Paul McCartney's woes

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
zzontar
Guru

Paul McCartney's woes

Post by zzontar »

Heather Mills 'very pleased' with divorce settlement
Updated Mon. Mar. 17 2008 5:41 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Paul McCartney's divorce has been settled, with ex-wife Heather Mills receiving C$48.6 million - a massive sum - but only a pittance compared to what Mills thought her four-year marriage to the former Beatle was worth.

Mills had originally asked for about C$250 million in the divorce settlement, saying McCartney was worth about $1.6 billion.

In a document released by Britain's family court today, the judge awarded Mills a lump sum of about $33 million plus assets she currently holds worth $15.5 million.

Judge Hugh Bennett said McCartney's fortune was closer to C$800 million.

Regardless, Mills appeared delighted with the settlement when she spoke to reporters Monday. She said the settlement was much more than what McCartney offered.

Read the text of the divorce settlement
"I am very, very, very pleased," Mills said the impromptu news conference. "And what I'd like to say being a campaigning girl is that anyone who is going through a divorce . . . try your hardest to settle it immediately."

"It was an incredible result in the end to secure mine and my daughter's future and that of all the charities that I obviously plan on helping and making a difference with - because you know it has been my life for 20 years.'

She also made a statement on her website saying "It is with great excitement and energy that I will to return to normal life."

The court also ruled that the couple's four-year-old daughter Beatrice should receive a "periodical payments order'' of $70,000 a year. On top of that, McCartney will pay for the child's nanny and school fees.

Not over yet

But Mills will be back in court Tuesday pleading for the full text of the judge's ruling not to be released to the public. She says it contains private details about her and her daughter.

The McCartney-Mills divorce saga has been ongoing -- and very public -- for two years. Each party unleashed some very nasty accusations at each other, which British tabloids -- and the public -- ate up.

At one point, Mills accused McCartney of stabbing her with glass.

But the public decidedly backed the Beatle. Mills said in interviews she feared for herself and their daughter.

"We've had death threats, I've been close to suicide. I'm so upset about this," Mills said in a November interview. "I've had worse press than a pedophile or a murderer, and I've done nothing but charity for 20 years."

In November, Mills fired her lawyers, deciding to represent herself. She said that the money she saved "could easily go to charity."

"Obviously the court do not want a litigant in person to do well, it's against everything that they ever wish, so when they write the judgment up they're never going to make it look in favour,'' she said.

She also had harsh words Monday for her ex-husband's lawyer, Fiona Shackleton, who was well known for representing Prince Charles in his divorce from Princess Diana.

"She has called me many, many names before even meeting me when I was in a wheelchair,'' said Mills.

Mills, a former model, had her left leg amputated after a 1993 motorcycle crash.

McCartney met Mills in 1999, the year his first wife, Linda McCartney, died of breast cancer. That marriage was famed as one of rock's most enduring unions and the couple had three children, including fashion designer Stella McCartney.

Mills and McCartney married at an Irish castle in 2002, amid whispers that his children disapproved.

McCartney left the court Monday without speaking to reporters.

With files from The Associated Press

Please Add Comments(58)

Ray - London
I would never consider the following calculations in a normal divorce proceeding, but this is truly an exception.

The divorce settlement is reported to be approx 50 million dollars, and they were married for approx 4 years.

24 hrs per day x 7 days = 168 hours
168 hrs x 52 weeks = 8736 hours
8736 x 4 years = 34944 hours

50,000,000 divided by 34944 = $1,430.86 per hour!

Wow, I'll bet Paul's going to be singing strictly blues from now on... how can anybody think that's justice? How nice that she wants to donate to charity with the money HE earned... I'm sure she had it rough for those four years, wearing rags and going hungry... this a woman who gives women a bad name, a human who gives humans a bad name... greed has reared it's ugly head, and ugly it is. Does anyone think this is even remotely fair?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Paul McCartney's woes

Post by ferri »

it would almost be worth that amount to get her to shut up. LOL she really does love herself doesn't she? i bet she is her favorite charity. :127:

i'm moving this to Entertainment. :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Heather Mills is a loud mouth, whiny, incredibly annoying ding bat. That being said, old Paulie must've seen something in her years ago. I'll keep my real opinions to myself though. :lol: What they both need to remember is they share a daughter and they must come together and parent that innocent little girl. She is the one I truly feel sorry for. Shame on Heather and shame on Paul.

~D
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

zzontar wrote:Wow, I'll bet Paul's going to be singing strictly blues from now on... how can anybody think that's justice? How nice that she wants to donate to charity with the money HE earned... I'm sure she had it rough for those four years, wearing rags and going hungry... this a woman who gives women a bad name, a human who gives humans a bad name... greed has reared it's ugly head, and ugly it is. Does anyone think this is even remotely fair?

Everything you said there was pretty much my reaction too. I don't follow these stories, generally, but I've followed Paul's career quite closely since I was a kid. Strangely ironic that someone who had such and amazing marriage and partnership for so long ended up with such a distasteful gold digger. I hope that what must have been a positively wretched experience doesn't spoil his ever present optimism.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by tawnylee »

What I don't get is how with the $48 million she also needed a separate amount for their daughter (70,000 a year), and another separate amount for nanny/school fees. Goodness gracious that's ridiculous!
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”