Third access to Kelowna needed?

jasond_71
Board Meister

Re: Third access to Kelowna needed?

Post by jasond_71 »

Yes they have already started to put dividers up from lake country to Vernon. However, the last two head on collision deaths occurred on the stretch from Lake country to the airport.

It makes no sense to me that they don't put up a divider for this stretch as well. It is a lot shorter than the section to Vernon.

I agree that they should crack down on distracted driving but why not put up a barrier if it will prevent an innocent death?

Glenmore is not an alternate route when they shut down the highway. When the last accident shut down 97 it took over two hours to travel from the dump to lake country. It was a virtual parking lot. It would have been quicker to head over the bridge and take Westside road back through Vernon.

If they four laned it and put an overhead exit, maybe.

Once they put the barrier all the way to Vernon, there will be no way to turn around so if you get stuck behind an accident you will be waiting a long time.

Twice vehicles lit on fire on the new part of the highway and all the traffic stopped for over an hour. Total parking lot and no way to turn around. Not sure what the solution is?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

There is no such thing as making roads accident proof or fatal accident proof. There is no reason, except for human stupidity, for anyone to have an accident between Kelowna and Vernon. None whatsoever.

If everyone obeyed our traffic safety guidelines there would be no accidents on that stretch of completely safe road or almost any other similar stretch of road in the province.

Selfishness, greed, irresponsibility and ego can not be compensated for by road design.
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Post by LivinginKelowna »

One solution that everyone seems to skip over to reduce the number of accidents is to reduce the number of people on the road.

How about living near where you work??

You want to work in Kelowna, live in Kelowna. Then the balance of the population wouldn't have to pay for extra lanes over bridges for those who choose to commute everyday. Or justify extra entrance/exits into Kelowna because of the increased traffic because individuals want to live 30, 40 or 60 minutes from where they work, ie Vernon, Penticton, Summerland etc

You would greatly decrease tired, distracted driving if you only had an 8 - 10 minute commute.

just my 2Cents, and probably not worth even that
arbonne

Post by arbonne »

Yes living were you work is awesome (if your lucky enough). I Live in Lake Country and work in Lake Country. I do however need to travel to Kelowna for many reasons. When accidents happen that close roadways, it sucks for all concerned.

Return to “Central Okanagan”