Speeders in Lake Country

Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Speeders in Lake Country

Post by Relentless »

Glacier wrote:If the price goes to $5/litre, everyone will be driving 90km/h down the parkway to save on fuel since it is more fuel efficient to go 90 than 50.

I doubt that, the faster you drive, the more gas it takes, pretty simple concept.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Speed bumps in residential neighbourhoods are not popular, but the do the job for which they were intended. That's why some folks refer to them as "sleeping policemen".
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

UltraViolet wrote:I doubt that, the faster you drive, the more gas it takes, pretty simple concept.

Wrong. Drive 5 km/h from Lake Country to Vernon, and measure you consumption. Then drive in reverse at 90km/h, and get back to me. Hint: the most efficient speed for a vehicle is between 80 and 90 km/h.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I like that--"Sleeping Policemen". We need more of them, especially on straight stretches of residential roads. If we can't get drivers to lift their heavy foot one way, THEN we need to get them to do it with speed bumps that will damage their vehicles IF THEY SPEED. As for the price of gas?? The oil companies are laughing all the way to the bank, while we keep making them richer. When one goes up or down, they ALL go up, or down. Yet there is no price fixing?? Well, speeders, keep burning the gas and oil and keep speeding. One way or the other, you will pay the price.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Wow! ! It is hard to believe that Kelowna, and apparently, Lake Country, can't do a thing about the excessively loud motorbikes and vehicles. In this day and age, I guess we have to just keep getting scared out of our seats by these ridiculously loud and obnoxious vehicles. Our government can move fast enough when they want something, but, when it comes to the average citizen's complaints, I guess we have to adopt the wait and see attitude.
"Romanchuk says he was ready to launch a crack-down on loud motorcycles, using provincial legislation as his primary tool.

“We did have a technique in mind that we thought we could enforce through the Motor Vehicle Act regulations,” says Romanchuk.

But those plans have suddenly been muffled.

“I was just made aware this morning of a court decision in the Lower Mainland ruling that’s an avenue we can’t pursue now.”

Romanchuck says provincial laws dealing with noisy vehicles are too vague to enforce.

B.C.’s Attorney General, Suzanne Anton, says she’s aware of the problem and is promising change.

“We’re working on a provincial standard to give police additional tools”

It’s the news Councillor Stack is disappointed to hear.

“I am actually, because what I was hoping for was a period of time where we could crack-down on the really bad offenders”
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

Wow!! You would think, with the roads wet with rain or snow, that people would finally slow down!! NOTTT!! I am awakened usually about 5:30 AM sooooo many mornings. Old trucks, new trucks, cars with excessively loud mufflers. or, standard vehicles speeding in second gear and seeing how much noise they can make that early in the morning. It is so frustrating and very nerve wracking.
Even late at night, when most places are in darkness because people are trying to sleep, it still goes on!! I don't understand how excessively loud mufflers are allowed by law. If transport vehicles CAN be charged for gearing down through residential areas, why can't normal vehicles be charged??? for excessive noise through those same areas????
The speed limit through the side streets and roads of Lake Country, is 50 Km hour---NOT 80-100!! And yes, some vehicles are doing this. I wish we had more officers in our police station here, instead of them having to come from Kelowna to do a patrol once, maybe twice, an evening.
Another pet peeve is that of people, because they don't see an officer around, using their phones!!!! Duh!!!! STOP IT!!!
Maybe we will have to have a serious accident to get these serious problems addressed and lots of tickets handed out???
HIT THEM IN THE POCKET BOOK A FEW TIMES. Slow down--the life you safe could be your own or one of your loved one's.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The faster people drive through your neighbourhood, the less time they will be there, and therefore, the more quiet you'll experience.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

I doubt that, the faster you drive, the more gas it takes, pretty simple concept.

Glacier wrote:Wrong. Drive 5 km/h from Lake Country to Vernon, and measure you consumption. Then drive in reverse at 90km/h, and get back to me. Hint: the most efficient speed for a vehicle is between 80 and 90 km/h.

First of all, it depends what you are driving, how heavy, type of vehicle, transmission type, wind speed and direction.

If I drive my standard transmission 2200 lb car, I will get about the same mileage.
If I drive my standard Transmission 5600 lb truck, I will definitely burn way more fuel at 90Kms/hr than at 50.
It takes more energy to keep a heavier vehicle at a higher speed, wind resistance plays a key role as well.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.......
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Glacier wrote:The faster people drive through your neighbourhood, the less time they will be there, and therefore, the more quiet you'll experience.

The faster a noisy vehicle drives through our neighborhoods, the more annoying it is, and more annoying for a longer period of time because of the loud exhaust system is heard sooner and heard further away when it leaves.
Also,the faster a vehicle travels, the more damage it can do when it loses control.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I mean, when they can be heard driving on the main highway, AFTER they leave the side roads, too. They tear through here AND THEN tear up the highway. If you think a 4 wheel drive vehicle will stop faster, think again. The previous posters are so right--the faster you drive the more gas you burn AND the more damage you do when you lose control of your $$$$$$ vehicle. Our officers can't be everywhere at once, but, we do need more patrols around the area for them to catch you, the idiots that are putting your life, and others, in danger. Just hope none of you put yourselves or innocents in the hospital or the morgue.
Most of the speeders and noisy vehicles are on their way to work, or coming back from work. Well, hopefully you all make it, safe and sound. It is just ridiculous that you have to be so obnoxious in your travels. Like Shania says, "That Don't Impress Me Much!" You all are the first ones that would complain and cry if another speeder took out one of your loved ones. Just hope and pray it never happens.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

damama55 wrote:Wow!! You would think, with the roads wet with rain or snow, that people would finally slow down!! NOTTT!! I am awakened usually about 5:30 AM sooooo many mornings. Old trucks, new trucks, cars with excessively loud mufflers. or, standard vehicles speeding in second gear and seeing how much noise they can make that early in the morning. It is so frustrating and very nerve wracking.
Even late at night, when most places are in darkness because people are trying to sleep, it still goes on!! I don't understand how excessively loud mufflers are allowed by law. If transport vehicles CAN be charged for gearing down through residential areas, why can't normal vehicles be charged??? for excessive noise through those same areas????
The speed limit through the side streets and roads of Lake Country, is 50 Km hour---NOT 80-100!! And yes, some vehicles are doing this. I wish we had more officers in our police station here, instead of them having to come from Kelowna to do a patrol once, maybe twice, an evening.
Another pet peeve is that of people, because they don't see an officer around, using their phones!!!! Duh!!!! STOP IT!!!
Maybe we will have to have a serious accident to get these serious problems addressed and lots of tickets handed out???
HIT THEM IN THE POCKET BOOK A FEW TIMES. Slow down--the life you safe could be your own or one of your loved one's.

This is an interesting problem, you are describing EXACTLY what is taking place in our neighborhood in Rutland.

We have issues with hundreds of vehicles blasting through our "residential" streets, and among these are a few regulars flying through to their homes a block away, they don't stop at stop signs. are on their cell phones all the time, and have their stereo's pounding so hard that all the rusted metal panels are dropping rust from the excessive noise from the sub woofers.

This takes place at all hours of the day and night, so we take turns calling the Police, only to be told that there is nothing that can be done, because there are no existing laws that address these issues.

How many "tens" of thousands of complaints a year have to go unanswered before our Provincial/Municipal Governments' get with the program and come up with a common sense approach to dealing with Excessive noise. The Kelowna RCMP would love to issue tickets to offending drivers, but their hands are tied.

The excessive noise issue can only be dealt with by means of some new Legislation.
The excessive speed, aggressive driving, and cell use can only be dealt with via a Police presence, or patrols.
Seeing as how, "patrolling" is not part of the RCMP's reactive approach to problems, issues will continue to build.

It may very well take a fed up homeowner, that finally snaps, to perform some good old fashioned "illegal justice" which makes the news, before someone in our Government wakes up and realizes that the growing problems are not being dealt with!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I used to drive safely and slowly when I only had $200,000 liability, but now that I have $10 million, I drive like a maniac because liability insurance covers everything.
- Douglas Murray
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Interesting information
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/driveHabits.jsp
http://www.goecospeed.com/driving_tips.html
Maintain a Steady Speed
Maintaining a steady speed and minimizing the amount of braking required is an important factor in fuel efficiency. Optimal speed varies with the type of vehicle, although it is typically between 30 to 55 mph (50 to 90 km/h)

A ton of stuff here
http://drivesmartbc.ca/search/node/motorcycle%20noise%20-right
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Kelowna Noise Bylaw 6647
The City of Kelowna has a noise Bylaw, Bylaw 6647. A bylaw to regulate and prohibit the making or causing of noises and sounds within the City of Kelowna

GENERAL REGULATIONS 3.1 No person shall make or cause, or permit to be made or caused, any noise in or on a highway or elsewhere in the City which disturbs the peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort, or convenience of the neighbourhood, or persons in the vicinity.

This is a prime example of an existing Bylaw with no enforcement.
If you call in a complaint in regards to this, they tell you the RCMP are the ones to contact, if you call the RCMP, they tell you there is nothing that they can do.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

"Kelowna Noise Bylaw 6647
The City of Kelowna has a noise Bylaw, Bylaw 6647. A bylaw to regulate and prohibit the making or causing of noises and sounds within the City of Kelowna

GENERAL REGULATIONS 3.1 No person shall make or cause, or permit to be made or caused, any noise in or on a highway or elsewhere in the City which disturbs the peace, rest, enjoyment, comfort, or convenience of the neighbourhood, or persons in the vicinity."

I was told that THAT bylaw refers to someone having, say, a lawnmower or a chainsaw going at ridiculous hours of the day and night!!!! Now, THAT make s a whole lot of sense. But, when it comes to vehicles, it is a different matter. What the heck??? I know I and my neighbors are sooooo fed up with exactly what the person from Rutland says goes on in his neighborhood!! It IS going on all over, and there is very little we can do as Joe or Joan Citizen can do!!! We do need more patrols, and the officers need to be sitting either in a parking lot where they can see and hear what is going on, or we need to do a citizen patrol. As for reporting them, most of the time they are going sooooo fast, you are lucky to get a description of the vehicle, never mind a license number!!!! As the person from Rutland said, the offenders are locals, and just don't give a toot about anyone else's enjoyment of their home. We have had people move because of the problem of super loud vehicles speeding through the area.
I know here in Lake Country, it does go on all hours. If the officers would sit and hide, or just sit with their windows down, they would hear the offenders. Something needs to be done. I mean, they could even stand outside their doors on Berry Rd. and hear them!!!! And, this business of not having officers in our office here after a certain hour is insane. We have a growing population of idiotic drivers around the area, and, until someone kills themselves, or an innocent person, I guess things won't change.
I am like the person from Rutland, I get tired of calling and asking for a patrol car to come and check. Keep feeling like I am being a nuisance, although officers are very nice. But, as one officer told me, he was the only on, on that day, and he couldn't be two or three places at once. He was as frustrated as we were.
Anyway, hopefully our voted in MPs will put forth a law that will give a few more teeth to bylaws that will help us live in some peace and quiet. I have all the respect in the world for the men and women that do the job that MANY of us couldn't or wouldn't do to keep us safe. But, they can't do it without good backup, and I don't mean giving them the power to abuse that backup. Hey, Ms. Clark, how about it--are you living on super quiet street in Westbank???? Or do you wear ear plugs all the time???

Return to “Central Okanagan”