What's for dinner tonight?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: What's for dinner tonight?

Post by oneh2obabe »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:Are you kidding? 1/2-1# of MEAT/person? Who do you think I am? A K-9? a McD's 1/4# + small fries is enough to give me a belly ache. I am a 200# man and....there is NO way that I could eat 1/2# of Turkey in one meal and 2 lunches.
Add potatoes, 1 bun, maybe a salad, 1 veggie.......and I will fall asleep before desert.
It's now, "NO wonder why", there are sooooooo many leftovers.

He asked a question, I answered. In case you missed the beginning of my answer - I did say rule of thumb. Believe it or not, that's how you figure out how much to buy for an event or a dinner party and not end up with enough food.

Glad to hear you don't eat much but there are guys out there that can chow down 1-2 lbs. of meat at one meal and they don't weigh 200 lbs. to do it. Truth be known, my sister can scarf that much down in one sitting with no problem.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Dec 27th, 2012, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Chicken hearts with pasta.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

.. And a 20-lb turkey is certainly not all edible portions. I go with Bsuds... Get a 4-5 lb ham in the mix.
Chill
GenuinelyInterested
Board Meister

Post by GenuinelyInterested »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:Are you kidding? 1/2-1# of MEAT/person? Who do you think I am? A K-9? a McD's 1/4# + small fries is enough to give me a belly ache. I am a 200# man and....there is NO way that I could eat 1/2# of Turkey in one meal and 2 lunches.
Add potatoes, 1 bun, maybe a salad, 1 veggie.......and I will fall asleep before desert.
It's now, "NO wonder why", there are sooooooo many leftovers.

oneh2obabe wrote:He asked a question, I answered. In case you missed the beginning of my answer - I did say rule of thumb. Believe it or not, that's how you figure out how much food to buy for an event or a dinner party and not end up with enough food.

OH, I am sorry. When I plan for an event, I try to "end up" with as few leftovers, as possible, yet making sure that everyone is "stuffed to the max". Whatever "might" be leftover would be something that is sooooo good that my guests will DESIRE and sometimes fight over taking home.
The first thing that comes to mind is, Cinnamon Buns. Always makes for a GREAT breakfast touch the next day. Salad does not travel/keep well. Turkey, although is great fresh and maybe semi-good for one lunch sandwich, the rest gets dumped after that and is just a waste. Veggies should always be served in moderation and with great variety. The little bits that are left, when added to L/O turkey can make for a good casserole.
When in doubt, have a little extra ice cream to add to the pumpkin pie. Nobody will EVER complain, and if they do, add a larger salad to next year's menu.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Glacier wrote:Question: We have a 20+ lb turkey for Saturday night. Is this enough to feed 7 adults and 12 kids (ages range from 2 to 11)? How about if we invite another 2 adults and 4 kids (same age range)?

What happened? Did it all work out?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:Turkey, although is great fresh and maybe semi-good for one lunch sandwich, the rest gets dumped after that and is just a waste.

:200: :200: :200:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Exactly ... there's a wide variety of recipes for leftover turkey to choose from.

Recipes Using Cooked Turkey - to name a few
Hot Turkey Sandwich
Turkey and Mashed Potato Croquettes
Turkey Stock
Turkey Broccoli Quiche
Creamy Turkey Pie
Turkey, Ham, and Swiss Casserole
Turkey Salad With Red Grapes
Turkey Pasta Casserole With Asparagus and Cheddar Cheese
Turkey and Rice Bake

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/turkey ... turkey.htm
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Leftovers transformed: Turkey pot pie was tonight's supper
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Got an awesome deal on meaty baby back ribs ... $2.98/lb. so dinner tonight will be baby back ribs, Cajun onion rings, buttermilk biscuits, and either coleslaw or Caesar salad.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Something liquid - tooth is hanging on by a thread now and dentists are all closed until Jan 7
__________________________________________________________________________________________

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

grammafreddy wrote:Something liquid - tooth is hanging on by a thread now and dentists are all closed until Jan 7

You saw the dentist in the middle of November. Why didn't they take care of the problem then?

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

oneh2obabe wrote:You saw the dentist in the middle of November. Why didn't they take care of the problem then?

I had an Xray then and she would have pulled it for me but I chose to see if it would reseat itself so I could "buy" myself more time - it is my last molar and chewing tooth and I wanted to keep it if I could.

She saw me as an emerg patient and is not taking new patients but I found a dentist who is and made an appointment the earliest they could get me in - January 17. All the dentists (3) in town are closed "for the holidays" until Monday, Jan 7.

However ................ about 5 minutes ago I pushed it gently with my tongue and the damn thing fell into my mouth. So that has been taken care of quite nicely :(

I'll go rinse with some mouthwash and check out the hole(s). Its not bleeding at all.

Still think it will be a liquid supper, though. Maybe some porridge??? LOL

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Forget the porridge.

Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

I"m hoping for you that there's not roots left in there...

Anyway, I'm having squid and scallop satay stir fry with coconut rice.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Phoenix Within wrote:I"m hoping for you that there's not roots left in there...

Anyway, I'm having squid and scallop satay stir fry with coconut rice.

Nope - the tooth looks really nice and clean - roots all intact. Man, that was slick!

No porridge? It's feeling so good I am thinking about a salmon sandwich now :D except I think I am out of bread. Guess its time to bake again.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”