Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Re: Read any good books lately?

Postby Alexa1994 » Jun 19th, 2017, 11:06 pm

I have recently finished, Brain Tracy's book "Eat that Frog." In that book, you will get practical yet effective time management techniques and goal tracking skills. I would recommend that book to everyone especially students.

2 people like this post.
Alexa1994

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby ferri » Jun 26th, 2017, 7:52 am

Son: A Psychopath and his Victims by Jack Olsen Wow. This is about Spokane's South Hill rapist. I remember when this was going on and how strange the rapist and his family were, but I'd forgotten some of it. This is a great book if you like true crime reads! :D
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 7386 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Jun 26th, 2017, 8:08 am

*augh* I don't know how you can read that stuff, ferri!

As a matter of fact, this week is so stressful with scheduling and hosting and Grad and all, that I'm resorting to well-loved books to get me through it.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3249 posts

Postby ferri » Jun 26th, 2017, 9:40 am

[icon_lol2.gif] I love true crime books. I want to peek into their twisted little minds. :D
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

OldIslander likes this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby Queen K » Jun 26th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Queen K wrote:
The second is by J.K. Rowling, A Casual Vacancy. The adult version of England in today's World. Nothing Potter in that one.

Which book should I finish first?

:200: Didn't end as I hoped it would. Not at all. Nope. But J.K. Rowling has proven why she is a writer and a billionaire.
Please edit "Horgan" to "Premier Horgan" to show solidarity towards a successful tenure. Remember: The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room.

Piecemaker likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 8731 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Jul 7th, 2017, 8:47 am

Okay, here's something. Do you have a kindle account with Amazon? If you don't, make one. It will have to be .ca if you're in Canada, .com if you're in the US.

Go to search the books in your preferred genre. Now, change the sort method to "lowest price to highest".

Amazon REGULARLY has a pile of ebooks for free! Yes, you heard me - for free! It says $0.00, and you "buy" the book and it shows up on your account. Don't have a kindle? I don't! You can read it online on your computer!

I have burned through about 8 books this weekend. Some good, some *meh*.

Have fun! :biggrin:
I haven't failed until I quit.

2 people like this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3249 posts

Postby Nicolas_St » Jul 7th, 2017, 10:30 pm

I am reading a book avout Steve Jobs. Interesting, uneasy life, great person. Didn't know Jobs was adopted. Maybe this influenced his success as well.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Nicolas_St

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby ferri » Jul 21st, 2017, 4:07 pm

I just finished Hide and Seek by Jack Ketchum :crazy:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby Piecemaker » Jul 21st, 2017, 9:11 pm

Last few months I have been ODing on Swedish and Scottish crime fiction.
Reading Camilla Lackberg, Kristina Ohlsson and Stuart MacBride.
And a series set in Canada by Robert Rottenberg.
Also legal thrillers by John Grisham and a most unthinkable legal tale by William L. Myers called "A Criminal Defense".
Okanagan Regional Library and ebook circulation has been greatly enhanced by my efforts!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

2 people like this post.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1295 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jul 24th, 2017, 3:04 am

I read hide and seek as well. Not sure how much I liked it. I liked the main characters and the setting. Some of it was a bit far reached. I don't remember ever being with a couple of girls where they removed their garments so freely, but not for lack of trying.

I would love it though if there were a house here like the one in the book. I remember a few from back in the day and they be fun. We used to regularly scare the bejabbers out of each other.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

ferri likes this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 2976 posts

Postby ferri » Jul 24th, 2017, 9:14 am

mexi cali wrote:I read hide and seek as well. Not sure how much I liked it. I liked the main characters and the setting. Some of it was a bit far reached. I don't remember ever being with a couple of girls where they removed their garments so freely, but not for lack of trying.

I would love it though if there were a house here like the one in the book. I remember a few from back in the day and they be fun. We used to regularly scare the bejabbers out of each other.

[icon_lol2.gif] You know, I thought the same thing about those females. Especially when they were throwing their clothes out of moving vehicles.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby fvkasm2x » Jul 24th, 2017, 10:09 am

Can anyone recommend any great crime or suspense novelists? Maybe even some thriller types

Some of my favorite authors for style reference:

Lee Child
James Patterson
James Grippando
Steven King
Harlen Coben
F. Paul Wilson
Dean Koontz
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 982 posts

Postby Queen K » Jul 24th, 2017, 10:11 am

Sarah Waters, all of them.
Please edit "Horgan" to "Premier Horgan" to show solidarity towards a successful tenure. Remember: The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 8731 posts

Postby OldIslander » Jul 24th, 2017, 1:10 pm

ferri wrote:[icon_lol2.gif] I love true crime books. I want to peek into their twisted little minds. :D

Yes, me too -- I've read many of them over the years. With OJ recently back in the news, I was reminded of "Outrage" ...

https://www.amazon.ca/Outrage-Five-Reasons-Simpson-Murder/dp/0393330834

... by Vincent Bugliosi, the prosecutor who put Charles Manson behind bars for life. 'Outrage' was the definitive book about the whole OJ Simpson fiasco. You can sense that Bugliosi was furious when he wrote parts of it. And if there was any doubt in your mind, as to whether OJ might actually be actually innocent, by the end of this book, you're 100% convinced of his guilt and the scope of the travesty of justice that occurred at his trial.
"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote."

ferri likes this post.
OldIslander
Fledgling

Liked in: 278 posts

Postby ferri » Jul 24th, 2017, 1:23 pm

fvkasm2x wrote:Can anyone recommend any great crime or suspense novelists? Maybe even some thriller types

Some of my favorite authors for style reference:

Lee Child
James Patterson
James Grippando
Steven King
Harlen Coben
F. Paul Wilson
Dean Koontz

Christopher Smith http://christophersmithbooks.com/
ferri
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts