For Sale in the Lakes?

burner
Fledgling

For Sale in the Lakes?

Post by burner »

In our quest for a new home one of the areas we are looking at is the Lakes which seems to be a nice new development (little worried about the drive to work in Kelowna) but my only concern would be the amount of homes for sale there, is it just spring fever or is there something else people aren't happy with in the area? Sure seems nice other than maybe the new hiway below but I don't hear any noise from it.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: For Sale in the Lakes?

Post by LANDM »

There are homes for sale everywhere. Not really any more or less up there. It only is noticeable because you are looking.
You and 71 others Like this post
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

burner wrote:In our quest for a new home one of the areas we are looking at is the Lakes which seems to be a nice new development (little worried about the drive to work in Kelowna) but my only concern would be the amount of homes for sale there, is it just spring fever or is there something else people aren't happy with in the area? Sure seems nice other than maybe the new hiway below but I don't hear any noise from it.

I've wondered the same thing myself, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of listings in The Lakes when compared to other areas of Lake Country, sure, there are homes for sale everywhere (like it was stated above), but when you use the MLS map to plot that area, The Lakes has way more listings than anywhere else, even when you take out (building) lots that are for sale. Its been like that for at least 2 years now which is when I first noticed it. Yet everyone I talk to that lives there says they like the neighbourhood. With the amount of homes listed for sale (39 current MLS house listings), you'd think it be a buyers market up there right now for sure.
mwalsh

Post by mwalsh »

They are expensive considering, which I think is a downfall. They are still building up there and I do believe a good portion of the listings may be new builds. Nice area if you want the cookie cutter planned neighbourhoods. I personally think the lots are too small, and you can get more bang for your buck in other neighbourhoods that are equally nice if not better.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

New neighbourhoods always have more houses for sale than well established ones. The reasons for this should be self explanatory.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
vistaww

Post by vistaww »

I think several people bought in there at the start with the idea of flipping homes.
burner
Fledgling

Post by burner »

All makes sense! Thanks for the input.
vistaww

Post by vistaww »

I hope you choose Lake Country. We love it here and even though I worked In Kelowna for a few years when we first moved here the drive was always worth it. Good luck in your house hunt.
Carol
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

vistaww wrote:I hope you choose Lake Country. We love it here and even though I worked In Kelowna for a few years when we first moved here the drive was always worth it. Good luck in your house hunt.
Carol

I can assure you that depending on where in Kelowna one resides, and works, it may well be far less travel to commute from Lake Country.

I once lived in the Mission area, and traffic built up to where in summer it would often take half an hour to forty minutes to get to work in the Sexsmith Road area, whereas now it takes me 11-12 minutes most days.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
SLX2007
Fledgling

Post by SLX2007 »

Home sales in The Lakes due to changes in the medical marihuana laws (home grows).

The commute isn't so bad, my wife does it daily and says it is worth the drive, commuting time, and gas cost to be out in Lake Country.
Okanagan & the oil patch
rexvirtue

Post by rexvirtue »

i don't live in the lakes, but just below. my best time to get to work (near landmark buildings) is 17 minutes. no speeding, but just catching the lights on glenmore right, or driving on the highway after a late shift. some on my coworkers have a longer drive then me and they live in the mission. average time 22 minutes. enjoy the drive.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

SLX2007 wrote:The commute isn't so bad, my wife does it daily and says it is worth the drive, commuting time, and gas cost to be out in Lake Country.

You get better gas mileage on the highway, so it's entirely possible to actually save money on fuel, as opposed to sitting in city traffic, and dealing with dozens of lights.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Most people in Lake Country take the Glenmore Freeway into town. Only takes 10 minutes into town Kelowna at the typical 120 km/h speed.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
mwalsh

Post by mwalsh »

Glacier wrote:Most people in Lake Country take the Glenmore Freeway into town. Only takes 10 minutes into town Kelowna at the typical 120 km/h speed.

I have a hard time believing you can do 120 km/h on Glenmore. Every time I take glenmore I get stuck behind some big truck of sorts or a slow poke doing 60 or 70 the whole way.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Glacier wrote:Most people in Lake Country take the Glenmore Freeway into town. Only takes 10 minutes into town Kelowna at the typical 120 km/h speed.

Lol. Obviously a glenmore resident and not someone who actually drives the full glenmore road stretch on a regular basis.

I'm lucky to do 70km/hr despite the 80km/hr limit. Sometimes I get lucky and can do 80km/hr for most of the trip. Of course - just as often I'm stuck doing 60km/hr behind some Granny too scared to drive on the highway. It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother trying to pass anymore as I'll just get stuck behind a different vehicle going even slower around the next corner.

Don't get me started on the rattle-traps wheezing their way to the dump with an unsecured load of garbage blowing out everywhere. :(

Return to “Central Okanagan”