Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by Lady tehMa »

Okay,

read a couple ebooks I had snagged for free off amazon.

Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunter International, #1) by Larry Correia: good story, I am going to continue to read the series, I'm hooked. Library doesn't have book 2 (but has others) so now I'm actually considering buying it :admin:

Unenchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1) by Chanda Hahn: reads more young adult but I like the premise. I'm finding it quite interesting, I've ordered more of the series from the library.
I haven't failed until I quit.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

ferri wrote:So I've been making myself read books that i usually would have turned my nose up at. LOL

I just finished reading Lie Down In Darkness by William Clark Styron I had never read any of his books, but decided to give him a shot. :D (He wrote Sophie's Choice and The Confessions of Nat Turner) I love his writing! :D

Just a heads up. I bought a 4 book set by this author. Lie Down In Darkness, Set This House On Fire, The Confessions of Nat Turner and Sophie's Choice. The books in the set are in that order, all one download, so I read them one after the other. (I'm almost finished with Sophie's Choice). Anyway, if you have problems with depression, don't read these books. Especially without a break in between! My word. :135: (I have since learned that the author suffered from...depression. Imagine that!)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Just bought a book called the golden spruce, by John Valliant. Have only read a couple of chapters but it's good so far.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I've got two books just barely finished. Internet time and gardening are competing with them for time and the 'net is winning.

One is about an accidental death but the lesbian lovers who killed man hid their crime only to their horror is watching a young 17 yr old go get charged with murder at a time when people swung high for murder. And the know he's innocent, and will they be outed? In more ways than one that is. The man was one of the ladies husband, who was having an affair of his own and using a buddy to hide his infidelity. It's by Sarah Waters, I know her endings can be tricky indeed.

Spoiler alert: I think domineering overbearing suspicious mom is going to buy the farm soon, but I have to get back to the book and find out.

The second is by J.K. Rowling, A Casual Vacancy. The adult version of England in today's World. Nothing Potter in that one.

Which book should I finish first?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I'd probably go with the thriller - even with suspicions I hate loose ends.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Queen K wrote: ...

The second is by J.K. Rowling, A Casual Vacancy. The adult version of England in today's World. Nothing Potter in that one.

Which book should I finish first?

A Casual Vacancy...For what it's worth, I enjoyed this book.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I don't remember which one of you suggested: Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue, I think maybe CoffeeCanuck? Anyway, I just finished it. I loved it! Thanks whoever steered me in that direction! :D
― Albert Einstein
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

ferri wrote:I don't remember which one of you suggested: Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue, I think maybe CoffeeCanuck? Anyway, I just finished it. I loved it! Thanks whoever steered me in that direction! :D

That would be me I think - that is one of those well-written novels that I regret reading. I'm glad it was up your alley!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

All three of us have read it and it is disturbing because it's real. Those things really happen. :200:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote:All three of us have read it and it is disturbing because it's real. Those things really happen. :200:

Yup. I want my escapism to be escape from the ugliness, don't want to revisit it on my down time.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Lady tehMa wrote:
Queen K wrote:All three of us have read it and it is disturbing because it's real. Those things really happen. :200:

Yup. I want my escapism to be escape from the ugliness, don't want to revisit it on my down time.

I read for that too, but sometimes it's nice to see that when I have bad days they could be a lot worse.
― Albert Einstein
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I just read up on the book 'Room'. Sounds really good and I've added it to my to read list on Goodreads. Thanks Lady and ferri.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

"JRR Tolkien book Beren and Lúthien published after 100 years"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-40109396
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Looking forward to that one. Wonder how long before Peter Jackson gets "inspired"? :biggrin:

I've been reading Larry Correia - Finished "Hard Magic" Book 1 of the Grimnoir series - recommend it. Take our world, add magic with an interesting rule-set, then set it in the 30's or so. Very cool.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I'm just about to start Second Honeymoon by James Patterson. I've never read his books before so I hope I will enjoy him as much as David Baldacci, as James has a whack of books, stand alone and series.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”