)

As for Pimplewash belonging to DOLC now, I thought that wasn't until next year? Or am I wrong on that?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

True, but they have installed four way stop signs, so no doubt the lights will be coming down. DLC knows no bounds when it comes to frittering away monies on stupid priorities.

Given the almost non existent driveways along Pimplewash Parkway and having driven it a few times now since the changes, it really seems to me that 50kph is bit over the top in so far as a safe speed limit goes.

Generally that low of a limit is used in urban areas where housing density and traffic volumes demand it, something that is not the case here. I think 60kph or even 70kph would suffice. I'd say the majority of those I see driving there lately are doing 80-90kph, including government vehicles.

If and when the area gets developed as a major tourist attraction, and congestion demonstrates a safer speed limit is required it could always be lowered.

I find it odd that places where there's no one the speed limit is set low, then in areas where it is congested it gets left too high to be safe. Case in point is by the IGA where the limit is 50kph, yet given the high level of pedestrian and vehicular traffic there, not to mention the curve in the road which affects sight lines and safety, the speed limit there should be 30kph because you know most will do at least 10kph over anyway.

It's not as if anyone cares what we think anyway though, so may as well just shake our heads and move on.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Given the almost non existent driveways along Pimplewash Parkway and having driven it a few times now since the changes, it really seems to me that 50kph is bit over the top in so far as a safe speed limit goes.

Yuppers and

LoneWolf_53 wrote:If and when the area gets developed as a major tourist attraction, and congestion demonstrates a safer speed limit is required it could always be lowered.

yuppers.

To have it dropped by 30km/h overnight with a massive reduction of traffic on the road is just plain stupid, fortunatly I only drive that way a couple of times a month when visiting friends, but still its the prinicple of the matter LOL!
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:It's not as if anyone cares what we think anyway though, so may as well just shake our heads and move on.

Quite true. The arrogance in the hallowed halls of DLC is astounding. 2014 is your opportunity to flush the toilet on that batch of elected turds.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

LOL it is the staff toilet that needs to be flushed!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

It is interesting to see the increasing number of people bicycling and walking along Pelmewash Parkway especially as the weather improves. There are always a number of people in the pullouts either loading or unloading their boats or just enjoying the lake. This is with nothing being done to improve the situation other than lower the speed limit and with most vehicles using the new highway. Imagine what this will be like if some picnic tables and amenities are established. Unfortunately many of the vehicles are speeding, many excessively, (more than 20 km/hr), and today I saw quite a number of large commercial vehicles on this road??? There has been police presence and I have seen numerous tickets being handed out but it is amazing to see the reduced speed by most as the flashing headlight warning seems to be recognized by most speeders! I for one support the reduced speed limit and only wish more folks would observe it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

The speed limit did not need to be dropped to 50kph. That was simply excessive and unjustified given that there are no more than half a dozen roads or driveways along the whole stretch.

The fact that everyone is doing at least 20kph over the limit, including district vehicles, is indicative that the limit should have been left at least 60kph.

Boats and trailers along the pullouts is hardly a new phenomenon as they've been present for as long as I can remember.

What has definitely increased is bike and foot traffic and that's a good thing.

I just think DLC is milking it as a speed trap, and that was the motivation behind dropping the speed limit 30kph over night.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Not everyone is speeding but those who do observe the speed limit soon find they have tailgaters. This was mentioned months ago by another poster. There is often speeders on district roads and as such you have speed traps and speed bumps. The fact that people speed doesn't mean that the speed limit is too low!!! This is an unique opportunity to make Pelmewash Way into something special and speeding traffic makes bicycling and walking unsafe and unpleasant. I also realize that the pullouts have been used for boat launching when this was the highway but now one should be able to use and enjoy these pullouts without vehicles traveling at highway speeds just a few dozen feet away.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

danmartin wrote:It is interesting to see the increasing number of people bicycling and walking along Pelmewash Parkway especially as the weather improves. There are always a number of people in the pullouts either loading or unloading their boats or just enjoying the lake. This is with nothing being done to improve the situation other than lowering the speed limit and with most vehicles using the new highway. Imagine what this will be like if some picnic tables and amenities are established. Unfortunately many of the vehicles are speeding, many excessively, (more than 20 km/hr), and today I saw quite a number of large commercial vehicles on this road??? There has been police presence and I have seen numerous tickets being handed out but it is amazing to see the reduced speed by most as the flashing headlight warning seems to be recognized by most speeders! I for one support the reduced speed limit and only wish more folks would observe it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”