Beasley/Reiswig parks: Dogs or no dogs?

wendychristie52

Beasley/Reiswig parks: Dogs or no dogs?

Post by wendychristie52 »

I am confused-I keep hearing and have read the signs that dogs are not allowed at Reiswig-yet have seen people have their dogs-on leashes-there-the police have showed up, walked right by and have not said a word. (Meanwhile, I have kindly said to the people with the dog that they need to be careful because dogs are not allowed and there is a hefty fine if you are caught.) Now I feel like an idiot.

So who exactly is in charge of putting/keeping these rules in place? I have two dogs who would love to come to the beach-I am a responsible dog owner-and it is those who are not responsible who have ruined it for us and our beloved fur family members who just want to enjoy the beach together.
W.C.
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Beasley/Reiswig parks-dogs or no dogs?

Post by Not Bob »

The police don't care about dogs, it's the regional district nazies aninaml control and and bylaw officers for lake country who have nothing better to do so they hassle dog owners.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
Bruce Smith

Post by Bruce Smith »

Hi Bruce Smith from the Regional District.

Thanks for your inquiry about dogs at Reiswig Regional Park. Since this is a waterfront-beach park, dogs are not allowed within Reiswig http://www.regionaldistrict.com/services/parks-services/regional-parks/reiswig-regional-park.aspx.

The same holds for Kaloya Regional Park and Kopje Regional Park.

We do have many other Regional Parks that allow dogs on leash on trails and pathways http://www.regionaldistrict.com/services/parks-services/regional-parks/dog-parks-list.aspx. You'll also find links to each municipality's dog parks and parks that allow dogs to swim. The Regional District offers a dog swimming area in Kalamoir Regional Park in West Kelowna.

For a full listing and links to all our Regional Parks please visit http://www.regionaldistrict.com/pickapark.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Hello Bruce,

What measures are the Regional District taking to ensure that the guidelines set forth are being observed appropriately?

In every park I frequent within the RDCO, I encounter dogs off-leash in both on-leash areas, and areas where dogs are not permitted. Enforcement appears to be nil, and by mid-July, a number of our parks smell like dog feces.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Beasley/Reiswig parks: Dogs or no dogs?

Post by LTD »

so in a nut shell what bruce is telling you is that you cant take your dog anywhere in lake country to swim you have to drive to Kelowna or west Kelowna sounds about right the regional disgrace at its finest
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I have lived in a lot of places in BC, and have never seen a place as un-dog-friendly as the Central Okanagan. Kelowna in particular.

Too many whiners with nothing else to do than to stick their noses in other peoples business. And too many douchbag and/or irresponsible dog owners.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LTD wrote:so in a nut shell what bruce is telling you is that you cant take your dog anywhere in lake country to swim you have to drive to Kelowna or west Kelowna sounds about right the regional disgrace at its finest

There's all those pullouts along Pimple Wash Parkway I'd be looking at.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ The mayor will probably take you to the Supreme Court if he catches you letting your dog swim along Buttpimple Parkway.

Gotta keep DLC as sterile as possible, ya know...
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Rwede wrote:^^^ The mayor will probably take you to the Supreme Court if he catches you letting your dog swim along Buttpimple Parkway.

Gotta keep DLC as sterile as possible, ya know...

They'd best get started by fumigating the district offices first. They appear to be infested by pests.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Ah the Okanagan where dogs are one of the most hated pets around. Thank god I live in a city that embraces dog ownership instead of condemning it.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Good lord.

There are many many places you can legally take your dog. Any crown land for example. There are dozens of beach accesses in Lake Country you could take them to. You guys act like the only suitable place to bring your dog is a beachfront park.
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

Tyler can you let us know which of those beach accesses you can take your dog to, under the draconian laws of the rdco you must have your dog on a leash any time the dog is out of your yard.

If Bruce Smith is still reading, can you us what Lake Country is getting for the 60k+ a year it gives to the Regional District for Animal control?
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Leash laws are another topic and I must be honest, I don't know what they are. People generally expect dogs to be leashed in busy public places - don't think anyone is going to care if your dog is off leash at most of the non-park beach accesses.

As far as beach access: As mentioned already, there are lots of spots along pelmewash parkway. There are also a good 10-20 spots in Okanagan center where you can just pull to the side of the road and walk down to the beach. Another area that comes to mind is some of the pull-outs along HWY97 beside duck lake.
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

Thanks for the answer Tyler but by doing do you would be breaking the law. Dogs aren't allowed off leash anywhere except your own property or the few dog parks. I agree most people will never care, but the RDCO does.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

DocHolidey wrote:Thanks for the answer Tyler but by doing do you would be breaking the law. Dogs aren't allowed off leash anywhere except your own property or the few dog parks. I agree most people will never care, but the RDCO does.

Exactly. Most people I used to meet out walking my dog off leash were very nice, were happy to see my dog or walking dogs off leash themselves. Then you'd run into some grumpy old codger who complains then reports you and you get a ticket. So why do the grumpy old codgers get to make the rules in this area?

Why appease the dog haters, the snobs, the killjoys, the angry at the world old timers? It just makes the whole area seem hateful.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed

Return to “Central Okanagan”