Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Read any good books lately?

Post by Queen K »

Ok, maybe not lately but what is everyone's fav. title, or author or trilogy or set? Where's you fav. book hunting grounds? Do you'all like Oprah picks?

I love what novelist Sarah Dunant does with Medieval history in In The Company of the Courtesan.

And....what about everyone else? Fav novel or non-fiction?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
warden
Übergod

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by warden »

I recently finished 'An Imperfect Offering' by Dr. James Orbinski. Dr. Orbinski was a medical professional with Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) and was eventually elected as the international president of the organization.

The book details his experiences in Somalia, Rwanda (during the 1994 genocide), Afghanistan and if I remember correctly a couple of others. Through this and his additional commentary he provides a compelling view of humanitarian aid.

I also recently read '1 Dead in Attic' by Chris Rose, detailing the aftermath living in New Orleans immediately following Hurricane Katrina. It's an excellent book, especially if you've ever visited New Orleans (before or after the storm).

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I am currently completely engrossed in the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer.

Go figure. :129:
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Gordian Knot
Übergod

Post by Gordian Knot »

Before my daughter was born in July, I read a tonne of books. I read "The Other Boleyn Girl" (which was significantly better than the movie). I read "Then She Found Me", I read "Three Cups of Tea" (which I think should be required reading for everyone!), I read "Life of Pi", read William Shatners latest Autobiography as well as Sidney Poitier's autobiography, and the list goes on. Since then, however, I have been reading the same book. Usually I can read a book in 3-5 days. Gotta love kids!

Anyway, I'm currently reading "Catch-22" and loving it. I can't believe I have never read this book before. I can only read a chapter a night because of being utterly exhausted by bed time, but I am loving it and am actually enjoying savouring a book!!

My favourite books are so varied. I love the classic "Gone with the Wind" and the historical romance "Outlander". I also love the fantasy novel "Wizard's First Rule". Though it is the first in a very long series, it's the only one I really like. "A Fine Balance" and "The Power of One" round out my favourites!
A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years and in your heart till the day you die.
-- Mary Mason
Smuckers
Board Meister

Post by Smuckers »

keesa wrote:Ok, maybe not lately but what is everyone's fav. title, or author or trilogy or set? Where's you fav. book hunting grounds? Do you'all like Oprah picks?

I love what novelist Sarah Dunant does with Medieval history in In The Company of the Courtesan.

And....what about everyone else? Fav novel or non-fiction?

You would prob love Phillipa Gregory, she wrote The Other Boleyn Girl. I'm just starting her newest one The Other Queen.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I recently finished I Am America And So Can You by Stephen Colbert. It was a very entertaining read.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh I loved The Other Boylen Girl. A new author, Brenda Vantrease, wrote The Illuminator, another first class treatment of Medieval times. But its not an easy novel to find.

I started Three Cups of Tea and intend to get back to it. Sometimes I have several books going at the same time but with Fall not willing to get cold and blowsy just yet I'm still in the sunflowers. :sunshine:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

One book linked to the other.

I not too long ago re-read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. An extremely entertaining read that goes far beyond the gross overuse of drugs.

Which lead to:

"Coming of Age in Samoa" by Margaret Mead. I found this book highly informative and mostly very engaging, although I'll admit some chapters do get a little dry.

I recommend both books.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Has anyone read The Shack?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

100 Meter Dash to the Outhouse by Willy Makitt and illustrated by Betty Wohnt
Last edited by Glacier on Oct 1st, 2008, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Smuckers
Board Meister

Post by Smuckers »

I just read Lullabies For Little Criminals - Heather O'Neil. A great read by a Canadian authour. Set in Montreal and is based around a young girl who is being raised by a junkie father. Impossible to put down.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Smuckers wrote:I just read Lullabies For Little Criminals - Heather O'Neil. A great read by a Canadian authour. Set in Montreal and is based around a young girl who is being raised by a junkie father. Impossible to put down.

Great Book. I read that last year and was impressed.

I just finished the new Maeve Binchy. She is fluff, but a light read and entertaining.
The Other Bolyen Girl was great too, I wasn't sure I would like it, but was impressed.
James Frey, wrote a Fiction book called "Bright Shiny Morning. A fabulous book. Lots of little interesting tidbits about California at the beginning of each chapter. I was really involved with the charater and was sad to see the book come to an end.

I am going to start tonight ,The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

I'm currently reading Watchmen. Yes, I know it's just a "graphic novel", but it won a Hugo award and made Time magazine's list of the 100 Greatest Novels of the 20th Century. I heard they stayed pretty closet to the novel for the movie, so I want to see how close it is once the movie does come out. Next on my list to read is Canadians in the Civil War by Claire Hoy.

Favorite series is the Myth Adventures series by Robert Asprin, or the Red Dwarf series by Grant Naylor (and the tie-in books written by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor respectively).

A lot of the other books I tend to read is more spiritually based.

Favorite place to go book shopping is usually Costco's. Their book prices are far below a lot of other places. I usually got to Chapters just to look for books (unless they got a bargain on them) and then order them online in their website since it's usually a lot cheaper to do it that way. Also, if you collect Air Miles, you can log into the chapters site through "My Shops" on the Air Miles site an collect air miles for your purchase!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

My finance just finished a travel/adventure book "Lost in Mongolia" by Colin Angus. The same author adventurer who wrote about rafting the Amazon and did a screening of the documentary at the Laural building. I'm starting it next.

Bill Bryson writes alot of travel adventure humour books but his one off is "A Short History of Nearly Everything". It's proponderous in some spots but man, once you get into it it gets into you because you realize how little you know about the men and women behind the sciences. I knew very little indeed.

I loved "Kiss of the Fur Queen" by Thomson Highway too. Anyone else reading anything lately?
d_bengert
Board Meister

Post by d_bengert »

well if you like to laugh, read the number series by janet evanovich, I wake my kids up at night because I laugh so much while reading them
You put on soft music, I'll put on my spiderman pajamas and we'll do things I'm gonna tell my friends we did anyway.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hi D_bengert, thanks for the tip, I love to laugh, Janet E. is up to what now #14? Thats alot of good stuff, next time I have a chance I'll grab one of hers.

Just finished Three Cups of Tea and I definitely need something lighter now.

:castanet:

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”