No plastic bags in recycling?

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: No plastic bags in recycling?

Post by Hassel99 »

Rwede wrote:
Everyone uses plastic bags, but not everyone uses spiral juice cans. I see it as a step backward with no relief for the financially-abused taxpayers of Lake Country.

Send the BC liberals a letter then, it has nothing to do with DLC, this is a new provincial entity that takes over recycling in BC on May 19th.

http://recyclinginbc.ca/
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:READ the notice you got with the brand new shiny blue bins that showed up at your home.

What brand new shiny blue bins?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Someone has been delivering them to every household.
The program starts May 19 and from what I can figure out every household in BC is going to get them.

Sounds like a sweet contract to have - both supply and delivery....

If you don't have yours yet - keep any eye open - they should be in your neighborhood soon.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Oh goody, be still my heart, more crap to haul back and forth to the highway.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:This is not a DLC thing only - this is province wide.
Not really anything to do with the local councils.

READ the notice you got with the brand new shiny blue bins that showed up at your home.
Then make a comment about how the provincial re-cycling system is screwed over - not your local councils.

I can't read a notice I did not receive, with the brand new shiny blue bins I don't have.
But thanks anyway.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

There's no mention that plastic bags will not be accepted. In fact, in the link above, bags are in the list of accepted items with no mention that pickup will be refused.

Accepted Materials

◦Clear or opaque retail bags for groceries or dry cleaning
◦Clear or opaque bags for bread, newspapers and flyers
◦Clear bags for produce and dry bulk foods
◦Frozen vegetable bags
◦Outer wrap for bulk paper products and soft drink and can flats
◦Water softener, salt, and garden product bags
◦Outer milk bags and pouches
◦Diaper and feminine hygiene product outer bags
◦Pre-washed salad bags
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:I can't read a notice I did not receive, with the brand new shiny blue bins I don't have.

Same here.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

They're a comin' ;) We got ours on Sunday.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Kodi

Post by Kodi »

Recycling collection in Peachland, Lake Country, Kelowna, West Kelowna and RDCO will NOT be getting shiny new blue bins. They will continue to use the carts with the blue lids that they have and the same contractor (Ok Environmental) will be picking up the bins. The shiny blue bins are in the North Okanagan where multi-material BC will be doing the collection after May 19th.

RDCO residents will continue to use their recycling carts as always with two changes. Plastic bags will no longer be accepted into the recycling carts and must be taken to a depot. The second change is a number of additional new items will be able to be recycled in the blue lid cart including milk cartons, disposable paper cups, some aerosol cans, spiral wound cans (i.e frozen juice, coffee, chip cans) and other plastic coated paper containers such as ice cream cartons.

Styrofoam will also be accepted starting May 19th at depots only.

All the information you need about the program changes can be found at http://www.regionaldistrict.com/recyclemore or at Multi-material BC (the organization taking over the Provinces recycling) at http://www.recyclinginbc.ca

Information for RDCO residents will be coming out in the next couple of weeks regarding the program in our area.

Hope that clarifies things a bit for everyone,
Signed,
Regional District Waste Reduction Office
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ You should change your website name from http://www.regionaldistrict.com/recyclemore to http://www.regionaldistrict.com/recyclemuchless to properly reflect your poorly thought out decisions.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Kodi wrote:Recycling collection in Peachland, Lake Country, Kelowna, West Kelowna and RDCO will NOT be getting shiny new blue bins.

Maybe not this year, but they're a comin'.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Kodi wrote: Plastic bags will no longer be accepted into the recycling carts and must be taken to a depot.
Signed,
Regional District Waste Reduction Office

With doggie fertilizer in them, or without?
neamster

Post by neamster »

Hello Kodi,
I understand the ruling, but want to know the why. Why are plastic bags no longer being accepted in the blue bins?

While many residents of Lake Country are responsible recyclers, I am wiling to wager that a number of households will NOT take plastic bags to the depot, but instead will just stuff them into the garbage bins and thence to the landfill, exactly what the programme is supposed to prevent.

So once again, what is the reason WHY plastic bags can no longer go into the household blue bins?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

neamster wrote:Hello Kodi,
I understand the ruling, but want to know the why. Why are plastic bags no longer being accepted in the blue bins?

While many residents of Lake Country are responsible recyclers, I am wiling to wager that a number of households will NOT take plastic bags to the depot, but instead will just stuff them into the garbage bins and thence to the landfill, exactly what the programme is supposed to prevent.

So once again, what is the reason WHY plastic bags can no longer go into the household blue bins?

X2

Inquiring minds want to know.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

X3

Return to “Central Okanagan”