No plastic bags in recycling?

vistaww

Re: No plastic bags in recycling?

Post by vistaww »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Let the homeless pick them up. Win win

I'm not really in an area where that would work nor am I too interested in having traffic come to my house/neighbourhood to see when/if I've put them out for people to take. Therefore, the only practical donation situation is a drop off and then I'm still loading the bottles/cans in to my car. Having said that, if I could just stop by and dump them in to a donation bin, versus load/sort then I might go for that so that I don't have 5 different bins outside my house attracting flies/rain. I'm not interested in storing even more bins and then calling for a pickup when there's a reasonable amount there for a non-profit to come get (thus also spending more weekend time off, albeit for a good cause)
chmc

Post by chmc »

Recycling has turned into another money grab business, if it cuts into their profit margin then figure out another way to dispose of it. Send the bags to Subway and they can recycle them into the buns they serve.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Well I still have not received this fictitious notice that the OP received.

So I will have to assume the plastic bag thingy does not apply in my area of Lake Country. :)
BigBad

Post by BigBad »

I personally do not see what the big fuss is about. I would rather we adopt a recycling program like they do in Ontario. When my sister was posted to CFB Petawawa they had to separate glass, paper, cardboard (yes it's different), and cans. Everything had to be rinsed off before it went out. In Australia they also receive can squisher's and paper shredders so that the recycling is more compact. If you are thinking greener then you are also returning bottles and cans so you can easily bring your bags with you.
BigBad

Post by BigBad »

Also some European countries have such a great waste and recycling program that they turn the waste into energy to supply its residents. There are even cities in the states that use the methane gas from landfills to produce power to cities; yet our city burns it off instead of harnessing it.
There are many ways that could help Kelowna/Lake Country pioneer into greener living but our "folks in charge" do not like it as they would rather spend money ruining lake front properties. If our cities did do this we could be famous for making a difference. We were some of the lowest to make a difference for Earth Hour so I doubt they would give up more time to make a bigger impact.
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

chmc wrote:Recycling has turned into another money grab business, if it cuts into their profit margin then figure out another way to dispose of it. Send the bags to Subway and they can recycle them into the buns they serve.

Its OK the be served plastic that is used in shoe soles in Subway's bread/buns...so why not plastic bags?

All joking aside...this is a money grab...I too sort my recycling, rinse cans and plastic bottles, keep plastic bags separate, take glass to the recycling depot, etc, etc, next thing I will personally have to deliver each and every item to the appropriate facility. The companies that take on these contracts are making big $$, but the more they make the less they want to do for it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Central-Ok ... am-expands

So it's not just Lake Country doing this but all the Okanagan. I like the fact that some new items have been added but the ones we now have to sort ourselves and take to a Depot is BS. We will waste more in fuel than we will save by recycling these items!

I can see more people just throwing more stuff in the garbage rather than taking it to the Depot.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Up until now I have always recycled the plastic store grocery bags and used them to collect household garbage in before taking the garbage (and the bag) to the curbside garbage (black) container. Since plastic bags must all now be taken to the Depot, what are we now going to use to put our household garbage into to take it to the garbage bin?

I assume using the odd grocery store provided plastic bags for that purpose will continue to be acceptable?
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I think you can still use plastic bags to collect your garbage. The plastic bags just aren't supposed to go in with the recycling stuff, as far as I can tell.

Donald G wrote:Up until now I have always recycled the plastic store grocery bags and used them to collect household garbage in before taking the garbage (and the bag) to the curbside garbage (black) container. Since plastic bags must all now be taken to the Depot, what are we now going to use to put our household garbage into to take it to the garbage bin?

I assume using the odd grocery store provided plastic bags for that purpose will continue to be acceptable?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Donald G wrote:Up until now I have always recycled the plastic store grocery bags and used them to collect household garbage in before taking the garbage (and the bag) to the curbside garbage (black) container. Since plastic bags must all now be taken to the Depot, what are we now going to use to put our household garbage into to take it to the garbage bin?

Further to Jo's comment you can still use them as garbage bags, you just can not recycle them via the curb side program. This change is very short sighted as i would imagine the fast majority of plastic bags will end up in the landfill.

IMO this new program is about money and not about recyling. I was paying 16 dollars a year in taxes for our municiple program, for what i consider a better system. The idea that multiple levels of goverment are doing me a big favor by reducing service to save me a whole 16 dollars bu passing that "cost" over to business is utterly rediculous. The thing that bugs me the most, is there is no lid or top for the container i am supposed to recycling newspaper in. The first rain or snowstorm is going to be comical.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Hassel99 wrote:IMO this new program is about money and not about recyling.

You winna da pot Jack. :D

All this is about is more revenue while doing less work.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Cynthia C

Post by Cynthia C »

Please ensure you are getting the correct information for your community. While all the same types of recyclables will be collected throughout the Province, method of collection can vary from community to community.

For those that live in the Central Okanagan (Peachland, West Kelowna, Kelowna, Lake Country, RDCO) visit www.regionaldistrict.com/recyclemore for info

Residents in the Regional District of North Okanagan, Central Kootenay (Areas H, I, J) and Regional District of Kootenay Boundary (East Sub-region) should visit www.recyclinginbc.ca for their recycling program info

Residents in the South Okanagan should check with their municipality.

Any other communities not mentioned should check with their municipality.

Program changes start May 19th, 2014

Cynthia Coates
Waste Reduction Facilitator
RDCO
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I assume, from the last comment, that "Coates" is included in recycling but should not be put in the recycling bin?
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

Cynthia C wrote:Please ensure you are getting the correct information for your community. While all the same types of recyclables will be collected throughout the Province, method of collection can vary from community to community.

Evidently the government, which brought in the recycling programs, has no control or guidelines over what/how items should be recycled...it is according to which company has the contract for each area...pisses a person off to the point of just throw it all in the trash...why waste my time sorting etc...another thing that pisses me off is eco fees on electronics...they don't go to the landfill, they have to go to a recycling depot, who in turn sells the crap to China...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Cynthia C wrote:Please ensure you are getting the correct information for your community. While all the same types of recyclables will be collected throughout the Province, method of collection can vary from community to community.

NOTYOU wrote:Evidently the government, which brought in the recycling programs, has no control or guidelines over what/how items should be recycled...it is according to which company has the contract for each area...pisses a person off to the point of just throw it all in the trash...why waste my time sorting etc..

Yup a point I brought up quite a while back. In the end that's exactly what will happen as people get frustrated and say screw it.

At this point in time, I'm of the belief it would be far easier if they just give us a list of what "is" allowed in the trash, because by my estimation, it ain't much.

This system should be designed to make things as easy and painless as possible for the homeowner, as that, and that alone, will ensure a high compliance rate.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”