Water meters coming to your home

TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Water meters coming to your home

Post by TylerM4 »

LordEd wrote:They are extracting and filtering the water themselves. Should they pay something? Probably. That would mean homeowners on wells would also have to pay.

You're paying because the water is being delivered to you. If you dig a well and treat it yourself, you wouldn't.

I tend to agree.

FYI: The Okanagan Basin Water Board is currently pushing hard for groundwater regulation and controlls. If they get their way, we'll be paying at a minimum a licensing fee and while they may not charge you per liter, they're going to mandate that you measure and report your consumption at a minimum. Licenses issued will have limitations (Gallons per day) on what you are allowed to consume.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

I don't care what they do. I already pay almost $700.00 a year I will continue to use all I want to wash my driveway. Then i will tap into a real close orchardists water line.Ta daa bobs yer uncle
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

The " Smart World" is being engineered chip by chip.

All metering will be "Smart"...appliances, street lights, toilets etc.

This is the dawning of the age of the technological matrix.

If only the majority had foresight!
hashtag

Post by hashtag »

User pay is a good idea provided all users pay. I looked for agricultural irrigation rates but couldn't find anything quick. I hope agricultural land will be charged by use too, but obviously a reduced rate. We've all seen a patch of land being irrigated at 8:00 am and the same[u][/u] patch irrigated at 5:30 pm. All day, really, nothing but rice needs that much water! Right now farms have a control valve that limits the amount of pressure but not the volume amount, so use it 24/7 if you want. And why can they water vineyards or orchards during the day when residential users have night time restrictions? Does evaporation occur differently on agricultural lots? Maybe we need the alternating aggy/resi times?

Hope our cash strapped District won't use these water meters as a cash cow for more bogus consultancies and buyouts. (ok cheap shot but...)
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

My neighbour has a few acres A1 land - grass field - mows it every couple weeks. Has 3 sprinkler systems going 24/7 from June to October. Uses more water in a month then the entire neighbourhood in a year. As pointed out, no controls. Bunch of BS. And why we're paying $700/year. Told the District. First couple times they said 'la de da - he's A1, can do anything he wants' (no exaggeration). Next year they finally talked to him - lasted a couple weeks until he was sure they weren't checking on him. Back full on. There will be no progress when knuckleheads like him are allowed free reign. I gave up.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

james-d wrote:I don't care what they do. I already pay almost $700.00 a year I will continue to use all I want to wash my driveway. Then i will tap into a real close orchardists water line.Ta daa bobs yer uncle

Most people call that stealing.
step_one

Post by step_one »

All they are looking for is a cash grab. Why don't they just raise the property taxes.....and get it over with.
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

District says that water usage for agricultural zoned land will be billed at the same rate as residential if they don't have farm status (more than $2K in farm income per year or something close to that), but that policy will not be enforced for a few years yet - about the same time they start enforcing billing in relation to water use through metering - in 2017. Until then metered water usage will be shown on water bills but the same rates will apply as they do now.

They are hoping that out of control water abusers will voluntarily see the error of their ways over the next 3 years and 'buy-in' to cutting back to appropriate use.

In real world parlance, it means like every other level of government and corporation these days, we are too afraid to tell someone to stop being stupid or else, in case we violate some right, or maybe they had a crappy childhood.

Please stop, but love yooouuuuuuu.

Return to “Central Okanagan”