Weird Checkpoint

omisimaw
Guru

Re: Weird Checkpoint

Post by omisimaw »

gardengirl wrote:This is the issue. It appears that this Aux is alone when he is stopping cars. There is too much weirdness about these incidents.

KL3-Something wrote:Did anyone actually look in the car that was in the nearby driveway to see if there was a regular member sitting in the driver's seat?

This has moved on now to a different incident. This one on a street downtown, at night, with an aux jumping out and stopping a motorcycle.

and yes Ultraviolet, exactly.... anyone can dream up a story and type away!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

mullyman wrote:so... i'm riding my m/c home from work, late on a friday night, and, same thing, but on clement.. aux constable standing out in the road.. alone.... then he asks me to see my drivers licence. told him i wasnt comfortable taking my wallet out , in the dark, in the middle of the road( meaning, that i would have to take my hands off the controls) he didnt get it.... had to explain that if a car came up behind us, he could run away, while i am astride a m/c with my hands full.. he still didnt get it... obviously, hasnt seen someone get rear ended while dead stopped on a roadway..

This one i am guessing.

Again, was there a P/C (marked or unmarked) with a regular member in it nearby? I agree members running road checks should be more visible than it sounded like this one was. And the M/C rider should be allowed to pull over to the side for their safety. Sounds like the member should be providing a little more in the way of direction to their Aux. Because if the guy on the M/C does get smoked it isn't the Aux who is going to take the brunt of the resulting *bleep*. It will be the regular member.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

If it happened!

and if it did and the M/C driver did not get the badge #, name or other information (maybe on a ticket?) and they just handed over their ID to a stranger... well how silly is that!

Especially around costume time!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

No, I wasn't able to look into the car parked in the driveway, as it was completely blacked out. No lights on, inside or out. It was a white car, and not a Crown Vic, or an Impala, or anything else the RCMP use, with no markings on the side that I could see from the road. It looked possibly like a Ford Taurus or something similar.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

KL3-Something wrote:Did anyone actually look in the car that was in the nearby driveway to see if there was a regular member sitting in the driver's seat?

That's what I was thinking as well.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

MattJ wrote:No, I wasn't able to look into the car parked in the driveway, as it was completely blacked out. No lights on, inside or out. It was a white car, and not a Crown Vic, or an Impala, or anything else the RCMP use, with no markings on the side that I could see from the road. It looked possibly like a Ford Taurus or something similar.

and you were traveling with the "normal flow of traffic" in the opposite direction in the pitch dark....
and identified the person by the colour of a jacket.... which regular officers also wear that colour too...
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

Yes, regular officers, when doing traffic stops, are wearing the high visibility reflective vests that say "RCMP" on the back, as well as wearing the standard issue RCMP hat as part of their uniform when out of the vehicle. The person conducting the stop, was not wearing an RCMP issued reflective jacket, rather a yellow jacket that said "Auxiliary Constable" on the back in black block letters. The "flow of traffic, going in the opposite direction" was actually at a crawl, as there was a vehicle stopped in the oncoming lane with his four way flashers on, another vehicle stopped behind him, and the silhouette of a person standing on the center line. There was no way of knowing what was happening when traveling in the opposite direction, if someone had been run over, or there was an accident, or debris on the road, until you were directly behind the person standing on the center line, and were able to read the back of his jacket.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

MattJ wrote:Yes, regular officers, when doing traffic stops, are wearing the high visibility reflective vests that say "RCMP" on the back, as well as wearing the standard issue RCMP hat as part of their uniform when out of the vehicle. The person conducting the stop, was not wearing an RCMP issued reflective jacket, rather a yellow jacket that said "Auxiliary Constable" on the back in black block letters. The "flow of traffic, going in the opposite direction" was actually at a crawl, as there was a vehicle stopped in the oncoming lane with his four way flashers on, another vehicle stopped behind him, and the silhouette of a person standing on the center line. There was no way of knowing what was happening when traveling in the opposite direction, if someone had been run over, or there was an accident, or debris on the road, until you were directly behind the person standing on the center line, and were able to read the back of his jacket.

Yah....No one wears the hat....well, almost no one...it's terribly uncomfortable.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

MattJ wrote:No, I wasn't able to look into the car parked in the driveway, as it was completely blacked out. No lights on, inside or out. It was a white car, and not a Crown Vic, or an Impala, or anything else the RCMP use, with no markings on the side that I could see from the road. It looked possibly like a Ford Taurus or something similar.

Did you know that, much to the chagrin of almost every cop on the road, the RCMP is in the process of changing it's police car to the Ford Taurus Police Interceptor? The last Crown Victoria rolled off the line in September of 2011. If you look you will start seeing both marked and unmarked Taurus'.

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

KL3-Something wrote:RCMP is in the process of changing it's police car to the Ford Taurus Police Interceptor?

I'm surprised. Not the most spacious car.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Gonna have to like your partner just a little bit better in those, KL3. :D

It'll be a close fit if the cop is very large - and some of them certainly are that!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

KL3-Something wrote:Did you know that, much to the chagrin of almost every cop on the road, the RCMP is in the process of changing it's police car to the Ford Taurus Police Interceptor?

Could be difficult for "some" officers to fit in the drivers seat with all the gear they have to wear these days. Not to mention the ones who are a tad overweight.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Wonder if the OP has even called to inquire what was going on there, or are they still trying to figure it out from the banter on Castanet forums?

Sounds like the reg member was the shadow in the lights....

also might have been a minor fender bender by the sounds of things....

and why is this in Lake Country threads? was this on their part of Glenmore?
MattJ
Fledgling

Post by MattJ »

No, I never bothered to call it in. I thought about it after I passed it, but didn't exactly know what area I was in, or the road names. I was thinking about it the next day, hence why I posted it. It was on the Lake Country end of Glenmore, past the dump and in front of the gravel pit area which is why it's in the Lake Country section. I was asking if anybody else had ever encountered a road check of this fashion in Lake Country, as I have never encountered one of this sort anywhere else. In my opinion, it was a very unsafe way to conduct a checkpoint. No, I was not aware they are using Ford Tauruses, The one that I saw was not a new model however. I should have specified. Now that I think about it, it looked more like a 1990's Toyota Camry anyway. There may have been an RCMP member hiding in the shadows, but the lack of lighting, cones, or flares, made it a very dangerous situation for whoever was conducting the checkpoint. I certainly wouldn't stand in the middle of the road, in the dark.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

MattJ wrote:No, I never bothered to call it in. I thought about it after I passed it, but didn't exactly know what area I was in, or the road names. I was thinking about it the next day, hence why I posted it. It was on the Lake Country end of Glenmore, past the dump and in front of the gravel pit area which is why it's in the Lake Country section. I was asking if anybody else had ever encountered a road check of this fashion in Lake Country, as I have never encountered one of this sort anywhere else. In my opinion, it was a very unsafe way to conduct a checkpoint. No, I was not aware they are using Ford Tauruses, The one that I saw was not a new model however. I should have specified. Now that I think about it, it looked more like a 1990's Toyota Camry anyway. There may have been an RCMP member hiding in the shadows, but the lack of lighting, cones, or flares, made it a very dangerous situation for whoever was conducting the checkpoint. I certainly wouldn't stand in the middle of the road, in the dark.

Not so much calling it in as calling and asking IF and WHAT was going on.
It very well may have been something other than a road check and the local RCMP in LC are very helpful and nice to talk with.
Did not mean a reg member "lurking" in shadow... you said their was a silouhette of another person....

Return to “Central Okanagan”