Bylaw Infraction Enforcement

RVThereYet
Übergod

Bylaw Infraction Enforcement

Post by RVThereYet »

I found myself in the unfortunate situation of getting a DLC bylaw parking ticket the other day. Just FYI - I parked my car half way off the road (as to allow for better passing of traffic) with the other half partially on the sidewalk - but not blocking it entirely with plenty of room to walk past without having to walk on the road. I found a DLC bylaw ticket on my car when I returned. Its a $50 penalty, reduced to $40 if paid within 14 days or $75 thereafter... any of which I think are outrageous (cash grab).

Does anyone know exactly how DLC would enforce these fines if left unpaid?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Bylaw Infraction Enforcement

Post by kgcayenne »

WHAT.

You clearly state that you parked partially on the sidewalk, and now you ask how the District might enforce payment of the fine?

Really? Does this mean you are testing the waters to make a calculated decision in avoidance of paying the fine you earned?

I made the personal decision to dismiss your complaint after learning you feel justified in parking on a sidewalk. Thinking it is acceptable because it's only 'partially' is like saying a woman is partially pregnant---get with the program, you either weren't or were on the sidewalk.

Where's the sh*t Parker's of Kelowna shutterbug when he's really needed?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

RVThereYet wrote: Just FYI - I parked my car half way off the road (as to allow for better passing of traffic) with the other half partially on the sidewalk - but not blocking it entirely with plenty of room to walk past without having to walk on the road.

So you knowingly parked illegally and now want to know if you can not bother to pay the fine.

Sorry but suck it up and pay the fine.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Yes, I parked partially blocking the sidewalk and I made sure there was a lot of room left to walk past it. The area were this incident took place is not frequented by walkers and I highly doubt that in the short time I was parked here there would have been even one person that would have walked past. Car traffic on the on the other hand is heavy in this area, and I thought I was doing the right thing by leaving more room for vehicles to drive past by partially parking my vehicle off the road - there were parked vehicles on both sides of the road making it challenging to get past parked cars especially if there was oncoming traffic. But why am I "justifying" my parking to you?

Yes, I "broke" the law, me bad, but still I think $40, $50/$75 is outrageous.

And to be clear, I did not say I was not going to pay the fine, I simply asked how they would enforce it if left unpaid, you both ^^ are jumping to your own conclusions.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Well, your inability to acknowledge and respect Bylaws and others followed by such a question....

...if you have to ask, you'll never know.

The term culpably obtuse comes to mind.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

It is never okay to park on or partially on the sidewalk.

End of story.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

they can enforce it and take you to court in certain circumstances.
they can put it against your taxes if you are a resident
they can put it in the hands of the collection folks
or
simply write off if you complain and make a compelling case ie: where, when, why in this case.

your rights will be written on the ticket..... pricing is funny cause when is it $50? If it is $40 if paid in 14 days and $75 thereafter it would appear $50 does not even enter into the calculation....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

Does it say how to challenge the ticket? If so go for it you can always pay the extra few bucks if you lose.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

A big thanks to Taxi Fare and DocHolidey for actually answering my question and not just berating me for what I did like some others here that like to jump to conclusions and attack a question regardless of the reason for asking. I appreciate your input.

To answer the $50 question, it says on the ticket the penalty is $50, but "reduced" to $40 if paid within 14 days, $75 if left unpaid after 28 days, so I guess the $50 comes in from days 15-28.
Last edited by RVThereYet on Aug 2nd, 2014, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

If you were forced to park on the sidewalk is it because probably felt unsafe with the amount of room available, you have a valid safety concern and I would fight this.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

I'd fight for the principle of the issue. If you were there for a specific or short time then a warning maybe but come on it is this time of year when the RV's are being brought out! So you are inconvenienced for a bit, cheesh.....

Welcome to the inviting community of Lake Country.... home to ????
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

The mayor did build a 8 million dollar parking lot, i think it is called main street.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Pay it don't pay it or fight it, its all your choice.

I have curious question: When you said you had left plenty of room to pass did that include room for power wheelchair and/or scooter.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

It's illegal to park on a sidewalk. For the life of me I can't understand people who break the law and then don't think they deserve a ticket, just a warning.

I guess this comes from parents nagging and cajoling kids instead of black and while rules. When they grow up they figures if they only break the rules a little bit it should result in a warning.

If you were a tourist, busy traffic, sun in your eyes, lost, wife with a map out and you turned down a one way street the wrong way, maybe a warning. Obviously you wouldn't intend on driving down a one way street the wrong way.

Intentionally parking on a sidewalk ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

GordonH wrote:Pay it don't pay it or fight it, its all your choice.

I have curious question: When you said you had left plenty of room to pass did that include room for power wheelchair and/or scooter.

It was a little more than the width of my tires that were on the sidewalk... enough room for a wheel chair for sure or a double wide stroller to get past no problem.

Return to “Central Okanagan”