New Highway Retail Shopping Centre - Lake Country BC

sunsmiles

Re: New Highway Retail Shopping Centre - Lake Country BC

Post by sunsmiles »

I have always found it interesting that persons move to an area of smaller population and less chaos only to long for the very same surroundings they left. I have never considered the District of Lake Country to be in a state of stagnation. Years from now when DLC is just another Kelowna this thread will be about how priceless and special our area once was. Writers will wonder how we lost our beauty, country charm and rural Norman Rockwell character. Heavy sigh....I must take more pictures.
Deeoars
Fledgling

Post by Deeoars »

I so agree with Sunsmiles.Well put.Were you here before the highway was widened?I wish I had taken more pictures.
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

The Chinese restaurant in Lakewood mall was called the Shangri-la, opened in November 1979.
And there was a European cafe inside the mall, great sandwiches!!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Myrna wrote:The Chinese restaurant in Lakewood mall was called the Shangri-la, opened in November 1979.
And there was a European cafe inside the mall, great sandwiches!!

Yes! That was the name.....then it changed to Po Wivah (pearl river) sometime after.
It used to be a bustling mall with the Super Valu, liquor store, Tastee Freez, bowling alley with the Pinsetter Lounge (only place you could get a drink on a Sunday for a while).

And someone earlier said there has been no stagnation? Haha. That's a rich one. Yearning for yesteryear, in this case, means yearning for a more prosperous community with better amenities.

Although I guess it's not so much stagnation as regression. Thanks, Bob The Mayor and Randy The Administrator......the NonDynamic Duo of newly incorporated Lake Country!

But, maybe Randy has changed and he will be an excellent councillor.

I've also been waiting for that show on the National Geographic channel on the leopard that changed its spots. Haven't seen an air time for it yet?
You and 71 others Like this post
jm32

Post by jm32 »

I've recently heard that a Boston Pizza will supposedly be coming to that new mall across from Lakewood. Also, I think it's high time for a 3rd grocery store in Winfield. Back when Cooper's was coming in, there wasn't enough population base to justify keeping Supervalu/Buy N' Save Foods. Today, you've got The Lakes, so that's a couple of thousand people who I'm sure would appreciate a solid grocery store at their end of town.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

jm32 wrote:I've recently heard that a Boston Pizza will supposedly be coming to that new mall across from Lakewood. Also, I think it's high time for a 3rd grocery store in Winfield. Back when Cooper's was coming in, there wasn't enough population base to justify keeping Supervalu/Buy N' Save Foods. Today, you've got The Lakes, so that's a couple of thousand people who I'm sure would appreciate a solid grocery store at their end of town.

Heard the same rumor about a BP. I've learnt to wait until I see the sign before getting my hopes too high.
jm32

Post by jm32 »

Now, a few days ago I learned the group behind the proposed new centre has gone bankrupt. So much for Boston Pizza in Lake Country, I guess at least for a while.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

jm32 wrote:Now, a few days ago I learned the group behind the proposed new centre has gone bankrupt. So much for Boston Pizza in Lake Country, I guess at least for a while.

Score another for "Waiting until I see the sign".

Too bad tho - I think a restaurant like this would be a successful addition to Lake Country. Something family friendly, mainstream, and reasonably inexpensive.
Myrna

Post by Myrna »

A new company is taking over turtle crossing, it hasn't been sold yet, however new developer has come on board to ensure an acquisition happens that is favorable for new money investors. There will be two drive thru's instead of four, as first proposed. Thus floor space of buildings will increase, and fast food outlets with drive thru, decreases.
cherip

Post by cherip »

Before it was Willies Pizza it was Peters Paper Palace (fast food for famished families)

Return to “Central Okanagan”