New Highway Retail Shopping Centre - Lake Country BC

Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Re: New Highway Retail Shopping Centre - Lake Country BC

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

nle wrote:I'm amazed that you would say that about our stores we are not even close to being big enough to have a "larger" store I like the fact that they don't sell underwear lol and since the "city" is a mere 15-20 minutes drive for as often as one would need to purchase "underwear" once or twice a year maybe I cant see it being a issue. I like that the stores are small enough that most of the staff know me by name I've lived here for 45 years and I've never thought we needed a larger grocery store ...I also would rather see something totally different than what we already have here , which would also put a LOT of local people out of work ...when in reality people who live in bigger cities actually drive a lot longer than 15-20 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic to get to a "bigger" store ... and for a store to carry clothes out here unless it was a superstore which wont happen for a longgggggg time they would have to up their prices to make up for the lack of bulk they wont be able to buy ...off to walmart you go lol

First let me start by saying this is not 45 years ago, when yes the IGA and Coppers would have been sufficient. But this is the here and now, and these small grocery stores quite simply do not provide the selection that the growing population here requires.

Where did you get the idea that I would want to shop at Superstore? Never even mentioned that one. I do not want clothing of any kind in any grocery store I shop at.

Coppers would be better off If it was developed into a full size Save-On Foods or even a Price Smart Foods. This alone would employ far more people than the currant Coppers does.

lastly I do not shop at Walmart as I prefer to shop Canadian. Like it or not Lake Country is growing ,I hope for the better.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

I would love to see a variety of stores on main street, before mayor Baker and Co. approve new malls that will likely fail.

It is time to get rid of the useless crew running the DLC.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Deeoars wrote:Does anyone remember the restaurant that was where Tim Hoartons stands about 35 or more years ago
It was a burger joint and had great soft ice cream cones, used to stop for coffee when I was plowing snow with my buddy Cliffy B. I believe it was a Hannigans??
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

That's a bit before my time but I thought Timmie's was built on mall parking lot space. so something else stood there before it was a parking lot?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

Wow....the whole "socks and underwear" comment was just to prove a point (albeit a small one) If everyone in Winfield was perfectly happy with the current shopping situation, then why do we have the whole main street "thing"? And a proposal for another whole mall? How many more banks and fast food restaurants are needed? I understand that K-town shopping is only 15-20 mins away, but would rather have done ALL my shopping in the community I live in. Sundowner Meats is good, ( I miss Les's Meats, best Jalepeno/cheese smokies ever!) but not always the best selection/prices.

I'm not saying Walmart is the answer, (anything but a Walmart would be nice) but a Save-on or something similar would be nice, as well as some actual clothing stores.

And nle.....if more stores opening up with healthy competition is going to put many people out of work, then my guess would be that they weren't sustainable for the current growth of Lake Country in the first place.

Just sayin'.....
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
DuaneT

Post by DuaneT »

Deeoars wrote:Does anyone remember the restaurant that was where Tim Hoartons stands about 35 or more years ago

It was called the Tastee Freeze, use to bike there as a kid.

Does anyone remember the name of the donut shop that was located at the corner of Berry Rd and Hwy 97 before it was turned into Willy's pizza
Deeoars
Fledgling

Post by Deeoars »

Tastee Freeze it was.And it had the best cones for sure.Behind the Tasteefreeze was the roller rink that became the tennis court,next door was the Shell gas station with that giant tree.It is hard to envision now because the widdening of the highway changed everything in Winfield.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Just North of the TasteFreeze on the lake was another resturant by the gas station in the late 60's I believe it was called the Green Stagg? It burned down before the 70' I believe.
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

As a previous retail business owner in Lake Country, I can tell you from first hand experience that Lake Country is a bedroom community, and even if 'underwear and socks' were offered here, there wouldn't be enough customers to pay the lease - by definition people eat and sleep in bedroom communities, they don't shop except for bare necessities (food, gas). If somebody wants to prove me wrong, by all means there is plenty of space to lease and stock - go at it and best of luck (and try not to be surprised by the ridiculous lease costs here).

As far as DQ, it is an old franchise that has never impressed me (hygiene - won't get into it). Please anything else but that.

If another Chinese restaurant opens, best of luck to the owners, but that's never a sign of progress no matter where you are.
Deeoars
Fledgling

Post by Deeoars »

Bidwell2 your so negative and so correct.We have already had many examples,like Winfield shoes.We are a small town and I wish we were happy to leave it at that.City Hall would like to have a mini-Kelowna.
Another one going back is the Red Rooster.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Deeoars wrote:Another one going back is the Red Rooster

When we first moved we lived in Winfield Tailer park. Our first Halloween the kids came in bus loads, I had to go to the Red Rooster 4 times before it was over!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Tastee Freez
Brownies Fried Chicken
Al's Cafe
Willie's Steak and Pizza
The little pizza place behind willies that I think started out as canadian 241
Chinese place....forget what it was called at first. Winfield Chinese, or Pearl River
Woodsdale Dining Lounge
Il Caviliero
Happy Valley Restaurant

All at the same time.....more than there is now. I think I'm missing something in the list.
You and 71 others Like this post
Deeoars
Fledgling

Post by Deeoars »

Not bad Landim.Can not think of any you have missed.But what was Woodsdale Dinning Lounge before it went fancy.I remember you could just drop in for coffee and they had real nice and huge hard ice cream cones.Run by a husband and wife with cute kids who waited on tables.
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Deeoars wrote:But what was Woodsdale Dinning Lounge before it went fancy

I don't know who owned it but in the winter the place was only open on Wednesdays(the Greek house) and the two gals had fresh pie and coffee, if it is the one you are thinking of. ?
Deeoars
Fledgling

Post by Deeoars »

It must be,that was a long way back.

Return to “Central Okanagan”