Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by Glacier »

An alphabetical who's who of BC authors from A to Z. Happy reading. http://bcbooklook.com/about/whos-who/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

The Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross - young adult but I'm really enjoying them.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/51161-steampunk-chronicles
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

This is quite a good series too (I've been book binging lately)

http://www.alterkate.com/kate-locke/

The Immortal Empire series, reads like a cross between The Parasol Protectorate and The Chronicles of St. Mary's.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Magic Ex Libris by Jim C. Hines

What if there was magic to be found in books, other than imagination? What if you could reach into a book and pull out what was described within?

http://www.jimchines.com/project/magic-ex-libris/
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

I just finished Maya Angelou's Letter to My Daughter. Absolutely loved it! I plan on buying a copy to give to my own daughter.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman.

The Okanagan Library has the graphic novels in stock

The Sandman library

A total of ten trade paperbacks contain the full run of the series and have all been kept in print. In 2010, Vertigo began releasing a new edition of Sandman books, featuring the new coloring from the Absolute Editions.[58]

Preludes and Nocturnes collecting The Sandman #1–8, 1988–1989: Dream is imprisoned for decades by an occultist seeking immortality. Upon escaping, he must reclaim his objects of power while still in a weakened state, confronting an addict to his dream powder, the legions of Hell, and an all-powerful madman (Doctor Destiny) in the process. Guest starring several DC Comics characters including John Constantine, Mister Miracle, the Martian Manhunter, the Scarecrow, Etrigan the Demon, and the original Sandman. It features the introduction of Lucifer, with a cameo by Batman.
The Doll's House collecting The Sandman #9–16, 1989–1990,: Morpheus tracks down rogue dreams that escaped the Dreaming during his absence. In the process, he must shatter the illusions of a family living in dreams, disband a convention of serial killers, and deal with a "dream vortex" that threatens the existence of the entire Dreaming. Features Hector Hall as the Bronze Age Sandman.
Dream Country collecting The Sandman #17–20, 1990: This volume contains four independent stories. The imprisoned muse Calliope is forced to provide story ideas, a cat seeks to change the world with dreams, William Shakespeare puts on a play for an unearthly audience, and a shape-shifting immortal (obscure DC Comics character Element Girl) longs for death.
Season of Mists collecting The Sandman #21–28, 1990–1991: Dream travels to Hell to free a former lover, Nada, whom he condemned to torment thousands of years ago. There, Dream learns that Lucifer has abandoned his domain. When Lucifer gives Hell's key (and therefore, the ownership of Hell) to the Sandman, Morpheus himself becomes trapped in a tangled network of threats, promises, and lies, as gods and demons from various pantheons seek ownership of Hell. Wesley Dodds and Hawkman (Carter Hall) appear in one panel.
A Game of You collecting The Sandman #32–37, 1991–1992: Barbie, a New York divorcée (introduced in The Doll's House), travels to the magical realm that she once inhabited in her dreams, only to find that it is being threatened by the forces of the Cuckoo. This series introduces the character of Thessaly, who will play a key role in Morpheus' eventual fate.
Fables and Reflections collecting The Sandman #29–31, 38–40, 50; Sandman Special #1; and Vertigo Preview No. 1, 1991–1993: A collection of short stories set throughout Morpheus' history, most of them originally published directly before or directly after the "Game of You" story arc. Four issues, dealing with kings and rulers, were originally published under the label Distant Mirrors, while three others, detailing the meetings of various characters, were published as the "Convergences" arc. Fables and Reflections includes the Sandman Special, originally published as a stand-alone issue, which assimilates the myth of Orpheus into the Sandman mythos, as well as a very short Sandman story from the Vertigo Preview promotional comic.
Brief Lives collecting The Sandman #41–49, 1992–1993: Dream's erratic younger sister Delirium convinces him to help her search for their missing brother, the former Endless Destruction, who left his place among the "family" three hundred years before. Their quest is marred by the death of all around them, and eventually Morpheus must turn to his son Orpheus to find the truth, and undo an ancient sin.[59]
Worlds' End collecting The Sandman #51–56, 1993: A "reality storm" strands travelers from across the cosmos at the "Worlds' End Inn". To pass the time, they exchange stories. Guest-starring Prez and Wildcat.
The Kindly Ones collecting The Sandman #57–69 and Vertigo Jam No. 1, 1993–1995: In the longest Sandman story, Morpheus becomes the prey of the Furies, avenging spirits who torment those who spill family blood.
The Wake collecting The Sandman #70–75, 1995–1996: The conclusion of the series, wrapping up the remaining loose ends in a three-issue "wake" sequence, followed by three self-contained stories. Features a guest appearance by Wesley Dodds, and cameos by Batman, the Martian Manhunter, Clark Kent, Darkseid, the Phantom Stranger, Doctor Occult, John Constantine, and the Black Spider.

The Sandman, written by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by J. H. Williams III, returned in October 2013 as a limited series. The six-part prequel, Overture, tells the previously untold story that lead to Morpheus' capture by Roderick Burgess in the first issue of the monthly series.[60][61]
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm reading J.K. Rowling's The Casual Vacancy. It's England raw. Nothing touches it for realism today.

Oh and I thought this was sweet, but who'd read one book over 25 times? I've never done that, I can hardly read a book twice. Except for The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy. Those are must-dos.

https://www.castanet.net/news/World/192 ... er-35-year
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I constantly re-read books. Why bother buying them if you're only going to read them once? I find that the library is an awesome resource for finding the books I do want to keep in my collection.

For me it's like visiting with an old friend, or sometimes with a casual friend. I lived in books in my high school years - it helped me cope. So now, rereading those books is like visiting that old friend. Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber came out as one book, I ended up buying that monster (it's huge!). As a teen I had all the individual books - if I close my eyes I can still see my little collection on my bookshelf.

I ended up selling them at D&D used books on hwy 33 (remember that store?) during some hungry years. I had MZB's Darkover series, Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. A number of the Xanth novels, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever - and so many more. Different books appeal to me now, live on my bookshelves. I collect old novels, pre 1900. I read Rothfuss, Paolini, Carriger.

I am a speed-reader, a habit I picked up as a youth. I find it hard to slow down. I read books in great gulps, then I go back for a second run-through and catch details I missed on the first. A good book immerses me in the world - it is like a movie happening around me.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I re-read books too. In fact I just re-read Blue Rose Trilogy by Peter Straub. :D
It's kind of funny that you are discussing this right now, I am reading "The Afterlife of Billy Fingers" by Annie Kagan I was just a chapter or two into the book and already thinking, "This is so deep I'll have to read it again, and again..."
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

^^^

I LOVED The Afterlife of Billy Fingers. The books I read I almost always borrow from the library, but I bought this book so I'd have it to re-read.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I loved it too, and I know it's going to be read by me several times. :D
I follow the author on facebook and someone asked her if he still talks to her. He does. So I'm hoping there is another book in the making. :D
― Albert Einstein
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Yes, I follow her on FB as well. I love all the nice pics with quotes from the book. I save them on Pinterest.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I just happened to see one of the meme's one day and looked up the book. LOL

Have you read Hello from Heaven? I'm looking at it but not sure if I should buy it. [icon_lol2.gif]
― Albert Einstein
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Re-reading books?

Two favourites I always return to over and over... To Kill a Mockingbird and The Good Earth.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

ferri wrote:I just happened to see one of the meme's one day and looked up the book. LOL

Have you read Hello from Heaven? I'm looking at it but not sure if I should buy it. [icon_lol2.gif]

No, I haven't read that one, but it looks great. I've added it to my 'to read' list. ;)

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”