No plastic bags in recycling?

Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Re: No plastic bags in recycling?

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

No one in my neighborhood , including myself has received any notice of any kind regarding recycling changes.

How many of you in here have received a notice as to new recycling changes?

I assume this notice would outline what is and is not permitted in our recycling bins. Without this notice we have not been informed ,as to what is or is not allowed . We are not mind readers.

We all will continue to recycle as we have already been doing.

Par for the coarse for the DLC= incompetent!.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I've certainly not received any notification.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

It's not just a DLC thing, it's the whole RDCO that's got the new recycling rules. I live in Kelowna and haven't received any notification either. They've all dropped the ball as far as informing us on what can and can't go in the blue bins. I expect to see it publicized after the fact, when the contractor starts complaining to them about having to sort the bits they don't want to be sorting.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The most inconvenient thing about this latest change is that, given the other necessities kept there, I do not have room under my sink for the fourth container; garbage, cans & bottles. recycle and now plastic bags. "Hardship is now upon is"
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

So I took my Styrofoam and plastic bags to the local LC recycling depot like we're supposed to now, but guess what, they don't take Styrofoam or plastic bags at this depot... *bleep*, now I have to haul that stuff to Kelowna to get rid of, nearest place is the Glenmore Landfill, or some other depots at various Kelowna locations ... most people will now dump that stuff into the garbage or just keep putting it into the blue bin and let the recycling people deal with it. The local depot should be made to take this stuff, I don't have a problem collecting it and taking it there, but I rarely go to Kelowna, and feel I shouldn't have to take a special trip (to Kelowna) just to get rid of it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So far we have not received any official notice of any changes. So I'm still doing things the same.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bah Humbug ...

Thanks for the "heads up". Have not had to deal with disposing of plastic bags yet as we use cloth bags for groceries and all of the plastic "store bags" have been used to hold garbage.

If you phone 250-868-3211 you will be able to talk to a City Recycle and Garbage "Guru" who has answered any questions we have had about how to dispose of what.

The new land fill makes things much easier than before as well. Aint life wonderful???
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

My take on the whole thing is that some recycling company lobbied the provincial government to steer plastic bag recycling their way, the head honchos at the recycling company will make a ton of money out of it, the provincial government will get something extra out of it, and the local yokels will be required to accommodate both above mentioned benefactors by doubling our recycling efforts, for free.

In the big business world there is just too much greed that feeds on the compliance of the consumers, and there is no doubt in my mind that the recent recycling changes are based mainly on that.

I continue to put plastic bags and whatever else I feel should be recycled into my blue bin, and have been doing that for years.

I think the current state of recycling programs is a joke considering the push for it in Canada started many years ago.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

If we want to live in a "cleaner" world, should we, the consumers, not be the ones demanding more organized recycling from government and private industry? Rather than only (reluctantly?) following that part of recycling that has been made mandatory by legislation?

Our children will have to survive in the world conditions that we leave them. We demand that they even keep their rooms clean while we carry on making more of an unholy mess of the world in which we and they live. A bit hypocritical, don't you think?
joe smo
Fledgling

Post by joe smo »

Today I had my recycling experience. We had a flat screen TV box and packaging to dispose of as well as the various bits of plastic and bags we have collected in the last 6 weeks.

15 minute drive to, 15 minutes at the depot being educated and 15 minutes home again. Yes, a 45 minute exercise.

Here’s what I brought home with me - the Styrofoam bag that goes over the screen, nope not recyclable, the foam packing that holds the screen in place, nope- not recyclable, some bubble wrap, no - not that either. I took all my bags in a Rubbermaid bin that was cracked - nope can't recycle that either. All these items have the recyclable symbol on them.

Now that I have a garbage can of recyclable products, that aren't actually recyclable - where do I put my garbage?

Time to bring back the normal sized garbage bin as I have a feeling that there will be a lot more "recyclables" going into the regular garbage stream.

Apparently the new system will only accommodate those items that were purchased in packaging where a fee has been paid. The plastic bin was not sold with something in it and therefore no fee paid, so not "recyclable" by the current quasi governmental "not for profit" organization Recycling Council of BC.

The mandate of the new "system" should be to eliminate ALL recyclables from the landfill. If a fee needs to be charged to the manufacturer, then do it. If products are packed with non recyclable packaging then ban it. Manufacturers will adapt pretty darn quickly. They won’t like it; they will lobby, moan, groan, and complain that the consumer won’t pay. Blah Blah Blah.

Well I paid today with my time and gas.

This "new and improved" system is garbage!
as each day passes, the things I don't know increases exponentially
vistaww

Post by vistaww »

Absolutely agree with you. I do my best and am better than most so there's no way the new system is going to work for the other 65%, they've made it too hard, not just now but forever. If I have to pay $50-$100 more a year myself, it would still be a bargain as my time is valuable, especially weekend time. Also, I've recently had surgery so can't even drive so I now have insight in to that user group as well. Non fit, non-vehicle and non-able (including Seniors that fit in this group) are not going to be able to go to the return-it anyway so have likely always been a part of the throw it out problem.
There's really only one way to take care of the recycling/garbage issue properly and that is to provide recycle containers for the possible items (including alcohol/beverage bottles, plastics, paper, etc) and then let them sort/discard the non-recyclables from that pile at site. There would no longer be a reason to take anything back somewhere else. All deposits would go to the Government Recycling progam as would our taxes for that service. The current return places could subcontract to the landfill sites and run that side of the operation. Even if I still had to pay a deposit on my liquor bottles that would never be returned I would choose to put them in recycle every time. Not worth the storage space/gas/drive time/time off time for so little refund- keep it. GST is an end user system so it shouldn't be too tough to make an Enviro-fee one as well. Charge an Enviro fee for Manufacturers that do not use compostable items.
Last edited by vistaww on Jun 27th, 2014, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Like I said earlier they're only interested in what they can turn into instant cash with minimal effort, and to heck with the rest of the stuff.

As I also said earlier people are getting fed up with this ridiculous selective garbage pickup and will simply chuck whatever they are unsure of into the trash bin.

If they were truly concerned about recycling recyclables they'd go out of their way to make it as easy as possible for the homeowner to be compliant.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

waste management in general? NO plastic bags are just one

Post by Queen K »

As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

A.PRIMES254

Post by A.PRIMES254 »

things to come for Canada ------ up to 7 bins in some German communities.

it takes about 10= years for Canada to follow imo

https://www.howtogermany.com/pages/recycling.html

Return to “Central Okanagan”