Kelowna's Restaurants (Health Scare)

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
BoB76
Guru

Kelowna's Restaurants (Health Scare)

Post by BoB76 »

Have you ever been inside the backs of them? Have you seen the grease that is tracked in/out by all the suppliers and cooks? What amazes me is the fact that flour and and other foods quite often are left in bags open and on the floor. I have seen raw chicken and beef thawing in the open in open lid pails on the floor. I see cooks standing outside smoking with the back doors open. It is nice when I see fly traps with dead flies hanging over the cooking areas!!! I have seen vent systems that haven't been cleaned in 3 years!! ..... The list could go on and on........ My question is why aren't the customers more demanding to have these problems better regulated by the health board. Bet most of you have never demanded to look at the cooking areas have you? Some of the nicest dining areas have the most disgusting cooking areas.
Last edited by BoB76 on Feb 1st, 2008, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelowna's Restaurants

Post by Urbane »

BoB76 wrote:Have you ever been inside the backs of them? Have you seen the grease that is tracked in/out by all the suppliers and cooks? What amazes me is the fact that flour and and other foods quite often are left in bags open and on the floor. I have seen raw chicken and beef thawing in the open in open lid pails on the floor. I see cooks standing outside smoking with the back doors open. It is nice when I see fly traps with dead flies hanging over the cooking areas!!! I have seen vent systems that haven't been cleaned in 3 years!! ..... The list could go on and on........ My question is why aren't the customers more demanding to have these problems better regulated by the health board. Bet most of you have never demanded to look at the cooking areas have you? Some of the nicest dining areas have the most disgusting cooking areas.

My wife and I will be in Kelowna this evening and will be going out to dinner. Can you name one or more places where the above scenario is NOT the case? Just to keep it positive and avoid legal issues.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Urbane wrote:
    BoB76 wrote:Have you ever been inside the backs of them? Have you seen the grease that is tracked in/out by all the suppliers and cooks? What amazes me is the fact that flour and and other foods quite often are left in bags open and on the floor. I have seen raw chicken and beef thawing in the open in open lid pails on the floor. I see cooks standing outside smoking with the back doors open. It is nice when I see fly traps with dead flies hanging over the cooking areas!!! I have seen vent systems that haven't been cleaned in 3 years!! ..... The list could go on and on........ My question is why aren't the customers more demanding to have these problems better regulated by the health board. Bet most of you have never demanded to look at the cooking areas have you? Some of the nicest dining areas have the most disgusting cooking areas.
My wife and I will be in Kelowna this evening and will be going out to dinner. Can you name one or more places where the above scenario is NOT the case? Just to keep it positive and avoid legal issues.

If you want I can PM you some of the good or bad whichever you want.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

BoB76 wrote: My question is why aren't the customers more demanding to have these problems better regulated by the health board. Some of the nicest dining areas have the most disgusting cooking areas.

I have seen a few and they aren't pretty!
I think most people never go to the back, or even think of asking!

Once again, I think the City needs to get the Health and Food Inspectors to skiddle and do some work! Like they used to have surprise un-announced visits! :1422:
Some of the Kitchens in the fast food places are totally disgusting, but one has to look at who works there!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

BoB76 wrote:
    Urbane wrote:

If you want I can PM you some of the good or bad whichever you want.

Please do that. Thanks.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Struts 'N' Stuff Auto wrote:
BoB76 wrote: My question is why aren't the customers more demanding to have these problems better regulated by the health board. Some of the nicest dining areas have the most disgusting cooking areas.

Once again, I think the City needs to get the Health and Food Inspectors to skiddle and do some work! Like they used to have surprise un-announced visits! :1422:
Some of the Kitchens in the fast food places are totally disgusting, but one has to look at who works there!

The Health Inspectors don't just look after the City. They look after the entire region, right down to the border. I am not sure how far north they go, it seems to me Revelstoke or Kamloops.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I find it funny when I go to a certain sandwich shop that makes the sandwich right in front of you how they do things. They will make everyones sandwich with the same pair of gloves. Use the same knife to cut everyones sandwich in half with no regard to allergies or people dislikes of the food on the knife. I have seen gloves used to take payment and then continue making sandwiches. I have seen napkins (possibly used but look new) placed back on the pile by the til.......
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

BoB76 wrote:I find it funny when I go to a certain sandwich shop that makes the sandwich right in front of you how they do things. They will make everyones sandwich with the same pair of gloves. Use the same knife to cut everyones sandwich in half with no regard to allergies or people dislikes of the food on the knife. I have seen gloves used to take payment and then continue making sandwiches. I have seen napkins (possibly used but look new) placed back on the pile by the til.......

And that's right in front of you. You have to wonder what they do when you can't see. I was just thinking that a restaurant could get a lot of mileage out of having a camera or two in the kitchen and broadcasting the feed to somewhere out front. People could watch the food preparers do their thing, for those who are interested, and it would perhaps increase the customers' confidence level a bit. I realize you can't show everything with a couple of cameras but it might be a start.
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

Post by SpazmoTheMagnificent »

gardengirl wrote:

The Health Inspectors don't just look after the City. They look after the entire region, right down to the border. I am not sure how far north they go, it seems to me Revelstoke or Kamloops.

Another growth issue. Usually bigger cities have there own inspector for restaurants. Any city that is a vacation spot or depends of seasonal tourists...should have its own...this should be manditory. However...this decision falls with our tax money...and our tax money is directed by a bunch of limp bisquits down at city hall.
Bob is right...we should have a health inspector for our population and type of city. Someone defining health standards is a good thing.
Maybe bob you should go to city counscel with your resume and ask for the job...we need someone like you protecting the public here in Kelowna.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

SpazmoTheMagnificent wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

Another growth issue. Usually bigger cities have there own inspector for restaurants. Any city that is a vacation spot or depends of seasonal tourists...should have its own...this should be manditory. However...this decision falls with our tax money...and our tax money is directed by a bunch of limp bisquits down at city hall.
Bob is right...we should have a health inspector for our population and type of city. Someone defining health standards is a good thing.
Maybe bob you should go to city counscel with your resume and ask for the job...we need someone like you protecting the public here in Kelowna.

Then everyone would be *bleep* off at me because half the restaurants are closed!! I think the restaurants should get a 4 times a year inspection and they are the ones who should flip the bill. Commercial vehicles have to be inspected for safety at the owners expense for the safety of the public so I believe restaurants should have to do the same.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:

I don't believe it is under the City's jurisdiction. Look in the Blue Pages under Federal Gov't. Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
Kelowna's City Hall has nothing to say in the matter.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
LeifH
Fledgling

Post by LeifH »

I've worked in a few Kelowna restaurants. I'm not going to mention any names, but they were all expensive, high class and gross in the back. Fish/chicken/beef/pork thawing on the floor in a bucket or bin, dirty floors, poor preparation area, etc. Not to mention dishwashing. But hey, I still eat out, just not as often.
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

gardengirl wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

I don't believe it is under the City's jurisdiction. Look in the Blue Pages under Federal Gov't. Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

I'm talking besides the provincial health codes/enforcement...lots of cities establish there own means of protecting the public from poor eateries. Our city should do the same!
Would you be willing to forgo some of your taxes toward a dept. that would gaurantee you don't get food poisening? I would...some might not though.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

gardengirl wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

I'm talking besides the provincial health codes/enforcement...lots of cities establish there own means of protecting the public from poor eateries. Our city should do the same!
Would you be willing to forgo some of your taxes toward a dept. that would gaurantee you don't get food poisening? I would...some might not though.

I don't think the taxpayers should pay the bill, however I believe the city should be the ones who enforce the rules. There should be an independant company who contracts for the city who direct bills the restaurants on a 4 times a year basis. I say independent because we all know how useless the city bylaw people are. It should be the responsibility of the restaurant to pay the inspection kinda like how commercial vehicles get inspected at the cost of the owner. Maybe restaurants should buy a quarterly business license and upon health inspection they can have it renewed.
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

BoB76 wrote:
gardengirl wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

I don't think the taxpayers should pay the bill, however I believe the city should be the ones who enforce the rules. There should be an independant company who contracts for the city who direct bills the restaurants on a 4 times a year basis. I say independent because we all know how useless the city bylaw people are. It should be the responsibility of the restaurant to pay the inspection kinda like how commercial vehicles get inspected at the cost of the owner. Maybe restaurants should buy a quarterly business license and upon health inspection they can have it renewed.

Yes...not a bad idea bob...im not sure some establishments make enough money to be able to fit into that model though.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”