Third access to Kelowna needed?

arbonne

Third access to Kelowna needed?

Post by arbonne »

I know I'm dreaming but what if there was another road built on the opposite side of Duck Lake to meet up will Old Vernon Road or Ellison? Would it help take some of the pressure off Highway. Very saddened by so many accidents and my thoughts go out to all involved in the many horrific accidents of late throughout the Okanagan.
mwalsh

Re: 3rd access to Kelowna needed?

Post by mwalsh »

arbonne wrote:I know I'm dreaming but what if there was another road built on the opposite side of Duck Lake to meet up will Old Vernon Road or Ellison? Would it help take some of the pressure off Highway. Very saddened by so many accidents and my thoughts go out to all involved in the many horrific accidents of late throughout the Okanagan.

I think upgrading Glenmore road between Winfield and Kelowna would be a better solution. That road was never build for the traffic it receives now, plus with the numerous closures of highway 97 due to accidents makes it an obsolete detour. Perhaps upgrade and 4 lane Glenmore?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glenmore is a useless detour for northbound traffic - you'd need to have to backtrack halfway through Kelowna to get there. It would be quicker to wait it out. The lack of detour viable detour routes, turn around points and the general lack of interest to get traffic moving - things are only going to get worse as traffic grows
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You can access Glenmore from Sexsmith which is hardly halfway into Kelowna. Maybe improve that access and widen Glenmore would help.

Even better (while we're putting in a wish list) get people to pay attention the the Road.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Accessing Glenmore Road as a bypass isn't the problem. The issue is that from where most of the detour traffic enters Glenmore Road it's only single lane, then once all that volume reaches the light at Beaver Lake Road in Winfield it practically comes to a stop as the light can't handle that much volume.

I was just discussing that with a friend two days ago, and from what he told me, there has been a plan to merge Glenmore Road onto Hwy 97 via an overpass, which would allow traffic to come onto either Hwy 97 or Main Street, for some time now, and property has even been purchased to make it happen.

It's simply a matter of getting the powers that be to actually see the existing dire need for this improvement and get on with it.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:You can access Glenmore from Sexsmith

I did not know that - thought you had to go all the way to Spall. Thanks
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
mwalsh

Post by mwalsh »

Dizzy1 wrote:Glenmore is a useless detour for northbound traffic - you'd need to have to backtrack halfway through Kelowna to get there. It would be quicker to wait it out. The lack of detour viable detour routes, turn around points and the general lack of interest to get traffic moving - things are only going to get worse as traffic grows

You can access Glenmore road via Sexsmith quite quickly. Furthermore, the planed through road from UBCO to Glenmore by the dump would add another crossing point for a detour (provided the road is upgraded and widened as it's fails miserably at moving traffic in it's current state).
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

No doubt a third access would help a bit but IMO it is not the roads that are causing any of the accidents. The drivers can take exclusive credit for the carnage that is taking place; primarily speed, cell phones and alcohol/drugs. A general caption that would capture all three would be driver irresponsibility, which some translate as driver stupidity.
tiredofthebitching

Post by tiredofthebitching »

arbonne wrote:I know I'm dreaming but what if there was another road built on the opposite side of Duck Lake to meet up will Old Vernon Road or Ellison? Would it help take some of the pressure off Highway. Very saddened by so many accidents and my thoughts go out to all involved in the many horrific accidents of late throughout the Okanagan.

The property on the opposite of Duck Lake has already been purchased for a 4 lane rd. There is even an existing dirt road already. The City of Kelowna purchased the properties to make the 4 lane rd. when the city was in negotiations to move Western Star out to the industrial park by Hiram Walker. Old Vernon Rd was to be upgraded and a bypass to the Hwy was to be created.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Or, they could simply put barriers down the centre median to eliminate almost all of the collisions that cause these kinds of road closures.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

KL3-Something wrote:Or, they could simply put barriers down the centre median to eliminate almost all of the collisions that cause these kinds of road closures.

I've wondered why the resistance to this seemingly cost effective solution?
Am I missing something? Aesthetics maybe?
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Ask your MLA, they take care of the highway. Probably to busy though, spent a grand total of 42 days sitting in Victoria this year.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

As long as drivers continue to act like testosterone crazed deer in rutting season, road dividers will help but not eliminate the serious accidents that call for a second, third and even fourth access to the city.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

As long as drivers continue to act like testosterone crazed deer in rutting season, road dividers will help but not eliminate the serious accidents that call for a second, third and even fourth access to the city.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

rookie314 wrote:Ask your MLA, they take care of the highway. Probably to busy though, spent a grand total of 42 days sitting in Victoria this year.

Can't ask your MLA anything when he's sitting in Victoria. Much better when he's working here in the riding so that we can set up meetings with him.

I'd like to see a concrete meridian from the airport to Winfield. It's far more cost effective than simply putting more cars on other roads. Glenmore upgrades would be good too, just to handle the traffic that's already there.

The land on the east side of Duck Lake is not owned by the province, it's part of El Dorado Ranch. There will not be any roads built there for many, many years, if ever.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Central Okanagan”