20% property tax increase coming!

erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: 20% property tax increase coming!

Post by erinmore3775 »

It seems that most DOLC taxpayers are asleep at the switch or have money to burn! Only about 50 people turned up at the public meeting and they did not seem to raise a lot of questions or objections. I believe that Council and Administration is counting on public apathy to allow this "road maintenance levy" to slip though unopposed during the December 2014 budget deliberations.

If people think that after this levy is passed by the current Council that in the 2014 elections they can just throw out the current Council and immediately the levy will disappear from the 2015 budget, they had better think again. Any new Council will not be sworn in until late December 2014 or early January 2015. By that time the 2015 budget will already be set and contracts for the 2015 "road improvements" largely in place. Probably the earliest you could get "tax relief" would be the 2016 budget.

Perhaps the taxpayers of Lake Country are getting what they deserve. They seem little interested in their Council and municipal affairs. Voter turnout is traditionally poor. Perhaps they will wake up when they receive their June 2014 tax notices with full payment due the first week of July!
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

That's too bad Erin. I thought there would be a better turn out.

Or perhaps the public feels that it doesn't matter what they say to DLC mayor and council, they just go ahead and ram their stupid ideas through anyway. Ergo Main Street, Palmolive Parkwash, taking volunteer hobby organizations to the Supreme Court, etc.

I think it's incumbent of DLC taxpayers to get behind a movement of complete change to wipe the stinky butt of City Hall clean in the next election.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Look to the CFO for all the problems with increases .... more than just a council change needed.... time for some staff changes after all this time. Silently the staff control what the mayor and council pass and then the taxpayer ends up on the short end
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

WAKE UP CITIZENS OF LAKE COUNTRY! On December 10 and again on December 12 the Council will be passing the provisional budget for 2014. The tax increase for "improved road maintenance" appears to be part of this budget. During this meeting there is an opportunity for citizens to state their position for or against this $250 average tax increase per property.

Blaming the District administration for the "problems and increases" is not fair. These people react to the fiscal and visionary plans set each year by Council. Mayor and Council represent you, the electorate. If the electorate remains apathetic to this tax increase and what their elected representatives are doing, then they have no one to blame but themselves. Fortunately, I am moving on. I will not be floored by the shock of opening my DOLC tax bill in June of 2014. However, I will be watching this forum to see the comments at that time.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

erinmore3775 wrote:WAKE UP CITIZENS OF LAKE COUNTRY! On December 10 and again on December 12 the Council will be passing the provisional budget for 2014. The tax increase for "improved road maintenance" appears to be part of this budget. During this meeting there is an opportunity for citizens to state their position for or against this $250 average tax increase per property.

Blaming the District administration for the "problems and increases" is not fair. These people react to the fiscal and visionary plans set each year by Council. Mayor and Council represent you, the electorate. If the electorate remains apathetic to this tax increase and what their elected representatives are doing, then they have no one to blame but themselves. Fortunately, I am moving on. I will not be floored by the shock of opening my DOLC tax bill in June of 2014. However, I will be watching this forum to see the comments at that time.

If you do not think the CFO plays a huge roll in advising and directing the mayor and council on HIS PROFESSIONAL opinion then think again.
Council come up with brilliant ideas and then go to staff and say make it happen. The result is the baby of the administration which then comes back to Council for authorization/acceptance.
Council come up with the brilliant ideas from the reports from staff on what needs to be done.
So administration plays a huge roll ... council and mayor only take the recommendations and act on them. If the do not like the recommendations then they send the matter back to staff to come up with new recommendations and around and around it goes until they come to a concensus.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Fumigate the whole place!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

While the urge to "fumigate the entire place" and and to abdicate responsibility while "Silently the staff control what the mayor and council pass and then the taxpayer ends up on the short end..." is not really the answer to the question posed. There is a 20% tax hike coming to the taxpayers of Lake Country and they really do not seem to care.

My point is that Mayor and Council have not been questioned on this proposed tax hike. They have not been questioned on alternative plans. Issues related to the budget have not been questioned. If this budget is passed, DOLC taxpayers can expect a tax increase between 21.5% and 26.5% (includes increased contract costs, inflation, salary increases, AND the increase in road maintenance). I cannot understand why taxpayers are not raising a bigger stink!

Road improvements have been on the budgetary agenda of the DOLC since its incorporation. However, never has there been a plan like this. Its final approval in the 2014 budget is a political one. Elected officials decide depending on how they judge the "climate" of the electorate. Since the DOLC electorate does not seem to care, this item will pass. As I said before, I will not be here to receive my June tax bill. However, I will be visiting this forum in June 2014 to see how many taxpayers care then. I urge anyone who has even an inkling of civic responsibility to attend the December 10 and 12th 2014 Budget Council Meetings.

Steve CTO

Re: property tax increase coming!

Post by Steve CTO »

Come-on Lake Country residents let’s do something to stop Lake Country increasing our taxes $250 or more. Speak-up now or the District will think they have the go-ahead to put taxes up… up…up… and don’t forget what the mayor said about a new Taj Mahal Fire Hall building worth 6 million +, the mayor stated he would NOT let the residents vote on spending the money he would just go-ahead and build it (how much will that increase taxes?)… We have BC Hydro $300 increase per year – High Fuel Tax – Carbon Tax etc. (STOP THE MADNESS)

If the District of Lake Country does increase our taxes we should have a tax revolt (we ALL should hold off paying our district taxes)

Is anyone out there willing to take on the challenge? I will help!!

Don’t just take it… Do something about it…
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

One way would be to start attending council meetings and getting up a having your voice heard.
The actual attendance rate at meetings is deplorable to say the least and that is just the gallery of those listening. The rate gets far worse when you look at how many actually get up and speak.
It is not uncommon as it is the same in most municipalities.
But if you are the least bit concerned or interested about this then letters to the editor, emails to council and mayor, followed by standing room only attendance is the only thing that is going to get their attention.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Just might be because some have found out that attempting to get a message across falls on deaf ears, so they tired of wasting their breath.

These clowns go and do whatever they wish, pretty much as if it's a dictatorship, so the only way to fix it is fumigate the whole place, including the pencil pushing monkeys they have under their thumbs.

I know of an instance where an acquaintance invested 10yrs into trying to convince them they were out to lunch with one of their plans, meetings galore, even lunch with the Mayor once, all nothing more than a waste of time.

Once they set their sights on something there's no swaying them.

There's but one way to fix such a scenario!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Just might be because some have found out that attempting to get a message across falls on deaf ears, so they tired of wasting their breath.

These clowns go and do whatever they wish, pretty much as if it's a dictatorship, so the only way to fix it is fumigate the whole place, including the pencil pushing monkeys they have under their thumbs.

I know of an instance where an acquaintance invested 10yrs into trying to convince them they were out to lunch with one of their plans, meetings galore, even lunch with the Mayor once, all nothing more than a waste of time.

Nor does ONE voice....
Individuals seldom have a chance at making any form of change on issues that concern the tax base.
Having lunch with a councillor or the mayor isn't going to get you anywhere either.
They will all be respectful enough to entertain you during a meeting as well but again you are only one leaf from a very large tree.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Just might be because some have found out that attempting to get a message across falls on deaf ears, so they tired of wasting their breath.

I think you're right. They just do what they want. There's such a bunch of egotistical "legacy builders" sauntering through those halls. But, I do think the threat of fumigation needs to be heard loudly and clearly!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
The Equalizer

Post by The Equalizer »

What really pisses me off about this is the secrecy with how they are going about it. The small ad in the local paper talks about the plan...but FAILS to mention the cost. The DLC reported that every homeowner in LC would receive an info pamphlet.
I most certainly DID NOT. Did any of you ? I would like to know please if you did.
I tried to take the POS survey the other day and it was closed already.
How did ANY of you Lake Country tax payers learn about this situation ?
What happens to this 20 year plan when road construction cost double in 3 years ??? As they MOST CERTAINLY WILL.

Will the council come looking for another handout from us?
Please speak up folks...I need ammunition here....cause I'm GOING IN.

EQ
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

The Equalizer wrote:What really pisses me off about this is the secrecy with how they are going about it. The small ad in the local paper talks about the plan...but FAILS to mention the cost. The DLC reported that every homeowner in LC would receive an info pamphlet.
I most certainly DID NOT. Did any of you ? I would like to know please if you did.

I tried to take the POS survey the other day and it was closed already.
How did ANY of you Lake Country tax payers learn about this situation ?
What happens to this 20 year plan when road construction cost double in 3 years ??? As they MOST CERTAINLY WILL.

Will the council come looking for another handout from us?
Please speak up folks...I need ammunition here....cause I'm GOING IN.

EQ

Mine came in the mail about 2 weeks ago or so, plus I saw the ad in the paper and the story the LC Calendar wrote.
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

Thank you to TheEqualizer and your original posting...that is how I came to learn of the increase...I too have not received a pamphlet...I wrote a letter to the editor for Castanet three days ago and so far just the usual automated response...I also contacted CHBC via email and have had no response...guess we are on our own...spread the word and hopefully we can rock the house on Tuesday and Thursday for the council meetings...this is our last chance to be heard before the increase gets approved...

Return to “Central Okanagan”