Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by Captain Awesome »

I finished Million Little Pieces by James Frey. Supposedly an autobiography.

Pretty good, even though apparently he made up some of the stuff.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Otter
Board Meister

Post by Otter »

If you like good mystery novels I suggest reading Louise Penny's books. Still Life is the first in the series. Don't read the newest one first as you won't understand what's going on and why the end of that one is so very important.

Here's her website addy: http://www.louisepenny.com/

She's from Quebec (stories set there as well) and she's won just about every major Mystery Writers' award there is and the newest one in the series hit number one on the NY Time's Best Seller List.

I've read most of them at least twice, she's that good.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Room by Emma Donoghue.

OMIGOD! pre-dates Amanda Berry's rescue and that of her five year daughter by 3 years.

Yes, the parallels are not precise, but frightening enough. The most and I do mean the MOST frightening lines in the whole book is when Old Nick is telling Ma (we never learn her real name) that she has it good in compared to others. "Others" he knows of?

I've always firmly believe that these predators do not work alone, that they "share" their bounties.

Let's just say Room is told through the voice of a five year old and it stays true to the voice all the way to the end.

It was difficult to put down.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Read that. Yes, well written, but it is one of those books I will never read again *shudders*

"An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" by Chris Hadfield. I picked it up from the library yesterday - it is excellent. I can see a number of Castanuts really liking this one as well, in particular QK and Captain Awesome.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I know what you mean. I now plan to read The Last Lecture.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Captain Awesome wrote:I finished Million Little Pieces by James Frey. Supposedly an autobiography.

Pretty good, even though apparently he made up some of the stuff.

Apparently he made up most of the stuff. Oprah raked him over the coals on her show after she found out he lied on most of it, after she endorsed it.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Lady tehMa wrote:"An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" by Chris Hadfield. I picked it up from the library yesterday - it is excellent. I can see a number of Castanuts really liking this one as well, in particular QK and Captain Awesome.

I don't buy a lot of books, but that's definitely on the list!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

really need piper...now the movie...the book...awesome book.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ziegenalp by Irma (Marì) Ruffa.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Three Threads by Gary Triplett - quite good.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The Prophet and the Astronomer: Apocalyptic Science and the End of the World by Marcelo Gleiser.

Interesting to read how the history of man and religion has always been in the "end days".
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
c2c
Fledgling

Post by c2c »

I just finished "The Dogs Are Eating Them Now (Our War in Afghanistan)" by Graeme Smith. This is an interesting, sobering and brutal assessment of the war in Afghanistan and well worth the read.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

For sci-fi fans "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi is a pleasant departure from the spaceships and ray-guns theme. An all-to-possible vision of what could lay ahead on the road of environmental abuse and manipulation in a riveting story. Hugo and Nebula award winner.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.amazon.com/Community-Dreams- ... ity+dreams

Want a better neighbourhood, a better community? This book is loaded with ways to improve them.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Looks like a find Waldo.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”