Lying to win a contest.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
peteykat
Fledgling

Lying to win a contest.

Post by peteykat »

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... ld&s_name=

I read this and my jaw dropped! I've never been so dissappointed in a person I've never even met before.

:smt075 :smt075 :smt075 :smt075
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

The sickest part, is that the Mom took part in this whole scheme. In fact, I would say that to win this award on a false emotional essay, she must have had a big part.
I actually feel sorry for the 6 year old. Because her mother taught her that lying and scheming to get what you want is ok.
I do hope they take away the tickets, so that maybe this little girl will learn a very valuable lesson about life.
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

At 6, you know the difference between truth and a lie. I think the tickets should be donated to a child in need who truly DOES deserve to go. What a horrific lie to tell just to go to a concert? It's SICK that a parent would do that or even go along with it just to make your kid happier. Here's a thought - don't teach her to be a liar and she'll be happy.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Texas girl loses Hannah Montana tickets over lie

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... nt&s_name=

GARLAND, Texas -- A six-year-old Texas girl who won four tickets to a Hannah Montana concert with an essay falsely claiming her father died in Iraq isn't going to the show after all.

The contest's sponsor, a U.S. store chain named Club Libby Lu, says it is withdrawing the prize and awarding it to another contestant.

It didn't identify the new winner.

Officials of the Chicago-based chain had surprised the girl on Friday at a Club Libby Lu store in a mall in a Dallas suburb.

The chain sells clothes, accessories and games for young girls.

The girl won a makeover that included a blonde Hannah Montana wig, as well as the grand prize: airfare for four to Albany, N.Y., and four tickets to the sold-out Hannah Montana concert on Jan. 9.

The opening line in the essay was: "My daddy died this year in Iraq."

The girl's mother had told Club Libby Lu officials that the girl's father died April 17 in a roadside bombing in Iraq, company spokeswoman Robyn Caulfield said.

But the mother, Priscilla Ceballos, admitted later Friday that the essay and the military information she provided about her daughter's father were untrue.

"We did the essay and that's what we did to win. We did whatever we could do to win," Ceballos said in an interview Friday with KDFW-TV of Dallas. "But when (Caulfield) asked me if this essay is true, I said 'No, this essay is not true."'

Mary Drolet, chief executive of Club Libby Lu, announced the decision to withdraw the award on Saturday.

"With this decision, we hope to revive the intended spirit of the contest, which was designed to make a little girl's holidays extra special," Drolet said.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Trainer Mick
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Trainer Mick »

Featherbrain wrote:The sickest part, is that the Mom took part in this whole scheme. In fact, I would say that to win this award on a false emotional essay, she must have had a big part.
I actually feel sorry for the 6 year old. Because her mother taught her that lying and scheming to get what you want is ok.
I do hope they take away the tickets, so that maybe this little girl will learn a very valuable lesson about life.

I'm going to go ahead and say it was probably all the mother's idea.

Charge the mother with fraud.
Looking for more than the illusion.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I don't think a six year old could have come up with a dandy like that. The mother even admitted, "we did what we had to do to win". A six year old most likely does know the difference between the truth and a lie, but at that age, children are also pretty much programmed that what their parents say to do, is the right thing. So that message of right and wrong has become pretty twisted. I bet that woman feels pretty proud now.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Trainer Mick wrote:
Featherbrain wrote:The sickest part, is that the Mom took part in this whole scheme. In fact, I would say that to win this award on a false emotional essay, she must have had a big part.

I'm going to go ahead and say it was probably all the mother's idea.

Charge the mother with fraud.

I tend to agree that it was mommy that chose to step out of line and she'd do well to look up the meaning of ethics.

As to charges I doubt that would fly unless the contest organizers clearly stipulated that the essay had to be true which it's very possible they didn't.

Regardless that woman should win the award for Classless Mother of the Year.
daedalus
Board Meister

Post by daedalus »

What was the essay on?
Penguin avatar: http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/1816/penguinsnc5.gif
The poor penguin gets revenge: http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/13/penguin_revenge.gif
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

daedalus wrote:What was the essay on?

Umm, read the earlier posts on the thread.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”