Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by Queen K »

Novel of note:

White Lotus, John Hersey

Why do I like a novel published in the 1960's and is hard to find except on Amazon.com?
Because it is futuristic in that white slaves are rounded up by white slavers and sold on boats bound for China. The protangonist was rounded up in Arizona and marched fettered to a port in California. Where as white slaves suffer, live or die, under identical conditions that black slaves suffered. Where as white slaves are traded amongst masters in China, achieving small victories and advances in reading and writing akin to black slaves in the South. And adopt religious axioms as their own to win their own freedom. Where the fight for freedom is Ghandish, adopting the non-violent stance of Yellow Bird in an unfriendly crowd may win respect or death.

I haven't read it for awhile but in an era where China, America's largest underwriter, is worried about the American treasury it may warrent a revival of sorts. A warning.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

I haven't read Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller for a while now, but since there's an article on its popularity in France, I thought I'd post a linkto that in here. :)

If you like dark comedy, this book will have you splitting your sides with laughter. :sunshine:
Where oh where’d my body go?
Africa or Mexico?
Where or where’d my body go?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Sick of those *bleep* clouds
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I am just starting Nicholas Sparks' The Choice. Love his books. Every one from him is guaranteed a great read!

I also have William Berkowitz's Community Dreams on the go. Have read that one about 4 times already. Anyone who is interested in improving their neighbourhood or community should get their hands on it. Well worth reading and reading again.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

keesa wrote:Novel of note:

White Lotus, John Hersey

One of my all-time favourites is by Hersey, 'A Bell for Adano' Thanks for the reminder that it's time to reread that book!
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

I'm currently reading (and enjoying) Paul Hawken's Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Social Movement in History Is Restoring Grace, Justice, and Beauty to the World.

I think one of the best reviews of the book is from Ray Anderson (the CEO of Interface). Those of you who've seen the documentary The Corporation will know Ray Anderson as one of the very few CEOs who has taken a progressive stance on environmental and social justice issues:

Ray Anderson wrote:Paul Hawken has written an important and significant book--intelligent, compelling, moving, and hopeful. In the broad sweep of a history of diffuse and seemingly unconnected events and people, he has found an emergent pattern. That pattern, amazing simultaneously in its intricacy and simplicity, gives clarity to the direction humankind is moving in its struggle for survival. Read and regain a sense of optimism for our grandchildren's grandchildren; and be motivated to ensure that they inherit a restored earth and an equitable society.

:sunshine:
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Some of you folks like the heavy reading! I prefer escapism in my off time. Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" is a favourite (the movie was based on the book only in that they got some of the names right).

L.E. Modesitt writes great sci-fi and fantasy (the Ecolitan and Recluce series).

Classically speaking, I enjoy Shakespeare (though I don't claim to have read all his works).

Other books I will re-read time and time again are by Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Alexander Dumas. More current authors I like are Anne McCaffrey, Mercedes Lackey, Rosemary Edgehill, Roger Zelazny, Terry Pratchett, and sometimes the late Robert Jordan (I hear his son will be finishing his series).
I haven't failed until I quit.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

usquebaugh wrote:I haven't read Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller for a while now, but since there's an article on its popularity in France, I thought I'd post a linkto that in here. :)

If you like dark comedy, this book will have you splitting your sides with laughter. :sunshine:

Like minds? I was reading excerpts from the Gun Seller just the other day! Have you ever read any of Tom Sharpe's books? His books are almost unique to me in that they would have me raucously laughing to the point of acute incontinence(minor)! :coffeecanuck: The only other author to have come close to that order of hilarity was Sven Hassel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sharpe
usquebaugh
Guru

Post by usquebaugh »

Born_again wrote:
usquebaugh wrote:I haven't read Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller for a while now, but since there's an article on its popularity in France, I thought I'd post a linkto that in here. :)

Like minds? I was reading excerpts from the Gun Seller just the other day! Have you ever read any of Tom Sharpe's books? His books are almost unique to me in that they would have me raucously laughing to the point of acute incontinence(minor)! :coffeecanuck: The only other author to have come close to that order of hilarity was Sven Hassel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sharpe

Thanks for suggesting Sharpe's work! :)

Do you hear Laurie's British accent while reading The Gun Seller? He was working on another novel, but I believe working on House has delayed that particular project, which is too bad, because his sense of humour is wicked! :sunshine:
Africa or Mexico?
Where’d my body go?
Have you seen my ghost?
Staring at the ground?
Have you seen my ghost?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

MommyRogers wrote:Some of you folks like the heavy reading! I prefer escapism in my off time. Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" is a favourite (the movie was based on the book only in that they got some of the names right).

Maybe you might be able to answer this... I heard a rumor before that this book may have influenced furure writer/directors like George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry, and that the Death Star trench scene in Star wars was inspired by an event in the book (i believe they showed it in the movie, flying through the ring around the moon?).
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Life is returning so something resembling normalcy, therefore I've started a new book.

First, I highly recommend The Five People You Meet in Heaven, by Mitch Alblum. Not for the faint of heart.

Second, I've just started The Constant Princess, by Phillipa Gregory. A Medieval feast for the soul, as per her usual high standard.

Third, although not a book, but I'll mention it here, THE TUDORS is being shown on t.v. again and as a series it is unsurpassed for historical recreations. Enjoy!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Phoenix Within wrote:
MommyRogers wrote:Some of you folks like the heavy reading! I prefer escapism in my off time. Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" is a favourite (the movie was based on the book only in that they got some of the names right).

Maybe you might be able to answer this... I heard a rumor before that this book may have influenced furure writer/directors like George Lucas and Gene Roddenberry, and that the Death Star trench scene in Star wars was inspired by an event in the book (i believe they showed it in the movie, flying through the ring around the moon?).

Whups, only just found this . . .

but I don't know the answer to that question. My copy is loaned out to a friend (and I want it back, need to re-read). From what I remember, there is no emphasis on flight in the book, it is all about the drops. There is some emphasis on angles and elliptical orbits, Heinlein really does (did?) like his science fiction to have science in it.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I like biographies/autobiographies. Here are the one I am reading right now:

Crusoe of Lonesome Lake (Ralph Edwards)
-This book has only received 5 stars on Amazon
- I have met Ralf Edward's son John (now well into his 80s)
- The Ralf Edwards homestead burned in a 2004 forest fire.
[/i]
Last edited by Glacier on Aug 16th, 2009, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Just bought the latest Sandra Brown...love her books
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

[quote="keesa"] Second, I've just started The Constant Princess, by Phillipa Gregory. A Medieval feast for the soul, as per her usual high standard.quote]

I am loving her books. I recommend "The Queens Fool" & "The Virgins Lover" I too am reading the Constant Princess.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

There is some emphasis on angles and elliptical orbits, Heinlein really does (did?) like his science fiction to have science in it.

If you like science fiction with real science, you should try Arthur C. Clarke, I highly recommend, they are still trying to apply his sci-fi to the real world to this day. I find his novels not the best read, but his short stories from the 1950s are fantastic!

I just finished the Journals of Simon Fraser, they are amazingly interesting to read, you can find them in book form all around town. I also just read "The Tipping Point", it was fantastic as well. I recommend both.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”