Speeders in Lake Country

damama55
Übergod

Speeders in Lake Country

Post by damama55 »

I don't know about you, but we here in Lake Country are sooooo fed up with the speeders and extremely loud vehicles running around our area.
This morning a vehicle rounded the corner off of Bottom Wd. Lk. Rd. onto Woodsdale and lost a heavy piece of equipment that could have taken out a car or the young man that was waiting for the bus. All because of speed and the load not being tied down securely. That was too close for comfort.
We keep reporting the speeders, and yet the same ones seem to be doing it ALL the time--older 4x4's, newer trucks with LOUD mufflers, smaller sporty Honda and Chev type vehicles, and the super loud Harley's that usually travel in two and threes, each one seeing how LOUD they can rev their bikes. We don't mind the ordinary sounds the bikes make. What we are all sick and tired of hearing is the excessive noise and the ridiculous speed some of these vehicles are going. We definitely need more patrols made by the police in the area. Even along the highway you can hear them revving all along by Lake Country, again, all hours of the day and night.
I have been downtown Kelowna, too, and the loudness of the motorbikes is indeed excessive, to say the least. I was on the bus one day, and literally jumped when a bike went roaring past us. What are they trying to prove??? I understand the fun of riding a bike---I don't understand why you are trying to tick everyone off by being ignorant with your speed and loudness. How many more have to die before it gets through drivers head that speed kills, or that they may kill someone else.
SLOW DOWN AND ENJOY THE RIDE AND LIVE AND PLEASE, PLEASE STOP BEING SOOOOOO ABNOXIOUSLY LOUD IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
btom

Re: Speeders in Lake Country

Post by btom »

Totally agree. It is called lack of respect.
knoet2007

Post by knoet2007 »

Very much agree with the noise, incl the highway.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

The speeders usually come down, or go up, Bottom Wd. Lk. Rd., and then bee line it up Woodsdale to either the Highway, or the other way to Oyama or even just to the end of Woodsdale, where a few of them live. Officers need to just come down this way, sit and listen, and they will hear them. Maybe there has to be a death involved before something seriously needs to be done?? Last year, I saw an SUV almost flip when it left the Gen. stores parking lot. There are a lot of seniors and kids in this area, and it is just a matter of time before there is a major accident happening. Even along Okanagan Center Rd. E, there are a lot of tire marks where vehicles have been speeding and seeing how fast they can take off from a dead stop. Again, more patrols need to be made by officers to make our area safe for drivers and pedestrians, and more tickets should be written. Hit them in their wallets before they hit someone. I feel sooooo sorry for the ones in the RV park there at Turtle Bay. Early in the morning, between 7and 9, it is ridiculous. Then, at around dinner time, again, the loud vehicles are speeding by and drowning out conversations and the enjoyment of the area. When Lodge Rd. was redone, they put in speed bumps, but that only slows them down a little, but it is better than what we have along Woodsdale and Btm.Wd.Lk. I just don't understand how the same drivers can keep doing the same thing over and over and not getting caught and fined???
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

If there are repeat offenders then try to get their license plate, and phone it into the RCMP. Tell them what you have seen with respect to that vehicle. If the RCMP get enough complaints about the same vehicle, they will follow it up with the owner. It's not any different than phoning the police when you see suspicious activity say at a neighbours house, excessive speed and dangerous driving is a crime in progress just like any other situation. If you see a vehicle driving dangerously on the highway your passenger can call it in, or pull over when it's safe and call it in. Have the RCMP number in your contacts. It might save someone an accident down the road.

Cheers & have a good summer.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Sometimes they go sooooo fast, it is very hard to get their numbers. But, I do have some numbers, and yes, I do call. That is the exact advice officers gave me. Once again, I hope no one gets killed or seriously injured before they realize the danger they are putting themselves and others in. As we all know, when officers are around, everyone is Mr. and Mrs. Law Abiding Citizen. Thank God for our officers, but they don't have an easy job. They are darned if they do and darned if they don't. I just hope they keep up with getting the idiots off the road--one way or the other. If you don't speed and endanger yourself and others, then you have nothing to worry about. Once again, SLOW DOWN. There are some really nice vehicles out there, and we do enjoy seeing them. But, if you are going sooooo fast, and dangerously, we don't get to appreciate the beauty of either the vehicles or the bikes. Seriously, you have spent a lot of money, or are spending a lot of money, for your beauty, but with the speed and annoying way you are driving, we don't get to appreciate it. I love giving a thumbs up to a driver, instead of trying to get their license number to report them.
PS--It is not the out of province drivers that I see too many of--it is BC plates mostly and MOST of them live in the area! ! !
Last edited by damama55 on May 27th, 2014, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Its not only in Lake Country. Its all over the Province. Including trucks going at least 20 over and more. If you drive the speed limit, you are nowadays the slowest in your lane causing speeders to pass you anyway possible including passing on double solid yellow lines.Its out of control and the government does not do anything about it. No wonder if you have a premier who runs a red light or a previous premier who was picked up for drinking and driving in Hawaii.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Sounds to me like the problem is that the speed limits are too low.
Meeko666
Fledgling

Post by Meeko666 »

It's not only the roads mentioned in this post that people speed on. I do the 50 kmph through town on the highway and people are passing me like I'm standing still. Never see the cops with their radar by Woody's any more.... I think it's time they set up their post there again.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

John500 wrote:No wonder if you have a premier who runs a red light or a previous premier who was picked up for drinking and driving in Hawaii.

Good Lord man, give it a break.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

damama55 wrote: we are all sick and tired of hearing is the excessive noise and the ridiculous speed some of these vehicles are going.

Agreed to the Max, it's an epidemic now, and nothing is being done!
It's everywhere though!
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

damama55 wrote: we are all sick and tired of hearing is the excessive noise and the ridiculous speed some of these vehicles are going.

Agreed to the Max, it's an epidemic now, and nothing is being done!
It's everywhere though!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Too many roads, too many people, too many vehicles...

Too few cops to patrol....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The best way to reduce the number of speeders is to up the speed limit. Drove the Pelmeparkway the other day. 50km/h is super slow if you ask me.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Change it to 60 and everyone will do 70, change it to 100 and they do 110

If your kid has a curfew of 9 and keeps coming in at 10 solution or rather the correction of the infraction a simple move the time limit?
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar

Return to “Central Okanagan”