Beasley/Reiswig parks: Dogs or no dogs?

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Beasley/Reiswig parks: Dogs or no dogs?

Post by Rwede »

Oxl3y wrote:Why appease the dog haters, the snobs, the killjoys, the angry at the world old timers? It just makes the whole area seem hateful.

It seems we legislate to the lowest common denominator. Politicians love this - when everything is illegal, no one can blame them for anything.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Whats the matter Bruce Smith cat got your tongue?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

LTD wrote:Whats the matter Bruce Smith cat got your tongue?

What are you expecting out of the guy? He's the communications officer, he doesn't set policy. We already know the rules it seems.

The best thing for him to do is send out factional information. There is nothing to be gained by responding to complaints here. If we keep badgering him and it turns into a scene whenever he posts, he won't even reply with that factual information anymore.

For the record: I do think it's a little over the top to require a leash for everywhere outside of private property. Should be allowed on crown land for dogs with no history of problems.
Bruce Smith

Post by Bruce Smith »

Sorry, we've been a little busy at the Emergency Operation Centre dealing with the Boucherie and Smith Creek Fires.

All Central Okanagan areas receive 24-7-365 Emergency callout from Regional Dog Control for serious attacks/incidents. The revenues from the sale of dog licenses helps to reduce the impact on the tax requisition for the operation of Regional Dog Control from general tax payers across the region. The municipality (as is the case with the other local license sales locations) receives a commission on the sale of licenses sold by the District of Lake Country.

From January through the end of June, Dog Control has responded to and investigated 94 complaints from the District of Lake Country. That's 8% of the total number of complaints received in the region. As well, 8% of the dogs that have been impounded at the Regional Dog Pound on Weddell Place are from Lake Country.

In addition to our Regional Dog Control Officers patrols in the municipality, our Regional Parks staff also advise people about dog access to parks and the regulations around it to help them understand what's expected of them. Our Dog Ambassador students are visiting Lake Country parks and high traffic pedestrian areas at least once a week throughout this summer to provide dog owners with information and reward them for leashing, licensing and picking up after their pets, while at the same time educating those that aren't so they understand how to comply with the Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw. These students are not writing tickets or enforcing the bylaw. Rather, they're an information resource for dog owners.

Finally, Lake Country's financial contribution to the Regional Dog Control Service provides a share of the $67,000 the Regional District program contributes each year to the local branch of the SPCA for its spay/neuter and education programs and dog adoption service that it provides.

http://www.regionaldistrict.com/services/inspection-section/dog-control/faq.aspx#1

Cheers
Bruce Smith
RDCO Communications
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

So you are sending out sacrificial lambs in hopes that people have a "Don't kill the messenger" attitude? You are pretty much setting them up to receive verbal abuse.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jul 22nd, 2014, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: BS post removed
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Don't extend your dog's leash to more than 2 meters when he smells something good, as Bruce Smith's henchmen will write you a ticket. That's what you get for your $67,000 contribution.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

I realize that there are other costs but it works out to $712 per call in Lake Country. This is a service that should be contracted out, probably saving the taxpayers a fortune.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

$712 for the Dog Control Thugs who respond to a call from Granny, "The neighbour's chihuahua barked at my cat."

Sounds like the redundant RDCO bureaucracy is staying fat at taxpayers' expense once again...
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

"All Central Okanagan areas receive 24-7-365 Emergency callout from Regional Dog Control for serious attacks/incidents. The revenues from the sale of dog licenses helps to reduce the impact on the tax requisition for the operation of Regional Dog Control from general tax payers across the region. The municipality (as is the case with the other local license sales locations) receives a commission on the sale of licenses sold by the District of Lake Country."
I have to disagree with this statement. We had a situation on Woodsdale last Summer, and the only help we could get, was from a police officer. The dog was running loose, scared to death, almost got hit a few times and, when I called animal control, they couldn't and wouldn't come out, until Monday morning, I believe it was. So, I called the police, as the dog was so scared and wouldn't let anyone near it. Anyway, the officer came and went to see if he could maybe help it. I offered him some doggie treats for the dog and he smiled and said he had some. NO ONE FROM ANIMAL CONTROL WOULD COME OUT UNLESS THE DOG HAD BEEN HIT OR HAD BITTEN SOMEONE!!!!! That was the thing, we didn't want the dog to be hit, and no one but the officer would try and help us. I heard later the dog finally ended up back home, but, he almost didn't, no thanks to Animal Control here.
As for dogs allowed to swim in the Lake?? Most people use the access at the bottom of Btm. Wd. Lake Rd. to let their dogs swim. Even when they had the signs up that was a high bacteria count in the water, posted in the small park off of Clement Rd. and the big Beasley Park, people were letting their dogs swim at the end of Bottom Wood Lk. Rd. When I said to one lady that there was a high bacteria count, her reply was, "Well, it is a dog." Guess she thought her dog wouldn't, or couldn't, get sick. I was shocked, but never said anything else.
As for doggie doo doo. We that live in the area, find there are very few people who don't pick up after their dog. What we find is, when it snows, SOME people let their dogs do their business, and then the owners cover it with snow. Duhhh!! It is still there and the snow won't make it go away. And, when the snow goes, guess what shows up??? Or, a dog does it's business walking along the sidewalk, and the owner doesn't even clean it up off the sidewalk!! If you have a dog, be responsible ALL the time--clean up after it!! Not just when someone is watching you. We love animals. It is the irresponsible dog owner we have a serious problem with!! Everyone loves to visit us here as it is very clean. We want to keep it that way.
We do thank the responsible animal owners. They are awesome and we appreciate them and their cute animals.
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.

Return to “Central Okanagan”