Rutland May Days 2008

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Rutland May Days 2008

Postby Tannah » May 19th, 2008, 3:22 pm

I have to say May days this year was much nicer than it has been in years.

The parade was pretty good, with only a few company just driving a company vehicle though (no parade ornamentations just a company vehicle in the parade). The biggest nitpick I've heard from allot of people about the parade, was the rusty old Kelowna City Works truck that had the Lady of the Lake contestants on it. That was a disappointment and a embarrassment. The young lady's were trying to make the best of it from what I could see, but they deserved better.

But over all I think it was a great success. Lots of interesting stuff about Rutland and surrounding area history, A new centennial book about Rutland and area. A bit of information on some proposed ideas future layout ideas for Rutland. The 2008 Rutland Grads helping out and running the concession stand by the beer garden, was nice to see as well.

I hope it only gets better from here To the next 100 years :)

What was everyone else's impressions? What did you think?
If I say something that is absurdly stupid or annoying. It's Sarcasm!
Tannah
Board Meister

Liked in: 4 posts

Re: Rutland May Days 2008

Postby Dave_1963 » May 19th, 2008, 8:53 pm

Our family thought the parade was pretty good. We really liked seeing the old RVFD truck with the wooden water tank on the back. The kids had fun tossing bean bags at stacks tin cans.
There was only one problem that we all noticed. We could barely find a garbage can anywhere (we could only find two in the whole park. As a result, by about 3 p.m., there was quite a bit of litter on the ground. Other than that, we all really enjoyed ourselves.
Another plus is that it is Rutland's 100th birthday, so that made it even more memorable!
Dave_1963
Banned

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby Scadam » May 21st, 2008, 10:50 am

We had a great time at the events on Sunday, my daughter and her friend came away with quite an assortment of prizes and tattooes. Good snacks, good games, good volunteers - it was a fun time.
Scadam
√úbergod

Liked in: 194 posts

Postby Luckylorac » May 21st, 2008, 7:20 pm

Cudos to the organizers fo the outdoor movie night! The huge screen was so cool!! Check out http://www.freshaircinema.ca
We had a fabulous night under the stars! :nyah:
Luckylorac

Liked in: 1 post

Postby FreeRights » May 21st, 2008, 7:32 pm

Rutland has been around for a hundred years, and hasn't degraded to Waterworld-esque tribal infighting? ;)

No, the parade was good. I had a great time.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Liked in: 2009 posts

Postby SelectUsername » May 21st, 2008, 8:57 pm

Dave_1963 wrote:We really liked seeing the old RVFD truck with the wooden water tank on the back.

I thought that was so cool!

I was pretty happy to see admission into the park was an affordable $2, although I didn't actually go in and see what prices inside were like.

I think my only complaint would be there doesn't seem to be as much in Centennial Park as there was a few years ago, but that's not just this year, that's the past few. Definitely the best parade in awhile though! I think I took somewhere around 159 pictures :-o
SelectUsername
Fledgling

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Cateyes » May 25th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Seems to me the only thing about May days most Ruland locals are interested in is the beer garden.
Find something to give a damn about!
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Piecemaker » May 25th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Cateyes wrote:Seems to me the only thing about May days most Ruland locals are interested in is the beer garden.

Seems to me you must not have been there, if that's what you believe.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1577 posts

Postby Dave_1963 » May 26th, 2008, 5:23 am

Cateyes seems to hate Rutland. The person thinks Rutland is nothing but wife-beating rednecks (Check out their thread entitled "Willow park pub has got to go"). From what I saw, there were not many people in the beer gardens. The crowd was mostly young families with kids, and a lot of seniors. The prices were really good. I took my nine year old son there at 10:30 A.M. with $20. We left at about 4 P.M. and we still had about $7 left. Pretty good value for the money if you ask me.
Dave_1963
Banned

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby Bsuds » May 26th, 2008, 5:54 am

Piecemaker wrote:
Cateyes wrote:Seems to me the only thing about May days most Ruland locals are interested in is the beer garden.

He must have been stuck in bridge traffic! :dyinglaughing:
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 11203 posts

Postby Cateyes » May 26th, 2008, 11:23 pm

Dave_1963 wrote:Cateyes seems to hate Rutland. The person thinks Rutland is nothing but wife-beating rednecks (Check out their thread entitled "Willow park pub has got to go").

I resent that remark, stop trying to put words in my mouth. Maybe only 30-40% of Rutland residents are wife beating rednecks and barefoot and pregnant welfare moms. Saying I think Rutland is "nothing but...." is ludicrous! :sillygrin:
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Cateyes » May 26th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Bsuds wrote:
Piecemaker wrote:

He must have been stuck in bridge traffic! :dyinglaughing:

Now that's funny! Much more creative than, "if you don't like it leave" and "your a poopy face".
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts