New Lake Country signs (50,000 budget) artist call

Seeking_Truth

New Lake Country signs (50,000 budget) artist call

Post by Seeking_Truth »

http://www.okanaganway.ca/2014/06/publi ... nce-signs/

and herehttps://lakecountry.civicweb.net/Documents/DocumentDisplay.aspx?ID=38181 is the details where it mentions Processes, budget, etc:
The first part of this entrance sign project is to establish the design. All proposals
received will be renewed, then up to three designs will be short listed. There will
then be a further investigation step, with a final selection made. The selected design
will receive $3,000, and up to two short listed designs will receive $1,000 each.

Consultations with the selected designer will determine if there is an interest in
being involved in the actual construction and selection of the entrance signs.

Budget:
The anticipated budget for the construction and installation of the entrance signs is
$50,000.00.

Timelines:
Submission of Proposal: July 4, 2014
Selection of Design: September 15, 2014
Completion and installation of signs March 2015

The timelines related to the creation and installation of the entrance signs will need
to be somewhat flexible, as the work needs to be coordinated with seasonal
conditions and construction schedule
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: New Lake Country signs (50,000 budget) artist call

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Took them quite a while to come to the realization that the current ones are ugly. With a capital Ug no less.

I just hope they don't give any consideration to the person responsible for the Bennett Bridge "art".
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
NOTYOU
Fledgling

Post by NOTYOU »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Took them quite a while to come to the realization that the current ones are ugly. With a capital Ug no less.

I just hope they don't give any consideration to the person responsible for the Bennett Bridge "art".

I don't have a problem with the current signs...but, I do have a problem with the DLC constantly wasting our tax $$$!!!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I agree with you, and along that line of thought, feel they should have put more effort into it the first go round.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Why are they changing them? The ones in place now have history and are made from local product...
Instead of reinventing the wheel maybe just a rejuvenation of the land the ones that are sitting on now would be $ better spent.

Ok, just read the Calendar and it is a revitalization that is being looked at....

But I fail to see where they get that the signs are not big enough.... not visible enough understand but not big enough?
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

$50,000 is nothing. Baker blows way more than that taking volunteer community groups to the Supreme Court.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

Surely there are better things for Council to spend money upon then the rejuvenation of the stone signs. Spending the money on promoting new business opportunities for the district or even promoting bringing business to Main Street would be better ideas. Those promotions might benefit all of the residents. The sign improvement promotion will only benefit a single artist and that person is unlikely to be a LC resident!
Unfortunately I no longer live in LC or I would be at the next Council meeting to speak on the subject during "speaker time." I sure hope all of you examine your tax statement, which you just received and ask yourself about how well your tax dollars are being spent.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Really does it even need an artist? It needs a landscape artist, yes but an artist artist????
And that is just normal maintenance of a district asset that apparently has been forgotten for a long time, or it is true that as you "speed" along the new highway you miss the sign... and omg you might miss Oyama LOL
Like hello!!! If a tourist wants to stop they hopefully have a map with them (or GPS unit) and can find a place to turn around and go back....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Deeoars
Fledgling

Post by Deeoars »

Oh stop complaining and put your trust and faith in our council after all they came up with Smellmysquash partway didn't they.
Seeking_Truth

Post by Seeking_Truth »

I find it to be a waste of money especially when there are clearly more pressing issues which need addressing (and funds). It's good to bring awareness to each of these 'calls'. Perhaps the city can re-think that 50,000 towards signs and redirect it elsewhere before it's too late - before the sign gets contracted.

When are the elections (out of curiosity)?
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Deeoars wrote:Oh stop complaining and put your trust and faith in our council after all they came up with Smellmysquash partway didn't they.

Disagreeing is not complaining. It is voicing an opposite opinion to the decision that has been made or about to be made.
vistaww

Post by vistaww »

We already have signs, and they're sufficient at this point. Save that 50k and use it towards the multi Government levels of financing that will be required to buy the abandoned rail easement. That is something that will actually bring revenue to town
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

How do you figure it will bring revenue to the town?
When the dinner train was running it is not as if Lake Country embraced the concept, idea or tried to do anything to keep that tourist attraction going....
Now before everyone jumps all over the business that ran the train was at fault .... if you really truly think that any business could operate an attraction anywhere without local support along the way then you would be fooling yourself and only yourself
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

omisimaw wrote:How do you figure it will bring revenue to the town?

A recreational trail would hopefully attract tourists, who would then hopefully spend some of their tourist dollars in Lake Country. Such a trail would also provide locals with another option when deciding how to spend their leisure time.

New signage does neither.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Agree Merry and with the CAO in charge you can bet he knows how to do just what you are looking for and with class! He has done it in other municipalities, the last of which was Williams Lake.

Return to “Central Okanagan”