Grasshoppers Invading

curtis a

Grasshoppers Invading

Post by curtis a »

Anyone else in the Lake Country area having a grasshopper infestation this year? We are up on sunburn hill and our road and lawn are covered in these things by the hundreds, we have never had this up here before. Anyone have any tips on getting rid of these things before our lawn and garden is gone???
Tootsie
Board Meister

Re: Grasshoppers Invading

Post by Tootsie »

Yes we've noticed that as well. Lots of grasshoppers this year. Not just in Lake Country but noticed a bunch of them on the side of my office building in Kelowna today as well. We have a healthy population of crows in OK Centre & they've been doing an awesome job of feeding on the grasshoppers. To the point that we hardly have any anymore.
I know a lot of people don't like crows but we don't mind them & find them quite amusing. They're one of the smartest birds there is (one of the few birds that can recognize & remember facial features & if you're mean to them they remember & will get their buddies to join in & harass & dive bomb you !).
So be nice to crows. They eats lots of bugs !
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

We have a nest in the tree outside our home. This is the third generation and there has been less screeching at us when the fledgling was learning to fly than in past years. They were fighting with the magpies for a while. I notice no more magpies around. No grasshoppers either.

But that's at home.

I too work DT, and I think the construction has kept both pigeons and crows away during the workday; we too have more grasshoppers.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

A praying mantis flew into our house tonight. Cool to see, and I hope she had a bellyfull of cricket!

Return to “Central Okanagan”