New Lake Country signs (50,000 budget) artist call

vistaww

Re: New Lake Country signs (50,000 budget) artist call

Post by vistaww »

omisimaw wrote:How do you figure it will bring revenue to the town?

While I'm certainly no business Major, in my opinion a hiking/walking/biking recreational corridor through a beautiful area like Lake Country can only be a bonus to the residents and also attract people from all over, thus bringing more potential residents and tourism spending to town and could perhaps even provide new business opportunities related to the Recreational corridor. Anyone who doesn't believe this just needs to look back 25 years to what the Kettle Valley Railroad was like and then fast forward to today's Kettle Valley Trail. While we don't have the trestles we'll be far more accessible and user friendly.

While this opportunity to purchase might not have come as a complete surprise it also didn't happen with as much notice as some Government/City/District offices typically need to get the required funding or promise of funding in place by the deadlines and so shuffling priorities, if possible, would be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. We can always get signs another time but once the corridor is gone it's gone.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

omisimaw wrote:Agree Merry and with the CAO in charge you can bet he knows how to do just what you are looking for and with class! He has done it in other municipalities, the last of which was Williams Lake.

Williams Lake is one of the most economically depressed cities in BC. That's hardly a glowing endorsement on his resume.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Took them quite a while to come to the realization that the current ones are ugly. With a capital Ug no less.

I just hope they don't give any consideration to the person responsible for the Bennett Bridge "art".

Could use the spy-ro-graph and draw a acorn.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I, personally, love the Lake Country sign. I don't think we need to waste $50,000 on a new one. When I have gone away, I LOVE seeing the Welcome to Lake Country sign. I find it easy to see and again, I love the sign. I have only lived here 4 years, but it is home and I am very proud to say so. I do agree the money could be better spent to bring some new life to Main Street, with some new business. It is sad to see how quickly Main Street has almost suffocated. We do need to encourage some life brought to Main Street and leave the Lake Country sign alone. I find it unique and beautiful, AND ALREADY PAID FOR.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

^^ I noticed today that there are some new Development Proposal signs in a couple of locations along Main Street.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
chmc

Post by chmc »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:^^ I noticed today that there are some new Development Proposal signs in a couple of locations along Main Street.

I heard the Farmer's Market is moving to one of the vacant lots adjacent to the highway...if that is true...why not look at having a local Flea Market there as well...the one at Tim Horton's yesterday was a bust.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

I really like the idea of the Farmer's Market being more accessible. I only use the bus, most of the time, and, often can't get to where it is now. It was much easier when it was in Swalwell Park. If it were in one of the vacant lots along the highway, I am sure they would get much more business. Also, love the idea of the Flea Market. Even if it were in the IGA parking lot, it would have lots of people coming right into Lake Country and seeing the uniqueness of our beautiful little town and for sure, they would do some shopping. Again, we don't need $50,000 spent on new signs. We need to have things that encourage people to stop and shop and enjoy.
nicdoug

Post by nicdoug »

z
Last edited by nicdoug on Jul 27th, 2014, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
hashtag

Post by hashtag »

I don't have a problem with the current signs...but, I do have a problem with the DLC constantly wasting our tax $$$!!![/quote]

I agree Notyou. No more wasting money.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

You know, I was thinking. If they (DLC) don't like the signs, why not just make "Lake Country Welcomes You" stand out a bit more. I mean, I have NO problem seeing the signs, but, apparently some of the DLC members do. The signs are very prominent and IF they want them to stand out more, FIX that, NOT $50,000 for new signs. Better use of the money?? How about more sidewalks especially along Woodsdale. We have a lot of people walking that road, residents and visitors. How about fixing the bad curve on Woodsdale leading up to the highway?? Maybe they will fix that, or at least post a sign about the severe curve AFTER on of the speeding vehicles goes on to one of the campers parked there. How about NOT cutting down all the beautiful trees along the parking lot at Beasley Park?? ONLY to be planting new trees?? How about a Bus Shelter on Woodsdale and Bottom Wd. Lk. Rd., where so many people have to wait for the bus with NO shelter?? How about better signs pointing to "downtown" Winfield?? Sooooo many more uses for the $50,000 to be spent than on New Signs.
I guess with sooooo much surplus in their coffers, people's taxes will be going down, eh?? They must have extra money and finding ways to spend it must be really hard for them. Hopefully, they will give this a thumbs down and trash the idea of spending so much on new signage.

Return to “Central Okanagan”