Movie: Doomsday

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Movie: Doomsday

Post by Symbonite »

Premise to this movie

A virus called the "reaper" virus breaks out......again in Great Britain (something tells me that england is a cesspool for viruses..ala 28days later) and they seal off Scotland to try to contain it. 30 years later they find that there is still people living in the north and they need to find a cure because the reaper virus breaks out in London.

The Hero is a woman that lost her mother to the reaper virus 30 years before and she is told to go in to Scotland and find the cure. she accepts because she has no family and no care. She and her team are met with lawless resistance of course.

This movie does remind me a bit of a over the top Mad Max movie. It is Entertaining enough to not be too bored. Don't expect a in depth story line.

If you like senseless graphic killing. It delivers.

1 thumb up out of two.

SIDE NOTE: If anyone sees this movie...there is a part in the movie that has the answer to the Enterprise rabbit problem that we have in Kelowna. You will know what I mean when you see it.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Movie: Doomsday

Post by fluffy »

Reminds me of a Frank Herbert novel I read years back called "White Plague" where an engineered virus kills only women. A great story if memory serves.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

There seems to be a movement in Hollywood now to rehash older movies for the new generation. I'm not even talking about direct remakes...but for the today's teens and 20 somethings who never saw the Mad Max films, there's Doomsday. For those too young to remember The Karate Kid, there's Never Back Down. Do you ever get the sense that most of the good ideas for movies have already been done?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

No. It's just that Hollywood doesn't want to gamble as much, and instead wants to make money on proven popular stories.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Being a huge fan of end-of-world flicks, disaster flicks and zombie flicks, I'm easy to please.

The best end-of-worlds really do end the world for all practical purposes (no last-minute save). Pretty much all nuclear end-of-worlds (except Strangelove) contain The Scene Just Before, where people of varying ethic origins, old people, and happy families with children frolick in a city park. In the sunshine. Then the birds evacuate (real quick) and *blip* everybody is dead.

Disaster flicks need hapless characters who will always do the wrong thing, relationships that are always buggered up but about to be fixed by the shared disaster, and scientists who always discover the only solution is the one that we already know: a nuclear device.

Zombie movies also come stocked with people who will always do the wrong thing, but the zombies, even though they are ex-people who always did the wrong thing, manage to avoid doing those wrong things, which begs the question, does zombiehood make you smarter?
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Jo wrote:Being a huge fan of end-of-world flicks, disaster flicks and zombie flicks, I'm easy to please.

The best end-of-worlds really do end the world for all practical purposes (no last-minute save). Pretty much all nuclear end-of-worlds (except Strangelove) contain The Scene Just Before, where people of varying ethic origins, old people, and happy families with children frolick in a city park. In the sunshine. Then the birds evacuate (real quick) and *blip* everybody is dead.

Disaster flicks need hapless characters who will always do the wrong thing, relationships that are always buggered up but about to be fixed by the shared disaster, and scientists who always discover the only solution is the one that we already know: a nuclear device.

Zombie movies also come stocked with people who will always do the wrong thing, but the zombies, even though they are ex-people who always did the wrong thing, manage to avoid doing those wrong things, which begs the question, does zombiehood make you smarter?

I love end of the world flicks...should be more of them...because its going to happen. Most likely with a virus though. like 28days later.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

They're the best, alright, and they aren't made nearly often enough, which means watching the favourites over and over again. Have you ever seen Miracle Mile? A real little classic, that one. Some good stuff came out of the 80s Reagan era.

28 Days was great!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

There are 2 others I love....Maximum Overdrive....Comet passes by and all machines start killing...

and Night of the comet...another Comet goes by and everyone is gone. I am Legend Had that same feeling..but again it was caused by a virus.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Symbonite wrote:There are 2 others I love....Maximum Overdrive....Comet passes by and all machines start killing...

and Night of the comet...another Comet goes by and everyone is gone. I am Legend Had that same feeling..but again it was caused by a virus.

Hey! Thanks, I'll check to see if I've seen those ones yet (I suck at remembering titles). I can't wait to see I Am Legend, hopefully tonight.
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

Is 10 000 BC a doomsday flick? Has anyone seen it? My daughter wants to go tonight.
razzledazzle
Lord of the Board

Post by razzledazzle »

peacelover wrote:Is 10 000 BC a doomsday flick? Has anyone seen it? My daughter wants to go tonight.

Seen it, got it off the net, good movie, and doomsday is good also. :purefury:
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

*off topic remark removed*/ferri
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

I haven't seen Doomsday but I think Avril Lavigne has a cameo. Yes/no???
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Done, re-done, and done yet again. I popped into London Drugs the other day and picked up a copy of "I Am Legend", got the special edition because they supply an alternate ending to the theatrical release. Anyhow, the twentyish checkout gal says "You'll love this, it's made from a comic book you know." Funny how the history gets lost sometimes. While a graphic novel was one incarnation of this story, it originally stems from a novel penned over fifty years ago, and the Wil Smith effort is the story's third visit to the big screen. I've seen this new one, and the Charlton Heston version called "The Omega Man" released in 1971, but haven't read the book or seen any of the other versions. A notable difference between the new one and the Heston version is that in the older one the 'zombies' talked.

The new one is decent entertainment, Wil Smith has come a long way since his TV sitcom stuff.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

We watched I Am Legend last night, and while it was good from any basic end-of-world/disaster/zombie point of view, it seemed to be litle more than the American take on 28 Days. I liked the dog best. 8-)

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”