Documentaries

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Re: Documentaries

Post by Phoenix Within »

quietlywatching84 wrote:a good one is "this film is not yet rated"

Awesome movie! I've heard about he politics and hypocrisy of Hollywood, this show puts it into an interesting perspective. I highly recommend it.

Corneliousrooster wrote:Manufacturing Dissent

A Canadian Documentary that sheds a slightly different light on Micheal Moore and his documentaries.

I was a pretty big supporter of what Micheal Moore was doing until I saw this movie......

I've never been a fan of Michael Moore. He's know for making up a lot of his "facts". "Bowling for Columbine" and "Farenheit 9/11" are two of his films that are pretty heavily torn apart on the net. However, I've taken in interest in his last movie: "Sicko". I tried to see if I could find any sites that were disputing the facts he had in the film, and so far nothing. I did find a nursing site that was actually backing up some of his claims. http://noedb.org/library/features/10-facts-you-never-knew-from-sicko

I've seen some bits and pieces of Sicko, and it's actually very interesting. My only dislike of the movie is Moore's promoting of a website that help Americans "marry" Canadians to get cheaper health care.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Corneliousrooster wrote:Manufacturing Dissent

A Canadian Documentary that sheds a slightly different light on Micheal Moore and his documentaries.

I was a pretty big supporter of what Micheal Moore was doing until I saw this movie......

Is this movie available online? I would like to watch it.

The authors seem like excellent people in search of the truth and against spin. They are self described left wingers from Canada, and wanted to do documentary on Moore because they share a lot of his philosophies. But upon investigating they discovered the lies and manipulates the stories.

So, of course Fox News wanted to interview the authors. They knew Fox has hoping to turn it into a "the left are a bunch of liars" spin, so during the interview they pointed out that the right does the same thing (i.e. current Administration's distortion of the facts in regards to Iraq). Needless to say, the interview was cut short, and according to Wikipedia they could hear someone yelling, "get those a**holes off the air!"

Fox Interview here
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Fox news only supporting a right-wing agenda? Say it aint so! :dyinglaughing:
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Phoenix Within wrote:Fox news only supporting a right-wing agenda? Say it aint so! :dyinglaughing:

I wouldn't say they ONLY support a right-wing agenda, but it has been scientifically proven they definitely favour the right. http://www.economics.harvard.edu/facult ... 4_0614.pdf
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

recedingglacier wrote:Is this movie available online? I would like to watch it.

I was not able to find it online - most movie stores should carry it - Well worth the 3 bucks.

I was never so naive to think that the left didn't use these tactics, but the level at which Micheal Moore stoops to paint "his" picture is pretty low. This man has plenty of right wing fodder to sift through without having to manipulate it further to prove "his" point. It just undermines the whole point when it comes out later.

Phoenix Within wrote: I've taken in interest in his last movie: "Sicko". I tried to see if I could find any sites that were disputing the facts he had in the film, and so far nothing. I did find a nursing site that was actually backing up some of his claims. http://noedb.org/library/features/10-fa ... from-sicko

I've seen some bits and pieces of Sicko, and it's actually very interesting. My only dislike of the movie is Moore's promoting of a website that help Americans "marry" Canadians to get cheaper health care.

Look no further in "Sicko" than when he discusses the Canadian Health care system. The picture he paints certainly isn't one that Canadians actively using the system would describe.

He makes a lot of valid points in his movies - it is just how he stretches the truth and manipulates the footage that bothers me. There is plenty of good argument without all the deceit on his part. The segment on Charlton Heston in Bowling for Columbine alone is just plain disturbing at the lengths he went to paint him in a negative light.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Wal-Mart - The High Cost of Low prices

I just watched this one yesterday - perfect for that holiday shopping "Head Shake" :127:
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Corneliousrooster wrote:Look no further in "Sicko" than when he discusses the Canadian Health care system. The picture he paints certainly isn't one that Canadians actively using the system would describe.

I found Sicko's part on the Canadian system to be an accurate portrayal of my family's experiences within it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

jennylives wrote:

I found Sicko's part on the Canadian system to be an accurate portrayal of my family's experiences within it.

Ditto, and my rather large family has had several serious experiences in the last decade or so requiring use of the Canadian health care system. No complaints here.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

The Prince of Pot: The U.S. vs. Marc Emery on CBC's The Lens. Good stuff.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

I think I've seen this, most of it anyways on CBC Newsworld. This is actually really interesting stuff... and very discomforting to know how much our gov can bend to the americans against the will of citizens.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

quietlywatching84 wrote:

I think I've seen this, most of it anyways on CBC Newsworld. This is actually really interesting stuff... and very discomforting to know how much our gov can bend to the americans against the will of citizens.

It's annoying that the DEA has offices in Vancouver and Ottawa! Get out of our supposedly sovereign nation. I don't care who the current president is, the US has no business being on our soil.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

quietlywatching84 wrote:

It's annoying that the DEA has offices in Vancouver and Ottawa! Get out of our supposedly sovereign nation. I don't care who the current president is, the US has no business being on our soil.

They way the documentary played it out, if I remember correctly, Cretien didn't even care about that, he was going to steam ahead with decriminalization anyways, but once they got wind of that Washington dispatched the big boys to Ottawa to talk Cretien out of it. Cretiens logic was a majority of people supported de-criminalization so he should do it.

It's unnerving that something is probably illegal here, not because "we" disagree with it overwhelmingly, but because American politicians don't agree with it (and I don't buy that idea that the American population is all that concerned about marijuania either).

It's quite a little tale that documentary...
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

quietlywatching84 wrote:a good one is "this film is not yet rated"

a guy hires a private eye to find out who is on the top-secret "MPAA" ratings group. The uber-secret group that gives movies those "PG" "PG13" "R" and the infamous "NC17" ratings to movies.

They even submit the documentary to the board (it gets NC17 I believe)

Good watching, best of all, it's been released on a creative commons license so you can download P2P. I got mine from isohunt.com

That documentary is amazing. Thanks for recommending it! It did receive the NC-17 rating, which is certainly not shocking, after what they did to the MPAA (which deserves to be shut down in favour of a more opening rating system!).

I think it's sad that they decided to provide war documentaries with an NC-17 based on language (as if the soldiers fight in Iraq are using scripted language). The documentary's participants were right to say that "rating reality" is ridiculous.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Rebel Without a Pause ~ coverage of Noam Chomsky lectures/talks at McMaster during the lead up to the US's illegal invasion of Iraq in 2003.
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”