Bylaw Infraction Enforcement

RVThereYet
Übergod

Re: Bylaw Infraction Enforcement

Post by RVThereYet »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Aug 3rd, 2014, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You thought Castanet forum members would all be like minded, did you?

If you are not able to safely park a vehicle without encroaching on the sidewalk, then you should take that as an indication that it is not an appropriate location to park.

I know, I know, it's inconvenient:
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Aug 3rd, 2014, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

DocHolidey wrote:If you were forced to park on the sidewalk is it because probably felt unsafe with the amount of room available, you have a valid safety concern and I would fight this.

Or......go park somewhere else where it is safer without having to park on the sidewalk.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

And really, if all you wanted to know was whether or not the DLC has the ability to collect on it's bylaw tickets, then that's all you should have asked.

As soon as you got into the details of how you came to be issued a bylaw ticket, you opened the barn door. Now the horse is out. Nothing you can do about that now, so you might as well get over it and take your licks.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Aug 3rd, 2014, 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

RVThereYet wrote:or I could just delete this post, ha!

Too bad one can't just delete bad parking habits as easy as deleting a topic about getting a ticket resulted from those habits.

Oh well.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol when i worked for the city of kelowna we were told to park on sidewalks lol
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

There you go: if you get a job with the City, you can park on the sidewalk in the City vehicle on City business. I bet there are even orange cones included with the City vehicle. Ohhhhhh aaahhhhhh
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

RVThereYet wrote:Yes, I "broke" the law, me bad, but still I think $40, $50/$75 is outrageous.

How much compliance with rules do you think there would be if the fine was $5?
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

kgcayenne wrote:There you go: if you get a job with the City, you can park on the sidewalk in the City vehicle on City business. I bet there are even orange cones included with the City vehicle. Ohhhhhh aaahhhhhh

There you go: You should apply (at the city), sounds fun using ORANGE CONES for parking... in a city vehicle, on city business . Ohhhhhh aaahhhhhh
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Well, knowing full well that laws are broken every day of the year all over the world, and taking into consideration the actual law broken, I too believe the fine is way over the slap (statement) the District is making.
Illegal parking.... NO, never happens LOL.... if anything it is one of the "laws" that a ton of "Law Abiding" individuals do all the time, well that and going over the posted speed, that ranks up there as well... mind they stay in the right lane doing well over the posted speed so technically they feel they are in the right "going with the flow" so to speak.
Park on a sidewalk in Kelowna and it is $30
Park improperly in Vernon and it is $25 but if you pay within 24 hours it is $10

So no one has asked why you found it necessary to park the way you did, and as I personally think it is a silly matter that should have been handled by way of a warning ticket the first time round (if even that!)... it would be nice to hear the rest of your story.

Really laughing at all the "you broke the law" comments..... pious bunch on here really .... LOL it is a municipal bylaw and quite frankly so minor that the District would suffer the loss before they would ever take "LEGAL" action.... mind rack up a couple of hundred bucks worth and have an ongoing battle with the mighty 1 bylaw enforcer and they would get ugly in a heartbeat.

And remember you can't herd your animals down the sidewalk in Kelowna either and you don't want to let a meter run out of time or you will also be breaking the law..... :) bylaws are actually good for a laugh if you really research some of the nonsense out there..... petty brain dead money grabs most of them.

And next time you complain about a neighbour with an unsightly premise or yard... remind them the neigbour is breaking THE LAW and should be dealt with like the criminal they are.....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

omisimaw wrote:Well, knowing full well that laws are broken every day of the year all over the world, and taking into consideration the actual law broken, I too believe the fine is way over the slap (statement) the District is making.
Illegal parking.... NO, never happens LOL.... if anything it is one of the "laws" that a ton of "Law Abiding" individuals do all the time, well that and going over the posted speed, that ranks up there as well... mind they stay in the right lane doing well over the posted speed so technically they feel they are in the right "going with the flow" so to speak.
Park on a sidewalk in Kelowna and it is $30
Park improperly in Vernon and it is $25 but if you pay within 24 hours it is $10

So no one has asked why you found it necessary to park the way you did, and as I personally think it is a silly matter that should have been handled by way of a warning ticket the first time round (if even that!)... it would be nice to hear the rest of your story.

Really laughing at all the "you broke the law" comments..... pious bunch on here really .... LOL it is a municipal bylaw and quite frankly so minor that the District would suffer the loss before they would ever take "LEGAL" action.... mind rack up a couple of hundred bucks worth and have an ongoing battle with the mighty 1 bylaw enforcer and they would get ugly in a heartbeat.

And remember you can't herd your animals down the sidewalk in Kelowna either and you don't want to let a meter run out of time or you will also be breaking the law..... :) bylaws are actually good for a laugh if you really research some of the nonsense out there..... petty brain dead money grabs most of them.

And next time you complain about a neighbour with an unsightly premise or yard... remind them the neigbour is breaking THE LAW and should be dealt with like the criminal they are.....

Thanks for your support omisimaw! I too thought is was a little over the top to get a ticket right off the bat (I do not have any other outstanding tickets with the DLC nor have I ever received one before) - so a warning would have been nice.

The rest of the story goes like this... The road I was on had quite a few vehicles parked on both sides of the road making it tight for larger vehicles such as trucks to pass by. I parked approx. 1/2 on 1/2 off the road thinking I was doing the right thing by allowing more room for traffic to pass through the area. It was on a Friday, pretty late in the evening, and walking traffic in that area would have been minimal at best. Besides, there was plenty of room for anyone to get past, even in a wheelchair or pushing a stroller etc.

Is that a $40 - $75 (depending on when/if you pay it) offense, I don't think so...

And to those that feel the urge to go on with their ""holier than thou" comments about "how I broke the law, and now have to face the music" blah-blah-blah, give it a rest please...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

More to the point why did you need to park there in the first place and would you have still got the ticket if you weren't half on the sidewalk?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Bsuds wrote:More to the point why did you need to park there in the first place and would you have still got the ticket if you weren't half on the sidewalk?

I was visiting at the house across the street, and no, it wasn't in a otherwise restricted parking zone
Last edited by RVThereYet on Aug 5th, 2014, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Central Okanagan”