The Need for a New Political Party in BC

BC's provincial election and STV referendum takes place Tuesday May 12th.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: The Need for a New Political Party in BC

Post by NAB »

ventured wrote:
Nabcom wrote:As just a small example, for the next week or so people, particularly people with kids, are going to once again go through the machinations of trying to adjust their body clocks to having to get up an hour earlier each day. Whether one agrees with the twice annual changing of the clocks or not we have no choice in the matter. (I do not agree with it for a variety of good and valid reasons - but that's for another discussion sometime). For the purposes of this thread, the point being that government manipulation of something as basic as "what the time is" enables them to dictate even the point that we must get up in the morning - twice a year disrupting millions of business schedules and lives (even costing some) worldwide in the process.

Give me a political party in BC who will put a stop to this clock changing nonsense and I will vote for them without questioning anything else related to their platform :-)

Edit to add: Just the freakin job of having to go around and reset all the clocks in my life wears me out for the day. (22 of them at last count, plus replace the batteries in the smoke detectors :-( )

Nab

I think you have too many clocks!

So you are saying that you'd repeal DST, and ban changing batteries in Smoke detectors :dyinglaughing: ?

LOL, of course I have too many clocks, not that I have much choice with the majority of them as they seem to form a part of so many things, not just in the home but at work too, including one's that monitor time differences with other places in the world or run automization of industrial processes. Of course that's a discussion for it's own thread (we have had it a number of times in the past anyway), but to answer your question - yes - in this modern age of globalization I would definitely do away with the twice annual changing of the clocks - worldwide. It's really just one huge, and useless, waste of time.

Don't know what it has to do with suggesting a ban on regularly changing batteries in Smoke Detectors though, for that would be stupid.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote: .. in this modern age of globalization I would definitely do away with the twice annual changing of the clocks - worldwide. It's really just one huge, and useless, waste of time.

Nab

I don't know what DST has to do with globalization but I look forward to the time change each year (and don't really find it too big of a hassle - but then, I don't have 22 clocks). I look forward to the longer days in the summer (up here we can play eighteen holes after work) and then sleeping in when we change the clocks in the fall. I've never seen a real downside to this issue.
Last edited by steven lloyd on Apr 13th, 2009, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

steven lloyd wrote:
Nabcom wrote: .. in this modern age of globalization I would definitely do away with the twice annual changing of the clocks - worldwide. It's really just one huge, and useless, waste of time.

Nab

I don't know what DST has to do with globalization but I look forward to the time cahnge each year (and don't really find it too big of a hassle - but then, i don't have 22 clocks). I look forward to the longer days in the summer (up here we can play eighteen holes after work) and then sleeping in when we change the clocks in the fall. I've never seen a real downside to this issue.

Not to further derail the thread steven, perhaps we could open this up for discussion in a thread of its own someplace. I'm leaving in a couple of hours for a few days of R & R. In the meantime if anyone is interested in getting it going I will look forward to it. In the meantime just do a google search using the search term "does changing the clocks really save energy" for all sorts of info on the subject, pro and con.

As for your personal reason for liking DST, that is a fairly common one next to the energy question, and can be easily accommodated without forcing all of a society to adopt a changed schedule in the process. One final thought, (or perhaps a hint for the thread) - surely you don't honestly believe yourself when you say "I look forward to the longer days in the summer", and somehow think that changing our clocks contributes in any way to that?

But as to the topic of this thread, as I said I think any new political party that would open the debate related to the changing of the clocks issue, and consider eliminating the exercise, would be displaying thought processes that go far beyond more time for golf or an extra hour sleep ;-)

(edit: ...although I have little doubt those are the primary concerns of far too many of our current politico's LOL )

Later

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nabcom wrote: One final thought, (or perhaps a hint for the thread) - surely you don't honestly believe yourself when you say "I look forward to the longer days in the summer", and somehow think that changing our clocks contributes in any way to that?

Nab

I know that the sun goes down one hour later after we change our clocks in the spring - and that's one more hour of golf after getting off work.

I know. I timed it.

Well, better go make my wife and me some breakfast and get cleaned up before hitting the couch to watch the Masters. Later.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Found this while doing some investigation into the BC Conservative Party, and again found stuff that I liked and could easily support, but also found stuff that concerned me.

http://www.conservativesbc.com/New%20Vision.pdf

For example;

A BC Conservative government will establish a funding formula which will provide equal “per student” funding for students attending the same grade in the school of their choice, whether Public, Traditional, Charter, Private or Faith Based, provided that school meets the minimum academic requirements established by the Provincial Ministry of Education. The introduction of competition into the education system will reduce the cost and improve the quality of education for all students in British Columbia.

While competition might be great for private business and suppliers of goods, and to an extent even good for children in school, I am concerned when school systems have to compete for funding as this will just serve to widen the gap between the advantaged and disadvantaged and all the social problems that go with and develop from that (or am I seeing this wrong).

And another example;

With the current, first-past-the-post system of electing MLA’s, British Columbians are forced to choose between a political party they do not like and one they like even less. They often vote strategically in order to avoid “splitting the vote” and electing the wrong party by mistake. The result is almost always a government that only has the support of a minority of the voters.

A BC Conservative government will eliminate the fear of splitting the vote forever and ensure that future governments have the support of the majority of voters by eliminating the first-past the-post system of electing MLA’s and replacing it with a system called Preferential Balloting. Voters will be able to vote for all the candidates in their order of preference. They will know that if their first choice is not elected, their vote will still count for their second choice and against the candidate or party that they do not like.

No one will ever again be elected to the Government of British Columbia with only 35 or 40% of the vote. To be elected, the candidate must win the support of at least 50% + 1 of the votes cast.

Doesn’t this sound an awful lot like the STV ?

This sounds pretty good though;

A BC Conservative government will also introduce reforms to the way the Legislature works in order to ensure that the Government is accountable to the voters, not only once every four years at election time, but every day of every year. The following reforms will be introduced.
1) Free votes in the Legislature, allowing the individual MLA to vote the wishes of his or
her constituents ahead of the wishes of their political party.
2) Workable Recall Legislation that gives the voters a realistic opportunity to remove any MLA that fails to represent them in the Legislature.
3) Referenda legislation that allows the voters instead of the MLA’s to decide moral issues and issues of great importance to British Columbia.
4) Effective Citizens’ Initiatives Legislation that provides a realistic opportunity for the
voters of British Columbia to force the Government to hold a binding referendum on any
issue.

There vision for the economy and environment is also promising (although their ideas on building infrastructure – see link – are also pretty heady and a bit of a concern)

A BC Conservative government will take dramatic steps to build a strong and vibrant economy that is environmentally responsible and that lasts not just until the 2010 Olympics, but for generations. We will develop our non-renewable resources, including Oil & Gas in the Peace River Country, the Nechacko Basin and Northern Offshore as well as our Forest Products and Agricultural output throughout British Columbia in order to provide the strong economic base that is required to pay off British Columbia’s massive debt, reduce our taxes and build a strong, renewable resource-based economy for generations to come.

Some of the revenue from non-renewable resources will be directed towards research and development in the renewable resource sector in order to build new industries in Wind Power and Tidal Power as well as biofuel production from wood and agricultural production. To ensure that these products are produced in British Columbia, we will pass legislation requiring their use in fuels consumed in British Columbia.

Some of the revenues from a continuing strong economy will enable us to pay down British Columbia’s massive debt (projected to exceed 39 billion dollars by 2009), reduce taxes, provide adequate funding for Health Care and Education, provide Senior Citizens with dignified care and enable us to rebuild the crumbling infrastructure in British Columbia, including our road and highways network. Our aim is to eliminate the Provincial Debt and the Provincial Sales Tax and have the lowest rate of Provincial Income Tax in Canada.

I’d really appreciate some feedback from posters here as I am really considering casting my vote in this new direction. If anything, I could send a message that I’m dissatisfied with both main parties but I still have real concerns about the BC Conservatives being a bit too far right in their ideology. If necessary I will vote NDP (as much difference as that will make) because I will definitely not support the re-election of the current criminal in power who’s been screwing us from day one.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

p.s. I did at least figure out who our candidate is, but there's no bio on him and I haven't heard him say a thing (not that we get much local media coverage - paper comes out one day a week).
Nicklan
Board Meister

Post by Nicklan »

steven lloyd wrote:p.s. I did at least figure out who our candidate is, but there's no bio on him and I haven't heard him say a thing (not that we get much local media coverage - paper comes out one day a week).

Don't tell me
Its another guy that needs a Skull ID like you
Is he also calling others a lier, if they point to Gordo and his Gang needing to go and the sooner the better!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

steven lloyd wrote:
Nicklan wrote: I told Mike what I wanted to do and he said he could do it, ...

:137: I just called Mike and he said he doesn't know anyone named Nicklan ???
Nicklan
Board Meister

Post by Nicklan »

steven lloyd wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

All I can tell you is I have met and talked on the phone with Mike Farnsworth a number of times and I believe him when he tells me the NDP are going to openly Back the Traditional Industries of British Columbia, right where the NDP came from in the first place.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Nicklan wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

All I can tell you is I have met and talked on the phone with Mike Farnsworth a number of times and I believe him when he tells me the NDP are going to openly Back the Traditional Industries of British Columbia, right where the NDP came from in the first place.

With all due respect, Nicklan, you can't seriously expect anyone to take your alleged (and that is all it is for the rest of us) conversation with Farnsworth seriously.

First, we don't know what you said to Farnsworth (if the conversation did take place) or what Farnsworth said in reply; we have only your recollections. As a former longtime journalist, I can assure you that the simplest stories quickly become very convoluted unless they are meticulously recorded, which is why reporters take notes or recordings and seek multiple sources for all facts.

Second, what you are saying flies directly in the face of what the most recent NDP platform says.

And third, you are making fantastic claims about what you can do with no supporting evidence, so we have little confidence in the validity of what you say. Don't take that personally; it's just a fact.

Add it all up and you wouldn't be quoted in a third-rate elementary school newspaper. At least that's the opinion of this former editor.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Nicklan
Board Meister

Post by Nicklan »

Homeownertoo wrote:
Nicklan wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

With all due respect, Nicklan, you can't seriously expect anyone to take your alleged (and that is all it is for the rest of us) conversation with Farnsworth seriously.

First, we don't know what you said to Farnsworth (if the conversation did take place) or what Farnsworth said in reply; we have only your recollections. As a former longtime journalist, I can assure you that the simplest stories quickly become very convoluted unless they are meticulously recorded, which is why reporters take notes or recordings and seek multiple sources for all facts.

Second, what you are saying flies directly in the face of what the most recent NDP platform says.

And third, you are making fantastic claims about what you can do with no supporting evidence, so we have little confidence in the validity of what you say. Don't take that personally; it's just a fact.

Add it all up and you wouldn't be quoted in a third-rate elementary school newspaper. At least that's the opinion of this former editor.

Like I said don't take my word for it contact Both Carol James and Mike Farnsworth ask them yourself. I don't believe Mike is lieing to me.
Nicklan
Board Meister

Post by Nicklan »

Nicklan wrote:
Homeownertoo wrote:
Nicklan wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

Like I said don't take my word for it contact Both Carol James and Mike Farnsworth ask them yourself. I don't believe Mike is lieing to me.

I want to remind you that they will be running British Columbia for the forseeable future because of this choice of theirs to put Jobs and the Traditional Industries of British Columbia First. They know if they Put British Columbia and British Columbians First they will have no problem to Mop the Policical Landscape of Britiah Columbia with Gordo and His Gangsters !
And Good Ridens To them I say !

:hailjo:
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Nicklan wrote:
Nicklan wrote:
Homeownertoo wrote:
Nicklan wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

I want to remind you that they will be running British Columbia for the forseeable future because of this choice of theirs to put Jobs and the Traditional Industries of British Columbia First. They know if they Put British Columbia and British Columbians First they will have no problem to Mop the Policical Landscape of Britiah Columbia with Gordo and His Gangsters !
And Good Ridens To them I say !

:hailjo:

While I don't know you personally, Nicklan, I can tell you how you come across with comments like these and others.

Every journalist has met the type, and there are always a few who haunt every newsroom. They are individuals who call up reporters with fantastic allegations or schemes that, when checked out, fall apart. They are typically poorly educated, their written comments replete with spelling mistakes (ring any bells?). And they never give up long after reporters and editors have learned to ignore them.

I question why someone with easy access to huge investment sums, who allegedly has the necessary contacts and resources to start up steel mills, shipbuilding yards, movie studios -- to mention just a few of the enterprises you claim to have at your fingertips -- would be squandering his precious time and credibility with unbelievable boasts on Castanet. You try to present yourself as the next Jimmy Pattison, but I can assure you that is not how he operates.

So if you are serious, get your act together before you beg our indulge further. If not, don't waste our time.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
strikes&gutters
Board Meister

Post by strikes&gutters »

fred 2 wrote:They make more sense then any party in bc now. Why is it that a common sense party can not make it in bc.

Yes, they do have some good ideas, whether or not they are achievable is another story. How many parties have promised free votes in the past? How many actually followed through?

IMHO, their biggest problem is with their leader, Wilf Hanni. This guy has been the leader of 3 or 4 right wing parties in the past decade. His greatest success was when he took over the Reform BC Party in 1997. Under Jack Wesigarber's leadership, Reform BC managed to gain 2 seats in the Legislature in the 1996 election, and over 10% of the vote. Then Hanni took the reigns. Within 3 MONTHS, both the Reform MLA's left the party, and that was the end of them!

Here's some more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilf_Hanni

I very much consider myself be a right-leaner, but I can't in good conscious vote for this party right now.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

strikes&gutters wrote:
fred 2 wrote:They make more sense then any party in bc now. Why is it that a common sense party can not make it in bc.

Yes, they do have some good ideas, whether or not they are achievable is another story. How many parties have promised free votes in the past? How many actually followed through?

IMHO, their biggest problem is with their leader, Wilf Hanni. This guy has been the leader of 3 or 4 right wing parties in the past decade. His greatest success was when he took over the Reform BC Party in 1997. Under Jack Wesigarber's leadership, Reform BC managed to gain 2 seats in the Legislature in the 1996 election, and over 10% of the vote. Then Hanni took the reigns. Within 3 MONTHS, both the Reform MLA's left the party, and that was the end of them!

Here's some more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilf_Hanni

I very much consider myself be a right-leaner, but I can't in good conscious vote for this party right now.

Is leadership the party's main problem now, and what specifically do you know about Hanni? How about their candidates? Their platform is attractive to me, so someone there must be doing something right.

Return to “B.C. Provincial Election 2009”