Calling All Cappuccino Lovers

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Which cappuccino do you prefer?

Starbucks with all that milk and a cup of foam.
29%
Bean Scene style in the small cup with the low foam and the nifty hearts.
71%

Total votes: 17

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Calling All Cappuccino Lovers

Post by kgcayenne »

Please vote in the above poll and voice your opinion on which cappuccino you think is the right one.

The cappuccino fix.

Cappuccinos are a source of great satisfaction when I need a solid caffeine fix. But I have encountered a discrepancy between the smaller baristas versus the chain outlets. I was ‘okay’ with what I was receiving at Starbucks, and then we went to the Bean Scene, and that’s where I was reminded of what a REAL cappuccino was. Wondering if it was perhaps one location of Starbucks not quite doing it right, I was open to trying again. Today, I had another milkaccino. It was whiter than when I have cream in my coffee! In fact, when asking for only a little foam, we were asked “Do you want a latte instead?”…. oh dear. Do they really not know how to make a REAL cappuccino???? I mean… after all, I suppose they feel the need to fill up the whole cup with SOMETHING, why not milk or foam? *sigh* No little hearts on top, nothing like that, I got a steamed milk with a whack of foam and a wee bit of espresso.

Tomorrow, I am once again going to the Bean Scene. See you there.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Small cup, very strong espresso, little froth, creativity much admired.

It's not a freaking warm milkshake, get it right Starbucks, coffee is all you do.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

It appears we need to learn the magic words:

http://www.slate.com/id/2133754
The drink in question is the elusive "short cappuccino"—at 8 ounces, a third smaller than the smallest size on the official menu, the "tall," and dwarfed by what Starbucks calls the "customer-preferred" size, the "Venti," which weighs in at 20 ounces and more than 200 calories before you add the sugar.

The short cappuccino has the same amount of espresso as the 12-ounce tall, meaning a bolder coffee taste, and also a better one. The World Barista Championship rules, for example, define a traditional cappuccino as a "five- to six-ounce beverage." This is also the size of cappuccino served by many continental cafés. Within reason, the shorter the cappuccino, the better.

The problem with large cappuccinos is that it's impossible to make the fine-bubbled milk froth ("microfoam," in the lingo) in large quantities, no matter how skilled the barista. A 20-ounce cappuccino is an oxymoron. Having sampled the short cappuccino in a number of Starbucks across the world, I can confirm that it is a better drink than the buckets of warm milk—topped with a veneer of froth—that the coffee chain advertises on its menus.

http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2006/10/27/103445/25
In such a fallen coffee world, the importance of a properly pulled espresso shot from high-quality fresh beans dwindles. Why should they bother doing better, when the Starbucks-educated masses are clamoring to shell out $5 for a sweet milkshake that would overwhelm the subtlety of good espresso anyway?

Glad to not be alone in this observation.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I don't usually buy coffee out.........too expensive.
A couple of years ago I went to value village and bought a used cappuccino maker for 10$
Best 10$ I ever spent.
I can fix my beverage exactly the way I like it (takes about 15 - mins which is sometimes how long one has to wait in line for these places anyhow)
I make mine
Strong enough to peel paint :123:
with a lovely layer of foam and a pinch of cinnamon YUMMY!!!

*thrift stores and the like usually have a lot of the machines, cuz people buy them thinking they're gonna use em and then don't.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:I don't usually buy coffee out.........too expensive.
A couple of years ago I went to value village and bought a used cappuccino maker for 10$
Best 10$ I ever spent.
I can fix my beverage exactly the way I like it (takes about 15 - mins which is sometimes how long one has to wait in line for these places anyhow)
I make mine
Strong enough to peel paint :123:
with a lovely layer of foam and a pinch of cinnamon YUMMY!!!

*thrift stores and the like usually have a lot of the machines, cuz people buy them thinking they're gonna use em and then don't.

Great idea, I'm going to look for one.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Also if you enjoy coffees like espresso or cappuccino
you may also like Kafe (turkish coffee)

In our household it was usually served after the large evening meal as a digestif.

It's basically boiled sugar (if desired) and coffee (ground to a powder - finer than making regular coffee)

Let the grounds settle in the ibirk before pouring into your demitasse cups

the coffee ends up foamy like the steamed milk of a cappuccino.
You can add cream to it after the boiling is done.

Yummy stuff!
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Here I thought this was the Al Pacino thread. :136: :mrgreen:
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

LoneWolf wrote:Here I thought this was the Al Pacino thread. :136: :mrgreen:

Not quite, but I bet Al would appreciate this thread.
PITA
Board Meister

Post by PITA »

Are you talking about the Bean Scene on Bernard or Ellis? I enjoyed the cappuccino I ordered at the Bean Scene on Bernard, however, I did not appreciate the lecture I r'cd from the snotty Barista when I ordered a medium...lol. Apparently authentic cappuccino only come in one size...well ya in Italy! Good grief, don't get all uptight and high and mighty on my a$$. I'll go where the quality is consistant and the service is friendly. I'm more of a latte gal anyway.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

PITA wrote:Are you talking about the Bean Scene on Bernard or Ellis? I enjoyed the cappuccino I ordered at the Bean Scene on Bernard, however, I did not appreciate the lecture I r'cd from the snotty Barista when I ordered a medium...lol. Apparently authentic cappuccino only come in one size...well ya in Italy! Good grief, don't get all uptight and high and mighty on my a$$. I'll go where the quality is consistant and the service is friendly. I'm more of a latte gal anyway.

Yeah, it sounds like a latte is more your style. A person has to recognize though it is places like Starbucks that have created this market for the incorrect. It's Starbucks that's made a fool of consumers asking for a medium cappuccino, not the barista who refuses to produce an inferior product and is not afraid to say so. In other words, some product development and marketing exec has said "Let's not worry about bastardizing this other culture's beverage so that we can make more money. Westerners, they won't know the difference, tell them it's 'cool' and they'll buy it no problem." Ok, they hadn't really said that, but it's what they've done.
PITA
Board Meister

Post by PITA »

Not afraid to say so? I guess it all depends on how it's said. I don't like rude service anywhere. I will not tolerate it. Hey, if it only comes in one size then say so. Save the lecture for someone who really cares. I just wanna coffee.

I can appreciate that the Bean Scene Cap is a superior beverage and my vote has reflected that, however I also like choice and good service. What's wrong with wanting it all?

On a side note, I was fortunate to travel in Italy back in 1998 and ordering a cappuccino after 11 am is frowned upon. It is considered a breakfast beverage. BTW, I never asked for a medium ;)
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I know about the 11:00 AM thing, but I think it's one thing to serve it any time of day on this side of the pond and quite another to alter the drink so that it's a large cardboard cup of luke-warm steamed milk and foam with the slightest hint of coffee the way Starbucks does. Why even call it a cappuccino if they're going to do that? And is it just me or are they making it weaker and weaker? Any Starbucks employees out there who know the magic words one has to say to get a real cap?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

There are other places following the milkaccino trend, so which places (besides Bean Scene) are making the traditional cappuccino (a good one too)?
nature_lover

Post by nature_lover »

I have been a cappuccino fan for many many years.

The best cappuccino I have ever had is at a place called "Caffe Aritigiano" in West Vancouver (at the Park Royal Village). They heat up the milk at the perfect temperature so that is has the perfect sweetness, and they do the "foam art" and everything.

They also have a selection of award winning coffees from around the world. The last time I was there, they had the #1 coffee in the world for about $18 per taster cup I think. I know not everyone would be willing to pay that much for a cup of coffee, but it's cool to have the option of trying award winning coffees.

Their standard cappuccino is cheaper than Starbucks I believe.

http://www.caffeartigiano.com

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”