Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
warden
Übergod

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by warden »

fvkasm2x wrote:Can anyone recommend any great crime or suspense novelists? Maybe even some thriller types

Some of my favorite authors for style reference:

Lee Child
James Patterson
James Grippando
Steven King
Harlen Coben
F. Paul Wilson
Dean Koontz

Jeffery Deaver - start with The Bone Collector (ignore the movie) and work through the whole Lincoln Rhyme series. His Kathryn Dance series is great too.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Hey Warden! Have missed you!
Well fvkasm2x:
A little tamer, but I found them to have complex characters, are the Louise Penny novels. They are set in Quebec and focus on cases investigated by a police inspector named Armand Gamache.
Camilla Lackberg, Kristina Ohlsson and Kjell Eriksson write crime fiction that keeps me up late (or early) because I can't put it down.
"Identical" by Scott Turow is an exciting read.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Read Smash Cut by Sandra Brown. Legal/crime thriller with a few twists and turns. Keep me up past midnight to finish it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I just finished this one https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01G1K1RTA/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

"The Lost City of the Monkey God". It is about the history of searching for a particular lost city in Honduras. It covers all sorts of topics, from archeological to history to social and political, and even to pathology.

It was a really interesting read!
I haven't failed until I quit.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Getting caught up in books by Michael Connelly. Reading the Lincoln Lawyer series. On to the Detective Bosch books next.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I HATED History class when I was in school. It was so boring I thought I would die. Now I'm catching up on what I missed. [icon_lol2.gif]

John Jakes is an amazing author. He picks you up and drops you right in the middle of the things pretty much. Right now I am reading a trilogy by him, the "North and South" trilogy. About the civil war. It's starts with the build up to it and it makes you feel like you are there, and you realize it was a lot more complex than slavery. He has written a ton of books and I am so happy. lol

Here's the blurb from Amazon if you're interested at all. :D

In North and South, the first volume of John Jakes’s acclaimed and sweeping saga, a friendship is threatened by the divisions of the Civil War. In the years leading up to the Civil War, one enduring friendship embodies the tensions of a nation. Orry Main from South Carolina and George Hazard from Pennsylvania forge a lasting bond while training at the United States Military Academy at West Point. Together they fight in the Mexican-American War, but their closeness is tested as their regional politics diverge. As the first rounds are fired at Fort Sumter, Orry and George find themselves on different sides of the coming struggle. In John Jakes’s unmatched style, North and South launches a trilogy that captures the fierce passions of a country at the precipice of disaster.

In Love and War, the Main and Hazard families clash on and off the Civil War’s battlefields as they grapple with the violent realities of a divided nation. With the Confederate and Union armies furiously fighting, the once-steadfast bond between the Main and Hazard families continues to be tested. From opposite sides of the conflict, they face heartache and triumph on the frontlines as they fight for the future of the nation and their loved ones. With his impeccable research and unfailing devotion to the historical record, John Jakes offers his most enthralling and enduring tale yet.

In Heaven and Hell, the battle between the Mains and Hazards—and Confederate and Union armies—comes to a brilliant end. The last days of the Civil War bring no peace for the Main and Hazard families. As the Mains’ South smolders in the ruins of defeat, the Hazards’ North pushes blindly for relentless industrial progress. Both the nation and the families’ long-standing bond hover on the brink of destruction. In the series’ epic conclusion, Jakes expertly blends personal conflict with historical events, crafting a haunting page-turner about America’s constant change and unyielding hope.

This “entertaining [and] authentic dramatization” (The New York Times) is a thrilling tale of shifting loyalties, set during one of the darkest moments in American history.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There was a Mini Series of this back in the mid 80's too.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

These books are amazing just because I am enjoying history. [icon_lol2.gif]

Edited to add:

You know, I sort of remember seeing the ads for that mini series now that I think about it and decided it would be much too boring for me! hahaha (I'm glad I didn't watch it because books are always better anyway.)
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

ferri wrote:These books are amazing just because I am enjoying history. [icon_lol2.gif]

Edited to add:

You know, I sort of remember seeing the ads for that mini series now that I think about it and decided it would be much too boring for me! hahaha (I'm glad I didn't watch it because books are always better anyway.)

I've seen the mini-series and my wife has watched it several times. It's actually really good although I can't compare it to the book which I haven't read. For some reason it always seems easier to read the book and then watch a movie or mini-series rather than the other way around. Still, I'll put it on my list to read at some point.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

warden wrote:Jeffery Deaver - start with The Bone Collector (ignore the movie) and work through the whole Lincoln Rhyme series. His Kathryn Dance series is great too.

Yes, thanks. I think I might have read 1 or 2 of those. I recognize the character names anyway (and not from that movie lol)
I see what you did

Post by I see what you did »

so far this summer

The lost city of Z by David Grann
    Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (author's preferred text)
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Neil Gaimen is awesome.
I highly recommend his work - I actually bought a copy of Stardust, and am considering The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Not a huge fan of Neverwhere, though it's his most known.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Coraline is terrifying.

You know how way back I said I would read young adult books just to see what's in them?

Well, I've been reading a series called My Story. Written by different authors, these books are written as diaries by pre-teens. Now one has to suspend a bit of belief more than once in a while that they learned how to read and write and how, and how they got their information on what is going on. Having said that, they make for great introductions to historical events from their point of view.

I finished The Great Plague, set in London.
The Hunger, set in Ireland.
The Blitz is not read yet.
I'm in the middle of To Kill a Queen, re Mary Queen of Scots.

So far none of them are written in a sentimental way.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
I see what you did

Post by I see what you did »

Queen K wrote:Coraline is terrifying.

nice, i almost forgot gaiman wrote Coraline. Haven't read it yet but the wife and i thoroughly enjoyed the movie (we love the creepy stuff). will add it to the list! :up:
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Went to visit my daughter and she gave me "The Calling" by Ingar Ash Wolfe to read. It's a law-enforcement mystery thriller set in Ontario. Protagonist is a smart female inspector who is about 60, surrounded by a good cast of supporting characters. Okanagan Regional Library has "the Calling" and has the next three books in the series. Keeps me up at night!

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”