Retinal Circus

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
BriTer
Guru

Retinal Circus

Post by BriTer »

Does anyone remember the Retinal Circus in Van, on Davie near Hornbie I think.
This was maybe 40 years and more back.
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Nope. But I remember a corned beef place just off Pigeon Square that was a regular stop, haven't seen that one for years either.

What was the Retinal Circus? Sounds like hippies.

There are a few businesses that have survived the years that are still regular stops when I get down there.

- Magpie Magazine Gallery down the lower end of Commercial
- The Comic Shoppe on 4th, half a block down from...
- Sophie's Cosmic Cafe (best breakfast, all day)
- Banyan Books (west end of 4th Ave) always a metaphysical adventure.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Retinal Circus had live bands. It would be interesting to know who played back then that are well known today. Then again, that far back most are probably gone to the happy hunting grounds.

I hung out in a place called Gerry's, on Granville, between Davie and Nelson I believe. There was a restaurant on the corner of Davie and Granville call I believe the Cock 'N Bull, or something similar.

I read somewhere Gerry's was shut down a couple times and was last seen on Davie.
Trouble trouble trouble. Lordy
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Sounds like we're both talking the same era, early 70's ish? I can remember April Wine and Chilliwack playing for high school dances in Summerland. Two bucks worth of gas actually got you somewhere.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

fluffy wrote:Sounds like we're both talking the same era, early 70's ish? I can remember April Wine and Chilliwack playing for high school dances in Summerland. Two bucks worth of gas actually got you somewhere.

LOL! I just noticed the auto took out the name of the restaurant. Okay I'll try the Rooster 'N Bull :)
Yup, that would be about the same time.

I lived in Port Alberni for a few months. I remember Chiliwack came to town and after the show they came up to the house I was staying in.
I have a few of their records here somewhere.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

BriTer wrote:I remember Chiliwack came to town and after the show they came up to the house I was staying in.
I have a few of their records here somewhere.

Bill Henderson, lead singer from Chilliwack is still active on the music scene. He and Roy Forbes, who used to call himself 'Bim' back in the day, put on songwriters' workshops every year at the George Ryga Centre in Summerland and always manage to sneak in a concert or two while they're here. The same two, along with Shari Ulrich of 'Pied Pumkin' fame, get together every now and then under the name 'UHF' and if you ever get a chance to see that show, it would be a serious mistake to pass it up.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

fluffy wrote:Bill Henderson, lead singer from Chilliwack is still active on the music scene. He and Roy Forbes, who used to call himself 'Bim' back in the day, put on songwriters' workshops every year at the George Ryga Centre in Summerland and always manage to sneak in a concert or two while they're here. The same two, along with Shari Ulrich of 'Pied Pumkin' fame, get together every now and then under the name 'UHF' and if you ever get a chance to see that show, it would be a serious mistake to pass it up.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and I'd appreciate it if you would keep me informed :)
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

fluffy and briter, this could be a long shot, but do either of you remember a Vancouver-based band called Bowser Moon that was fairly popular around that time?
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

JayByrd wrote:fluffy and briter, this could be a long shot, but do either of you remember a Vancouver-based band called Bowser Moon that was fairly popular around that time?

That rings a bell. Was the leader a black dude by any chance?
Edited: Just did a Google search, not a black dude lol
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Found this while looking for Bowser Moon :)
http://pnwbands.com/nwtributes70.html
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

JayByrd wrote:fluffy and briter, this could be a long shot, but do either of you remember a Vancouver-based band called Bowser Moon that was fairly popular around that time?

I remember them being on the bar circuit in the early 80's. They played at 2929 in Vernon. If I am not mistaken they had a drummer with a mohawk who also played with Brian Adams at some point.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Doesn't ring a bell with me, but I spent a lot of time out of the province from mid seventies to mid eighties.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

gardengirl wrote:

I remember them being on the bar circuit in the early 80's. They played at 2929 in Vernon. If I am not mistaken they had a drummer with a mohawk who also played with Brian Adams at some point.

Keith Scott also played with Bowser Moon for a while.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

BriTer wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

It seems to me his name was Vince, but I could be wrong.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

gardengirl wrote:
BriTer wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

It seems to me his name was Vince, but I could be wrong.

No idea about Vince...there was a Dave Wilson that drummed for Bowser.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Scott

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”