Scary Food

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
amomof2dogs
Generalissimo Postalot

Scary Food

Post by amomof2dogs »

Early last October I bought two packages of the Wonder Square bagels. The kids tried the white ones and didn't like them. Subsequently the whole wheat package got lost in the bottom of the bread basket. I was cleaning out the bread basket at the end of October when I found them. They looked perfectly fresh and had a best before sticker of October 17th . I was surprised that they were not mouldy as bread tends to go bad pretty fast. I decided to keep them around and see how long it took for the bagels to finally go bad. Today my husband looked at them and discovered they had finally started to go bad. I am truly shocked that it took that long. Four months. I really am starting to "Wonder" what is in those things that preserved them for so long. Certainly something I don't want to eat.

edited to add best before date.
Last edited by amomof2dogs on Jan 6th, 2008, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I remember someone once showing me a pill vial full of cheez whiz that showed no signs of any deterioration at all after having been kept unrefrigerated for over two years.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

we had something like that happen when we were still living in Quebec. we had a package of store brand hamburger buns that got shoved to the back of our pantry. because of the humidity there you really need to either use your bread fast or keep it in the fridge. anyway...one day while pawing through the pantry we came across the buns. they had been in there for months and like your bagels they looked fine. it scared us too! :lol: we didn't keep them around, tossed those evil things! lol
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

fluffy wrote:I remember someone once showing me a pill vial full of cheez whiz that showed no signs of any deterioration at all after having been kept unrefrigerated for over two years.

how'd it taste? :lol:

by the way amomof2dogs, i love your subject line for this. LOL scary food for sure!
― Albert Einstein
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Good topic! I had the same thing happen with an opened carton of milk, just one time. It had been tucked behind something else and was in the 'fridge for something like two months and yet smelled absolutely okay. Needless to say, we tossed it. :200:
Puppycake
Board Meister

Post by Puppycake »

I started to wonder about some ice creams too. We dumped a clump in the sink one time and about 6 hours later, most of it was still there, not melted! :145: Whats in that stuff? ewwwww
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i think this is why people are living longer. they are pickled. :lol:
― Albert Einstein
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Chunky soup doesn't decay either.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Twinkies - Shelf life FOREVER!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

What happens to sour cream when it hits the expiry date?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

It turns green.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

BriTer wrote:It turns green.

Does that make it sourlent green?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
donna_mgc

Post by donna_mgc »

Kind of like margarine. You can leave it out forever and open and the fruit flies will never touch it. It will never go bad either. scary. I use butter now, just very little of it.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I have a similar story about cheese slices. My hubby threw one in the glove box one day when he was in a rush and wanted to have a snack on hand.

Nine months later, I found it.
It was a little crunchy on the edges, but still looked like cheese. No mold, nothing.

We haven't bought slices since.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

BriTer wrote:It turns green.

You forgot about the black fuzz.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”