T.I.P.S.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Canadian Cooker

T.I.P.S.

Post by Canadian Cooker »

I just finished reading the "Gasthaus" thread and it reminded me of something I learned a few years ago. Nobody "tips" anymore. Tips stand for To Insure Prompt Service. When a gentleman would take his lady out for dinner and wanted to impress her, he would give the Matree D cash upfront to ensure thier experience would be top notch. The bigger the TIPS the better the service. As time went on, people started feeling that they were not getting a good enough bang for thier buck so instead of a tip the would leave a gratuity after thier meal was done. The better the service and meal, the better the gratuity.

As for the auto 10% the gasthaus charged, I feel it was not uncalled for, should even be 15%, but the customer should have been told about it up front.
You need to be lucky to be good, and good to be lucky.
logicalview
Guru

Re: T.I.P.S.

Post by logicalview »

Canadian Cooker wrote:Tips stand for To Insure Prompt Service.

or

To Insure Professional Service.
Not afraid to say "It".
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

If the service isn't good do you just deduct the tip then? I don't agree with the waiter/waitress having to pay the others in the kitchen if the service isn't good. I feel if the service wasn't good it is usually a reflection of all the staff for the most part.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

When my hamburger costs $13 and it tastes like crap, and is presented in a boring manner with no garnish or any attempt at making it appealing to eat, I will not tip. I resent throwing my money away in any form, I appreciate the value of it, and I'm not going to tip for substandard or required service or food in this town.

Kelowna businesses charge through the nose for their services and many dont deliver the quality that you pay for. Tips are the first thing to go, next are the dollars I spend at their business.

Ever been to Denny's lately? Crabby waitresses, a plate that they throw down that looks like it came from a cafeteria in the 50's and glass water that tastes like goat urine. Just an example of why I wont spend one dollar more there.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Scynite wrote:Ever been to Denny's lately? Crabby waitresses, a plate that they throw down that looks like it came from a cafeteria in the 50's and glass water that tastes like goat urine. Just an example of why I wont spend one dollar more there.
Last time we went to Denny's the waitress dropped off our breakfast - that was the last time we saw her. After a considerable wait and a survey of the adjacent tables, we figured that she wasn't comong back. We wanted to take the scaps home for the dog & pay the bill so I took the dirty plate to the front counter and asked the hostess for a doggy bag and the bill. She said that we had to return to the table and ask the waitress for that, then she had a change of heart, probably because there were 20 people watching this and were statrting to wonder if they might meet the same fate and did it herself. No tip.
Not afraid to say "It".
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Goat Urine? How would one know what that tastes like?

I haven't been to Denny's in years. I think they still have the same problems....

As for tips, great service, great tip. Crap service, No tip. Simple really.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

The tips issue is out of control. Servers, hairdressers, estheticians, mechanics, delivery persons, etc, etc. It seems everyone expects a tip.

If you don't tip your hairdresser - good luck the next time you go in. Holy cow. When a salon is charging average rates of 60$ and up (depending on the length of your hair) and over $100 (average minimum) if you have a cut and colour, what is the average earnings of the hairdresser? Should we be expected to tip 10% (minimum)? Should we only be expected to tip the commission earned by the hairdresser and not the entire amount (the salon gets at least half)?

People who work at Tim's, MD's, BK, Arby's, etc., et all - they don't get tips. Neither do the hundreds of thousands of hard working cashiers and retail employees (etc) most of who strive to make peoples shopping decisions and purchase transactions an efficient and pleasant experience. I've been told many horror stories from cashiers in grocery stores, they have to put up with the most rude and arrogant customers. People seem to be just plain miserable when they're in a grocery store.

Some people while shopping in retail stores buying their favorite Mexx shirt or whichever treat the employees trying to do their jobs to company policy as if they are second class citizens! Next time you're in a store and someone greets you with a Hello, or Can I help you? Don't sneer at them or brush them off as if they are intruding into your personal life. You are in their store. The employees have first of all, the right to greet you, and secondly but more importantly, it is their job to acknowledge you. If you are rude - make sure you give them a tip on the way out for putting up with you.

If a server is rude, arrogant or thoughtless (brings your food on a dirty plate, or doesn't look like it should be served ie; cold, not enough food, whatever), inefficient (doesn't explain a overly long wait time, or doesn't refill drinks, etc) - Don't tip.

If you don't tip - you're a cheapskate, but I'm tired of all the tipping I seem to feel I have to do on a daily basis.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Where do you buy goat urine anyways?? Kinda awkward asking for it I would imagine?? Excuse me where do you keep your goat urine at? I looked in the milk section and didn't find it.

Isle 7 top shelf right beside the donkey sperm.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

You know, there's a whole science on tipping. I spent 1 week of my Advanced Executive Protection program learning the ins and outs of tipping.

Tipping should never be automatic, but if a person truly does go above and beyond, they should be tipped. Not doing so is pretty pathetic.

When I've done some of my protection work in Vegas, I was tipping almost everyone I see. Tipping doesn't only mean money, though. In a retail or food scenario, currency is the ideal tip, but professional tipping is often 'tools of the trade'. The Director of Security in one of the most prominent Vegas hotels assisted me farther than you could imagine, and I tipped him by giving him a very nice pocketknife. I also sent a letter of appreciation to his managers.

Even waiters in their high-end steakhouses and such I would tip to receive exceptional service. If you tip well, and tip first, you tend to set a precedence that others will abide by for the rest of your stay. Often, they will remember you, and every time you go to that location, you will receive fantastic service.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”