Documentaries

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Re: Documentaries

Post by StraitTalk »

The National Parks - America's Best Idea

http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/
Gigamortis
Fledgling

Post by Gigamortis »

Vanguard does some of the best investigative journalism I've ever seen and you can watch them for free online http://current.com/shows/vanguard/episodes/

I also really like Louis Theroux from BBC he hosts some awesome documentaries, mainly on fringe American groups like the Westboro Baptist Church. He also has a TV series called Weird Weekends definitely worth a look. You can also find most of these on Google video and Youtube.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity" -Edgar Allen Poe
rideforever
Übergod

Post by rideforever »

Just watched 'Capitalism: A Love Story' by Michael Moore. Very good, just like his others. Had a message in the end about how we should stand up against the corporate greed. But didn't really suggest anything we could do. I think while he's got people angered and motivated by his movie, he should try to come up with some ideas of ways to fight back.

Speaking of Moore, his movie 'Sicko' talked about how people helped out after sept 11 attacks and had health problems from all the dust they inhailed, but got no support from the govt. News said the other day that they finally got a settlement. Almost 10 years later, ha.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Michael Moore's movies are now documentaries?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Collapse

and

Burma VJ
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Captain Awesome wrote:Michael Moore's movies are now documentaries?

Michael Moore has had some positive effect on life. I respect the man.
Gigamortis
Fledgling

Post by Gigamortis »

StraitTalk wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Michael Moore's movies are now documentaries?

Michael Moore has had some positive effect on life. I respect the man.

Ditto, but he still extenuates the truth to suit his beliefs.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

10 Questions for the Dalai Lama
Dalai Lama Renaissance (Vols. 1 & 2)
The Unwinking Gaze

(Yes, even the last one is about the Dalai Lama.)
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Trouble the Water is an excellent doc...here's the link to the website and trailer, as well as a synopsis of the movie.

http://www.troublethewaterfilm.com/

The Story
Nominated for an Academy Award® for best feature documentary, TROUBLE THE WATER takes you inside Hurricane Katrina in a way never before seen on screen. It's a redemptive tale of two self-described street hustlers who become heroes-two unforgettable people who survive the storm and then seize a chance for a new beginning.

The film opens the day before the storm makes landfall-twenty-four year old aspiring rap artist Kimberly Rivers Roberts is turning her new video camera on herself and her 9th Ward neighbors trapped in the city. "It's going to be a day to remember," Kim declares. With no means to leave the city and equipped with just a few supplies and her hi 8 camera, she and her husband Scott tape their harrowing ordeal as the storm rages, the nearby levee breaches, and floodwaters fill their home and their community. Shortly after the levees fail, their battery dies.

Seamlessly weaving 15 minutes of this home movie footage shot the day before and the morning of the storm with archival news segments and verite footage shot over the next two years, directors Tia Lessin and Carl Deal tell a story of remarkable people surviving not only failed levees, bungling bureaucrats and armed soldiers, but also their own past.

Directed and produced by Tia Lessin and Carl Deal and Executive Produced by Joslyn Barnes and Danny Glover of Louverture Films, edited and co-produced by T. Woody Richman, with addiitonal editing by Mary Lampson, Trouble the Water features an original musical score by Neil Davidge and Robert Del Naja of Massive Attack, and the music of Dr. John, Mary Mary, Citizen Cope, TK Soul, John Lee Hooker, and the Free Agents Brass Band and introduces the music of Black Kold Madina.

Trouble the Water has been supported by grants from the Sundance Institute, the Open Society Institute, the Ms. Foundation for Women, the 21st Century Foundation, the Fledgling Fund, Working Films, the Ford Foundation, and is a project of Creative Capital.
http://www.troublethewaterfilm.com/content/pages/the_story/
Gigamortis
Fledgling

Post by Gigamortis »

"The Vice Guide to Liberia" was a real eye opener, but as a warning this doc was extremely disturbing. "The Vice Guide to North Korea" was equally good.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

The Wheel of Time (or Kalachakra)
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Gasland

Countdown to Zero

Inside Job

Client 9

The Tillman Story

You Don't Like the Truth
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Trailer....
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Addicted to Pleasure.
A four part BBC documentary. Actor Brian Cox reveals the rich and controversial past of Whisky, Tobacco, Opium and Sugar.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”